• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Restoring replacement S4 with Titanium Backup Pro

This has probably been coverered a gazillon times, so apologies upfront. So I got a replacement phone today. MY old one works except for a crackling speakerphone due to phone falling in creek from kayaking. My old phone was recently rooted. I have backed it up with Titanium Pro and I backed up to DropBox (I think it worked).

What are the next steps for restoring on the new phone? I assume I need to root the new phone first before doing anything. Or maybe before that make sure new phone has latest software (KitKat)? Next, do I download titanium pro from the market place and Dropbox and just restore everything? Or do I just restore from the SD card? I'm a bit confused with the exact steps to take. Thanks!

Titanium Backup only works with rooted phones, so yes you have to root your new phone first.
Beyond that, it really doesn't make much difference after that. If TB will restore from Dropbox then you can do that (the new phone would naturally have to have Dropbox installed). Or you can copy everything from the dropbox to the new phone - it's up to you. In either case you'll have to point TB to where the backups are. I don't recall the exact steps to do that, but it's under the TB settings. It's something obvious like 'select backup location'.

Do NOT restore any apps other than those you downloaded from an app store. If you restore any of the system apps you'll likely cause some instability in the new phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones