• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Restoring a nandroid backup on my current ROM?

Double44

Jan 15, 2013
My Samsung Galaxy S 4G is going through some pretty awesome times in its life right now. However, I'm worried that flashing in the wrong direction is going to cut its winning streak short. It should be noted that I am running UNOFFICIAL Cyanogenmods found on XDA, these ROMs are specifically modded for my T959V model. ClockworkMod will be abbreviated as CWM, Cyanogenmod as CM. Below is the full history of this device in chronological order:

>Samsung Stock KJ6 (Gingerbread 2.3.6, BML)
>Root w/SuperOneClick
>Bhundven's Subtly Modified Stock with CWM5 + Voodoo Lagfix (kernel w/CWM5.0.2.7)
>Valhalla Black Edition (Gingerbread, BML, CWM5, bhundven's KJ6 Beta2 kernel)
>Cyanogenmod 7.2 (Gingerbread, MTD, CWM5.0.2.8, cyanogenmod-GB kernel)
>Cyanogenmod 9 (Ice Cream Sandwich, MTD, CWM6.0.1.0, 2.6.35.7-cm-ICS kernel w/Hefe Kernel changes)
>Cyanogenmod 10 (Jellybean 4.1.x, MTD, CWM6.0.1.9, 2.6.35.7-cyanogenmod-JB Proton kernel)
>Cyanogenmod 9 (Ice Cream Sandwich, MTD, CWM6.0.1.0, 2.6.35.7-cm-ICS kernel w/Hefe Kernel changes)
>Cyanogenmod 10.1 (Jellybean 4.2.2, MTD, CWM6.0.3.2, Aries 3.0.84 kernel)

After flashing CM10, I got caught in a bootloop (a confirmed bug in the ROM), and I had to use CWM to restore a CM9 Nandroid/backup. I then flashed to CM10.1, and this is where I'm currently at. However, I want to go back to CM9 once again, the GPS only works on the ICS ROMs.

Can I restore CM9 using my current version CWM, or does the recovery version have to be the exact same build? I didn't seem to have any problems restoring CM9 from CM10, and I'm still not sure if there were any consequences in doing that.

From what I've read, restoring has to be done on the same Recovery version as the Nandroid. I've watched many Youtube videos of people suggesting that they flash ROMs on "a daily basis", I'm trying to figure out how they are comfortable with this, given such a restrictive restore environment.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones