1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Restore with TWRP to new tablet

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by n7user, Feb 4, 2014.

1. n7user

n7user Lurker
    None

Dec 11, 2013
    Seattle
    I have just recently received a replacement Nexus 7. (I had very annoying unresponsive touch screen issues.) I made a system & data backup with TWRP before I sent the old device in. I tried to restore the backup from OTG USB drive with TWRP but did not see the backup. I made a dummy backup with TWRP and it looks like the recovery image is stored under /TWRP/BACKUP/<n7 serial number>. I then copied the files from the old location to the folder with the new serial number. This allowed me to do a system restore.

So far this seems to work. Even Kindle seems to work ok. What I would like to know is if any of the apps (Google or 3rd party) are tied to the original serial number & could cause problems?

Regards,
    Stefan

Advertisement

2. WoohooGuy

WoohooGuy Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Male
    woodworking
    boston ma
    If anything the device ID changed, it shouldn't be an issue as any service that uses the device ID will simply consider it a new device.

If you used Android Lost for example you will see the website report 2 devices associated to your Google account, you will have to simply have to delete the old device profile.

3. n7user

n7user Lurker
    None

Dec 11, 2013
    Seattle
    Thanks for the information.

I did find some problems. The contents of the emulated sdcard was not backed up by TWRP backup and it seems I have lost all the photos I have taken with the device. I have also used Helium to do an alternative backup & that did not save the DCIM folder either. Very annoying.

4. WoohooGuy

WoohooGuy Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Male
    woodworking
    boston ma
    Pictures and other data on &#8221;removable&#8221; media like an sdcard or in the case of the N7 emulated memory is generally not backed up by nandroids, Titanium Backup, Helium, and other similar apps.

You need to use a service like Copy, DropBox, or Box.com to sync and backup your personal files like pictures, videos, and music.

I highly suggest Copy.com, I personally use it and love it. Box.com is very nice as well but you will need a secondary app to sync as its android implementation is currently lacking in automated features.

n7user likes this.