• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root restoring ringtones from PC to Phone

congaman59

Jan 29, 2011
near ATL
I have a couple of ringtones I had made from mp3's. My memory card failed and I had to get another one and reinstall my rom. I want to know how do I move the ringtones from my backup on the pc to the phone? I tried to put them in the download folder on the phone but the phone didn't see them. At least not when I tried the download icon in the menu of the phone.

I have a couple of ringtones I had made from mp3's. My memory card failed and I had to get another one and reinstall my rom. I want to know how do I move the ringtones from my backup on the pc to the phone? I tried to put them in the download folder on the phone but the phone didn't see them. At least not when I tried the download icon in the menu of the phone.

Try to create a file structure like this:

Media / Ringtones

Media / Notifications

Under the media folder create both the ringtones and notifications folders, place the appropriate files in each folder and your phone should see them no problem. :)

I've used this file structure since I've had my Hero, I can't remember any roms where it didn't work. I'm sure there are some where it wont. :eek:

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0
Try to create a file structure like this:

Media / Ringtones

Media / Notifications

Under the media folder create both the ringtones and notifications folders, place the appropriate files in each folder and your phone should see them no problem. :)

I've used this file structure since I've had my Hero, I can't remember any roms where it didn't work. I'm sure there are some where it wont. :eek:

This is the proper way to structure the ringtones and notifications and alarms for your phone. you can check it out under the /system/media folder on the phone as well.

Me I delete everything in the /system/media/notification & ringtone folders and replace them with my own stuff. why well i'm anal like that.

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
Running MikG 3.11

set it up how Granite1 suggested. on the SDCARD set up /media/Notifications and then /media/Ringtones place each in proper folder then reboot the phone clear cache and dalvic then reboot phone and go and choose the ringtones / notifications you want. The later is really necessary but does make it nice an clean.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones