• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Restore nandroid backup over different ROM?

Phazon

Aug 16, 2010
OK, I think I know the answer to this, but want to check as I'm new to rooting. Bear with me...

So I have a nandroid backup of the Sense ROM I was using up until recently. I've wiped and installed a Cyanogen ROM to check out Android without Sense - can I then just restore the old back over the Cyanogen ROM and get back t how I was, or do I need to re-flash the other sense-based ROM I was using first?

Second question - if I want to move between different ROMs without losing my contacts, SMS etc, should I just flash it without doing the wipe first? What if I have to wipe - then I need some other kind of app-based backup to restore?

Thanks for helping a bit of a noob :)

1 - yes. It rewrites data, system and cache. Obviously sms and call logs will be out of date

2 - Always take a titanium backup. You can some sense roms to other sense roms and some aosp roms to other aosp roms. definitely not sense to aosp though. You can always try without, but you may find that it will not boot.

Be careful with titanium restores though, if you had to wipe to get it to boot, do not restore everything.

You could also try mybackup pro for sms and call logs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones