• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root restoring sd card data from computer?

hey. got a quick question. can i delete the zip files that are in the main section of my sd card in windows explorer? after i use them i mean? i am keeping a backup tho of all the stuff i download (root related) on my computer. here's some examples of what i am talking about:

CTMod3.5.zip
KoumaKernel2.5_CWM.zip
SixaxisPairToolSetup-0.2.3.exe

of course i already installed the first two and they are of the biggest size in the main section of my sd card. but the sixaxis one i still have to use. i just wanna know if i can delete it after i am done installing it.

You can. They are just the installers... However, i keep at least one, in case i break something, and my backup(s) get corrupted (it can happen, has not to me yet, but better safe than sorry) but i am away from home for long periods of time with no computer to take with me (poor right now) so you may not need to do so. I'm just cautious.
(in your case, i would keep the ctmod one)

Reactions: BloodBlade
Upvote 0
hey lordvincent

my bad for not getting back to you sooner on this. i was tired when i initially got this memo and didn't do what you instructed that day. i tried opening this zip in both winrar and 7zip as an archive and went into the system folder but there was no files in there. was these files intended for Linux or something is that why they don't appear? i am running win7 x64. please let me know pal.

Lol! No, you PUT the apps you want to install INTO that zip... Then install via cwm... Lol... It a blank... I would have put the apps in there but have no wifi to download the removed apps.zip and it is on pc at home (500 miles away)

Upvote 0
If you went through the guide, made the second SD-ext partition, and switched koumamod to data, then koumakernel tricks the phone into thinking your SD-ext is internal memory. All you have to do is install stuff, no other apps or file managers are necessary. To check, just go to settings/applications/storage use, and check the little bar at the bottom. if it shows ~200mb total then its not right. if it shows a lot more, around what you made the SD-ext partition, then you're good. For example my internal memory shows 150mb used, 1.7 gb free :)

i just noticed something regarding this. in that settings section i have under all in internal storage i have 54mb used and 0.89 gb free. in the on sd card section i hve 541mb used and 390mb free. i did everything you said except making the second sd-ext partition i think. that may be it. but im not positive. can you help me caeadas or anyone else? i hope im not being a pain with all these questions in this thread :thinking: heh.

EDIT: forgot to mention that while partitioning the sd card originally i made it to have a size SD-ext partition of a value higher than your 512mb suggestion. i don't remember the exact value but it was the next higher value cause i download a lot.

Upvote 0
The partition is 'internal memory' the rest is sd storage

I assume you have the stock 2 gb card, and you selected 1024 for the partition. So you have ~1gb for storage and ~1gb for apps and data. Looks right to me (541 + 390 mb = ~1gb)

When the manufacturers make the card they do so using "1000mb = 1gb" when a gb is really 1024mb... So that is where the 'missing' space is...

Upvote 0
The partition is 'internal memory' the rest is sd storage

I assume you have the stock 2 gb card, and you selected 1024 for the partition. So you have ~1gb for storage and ~1gb for apps and data. Looks right to me (541 + 390 mb = ~1gb)

When the manufacturers make the card the do so using "1000mb = 1gb" when a gb is really 1024mb... So that is where the 'missing' space is...

gotcha. yeah i have the stock 2gb card. thanks once again for helping me out LordVincent. it's greatly appreciated man. if i could i'd buy you a beer :D

Upvote 0
so say your phone is running great on a particular rom, but you want to try other roms for fun. The easiest way to backup would be to??? :

1. CWM Backup
2. plug phone in computer, copy and paste everything to a folder on computer.
3. delete all files on sd card.
4. load up new rom and play.

and when you want to return to your original.

5. boot into CWM
6. mounts and storage/mount usb storage --- delete everything,,, then copy and paste original files to sd card --- unmount
7. run backup

would that work?

Upvote 0
so say your phone is running great on a particular rom, but you want to try other roms for fun. The easiest way to backup would be to??? :

1. CWM Backup
2. plug phone in computer, copy and paste everything to a folder on computer.
3. delete all files on sd card.
4. load up new rom and play.

and when you want to return to your original.

5. boot into CWM
6. mounts and storage/mount usb storage --- delete everything,,, then copy and paste original files to sd card --- unmount
7. run backup

would that work?
yes, but a cwm restore would restore all data and apps the way it was for going back to a previous rom. when changing roms use sd-ext to restore apps or just put the apks on sd or cp and then load/restore apks to new rom and then if need 1or 2 data use titanium to get data back:D

Reactions: tivofool
Upvote 0
yes, but a cwm restore would restore all data and apps the way it was for going back to a previous rom. when changing roms use sd-ext to restore apps or just put the apks on sd or cp and then load/restore apks to new rom and then if need 1or 2 data use titanium to get data back:D

A lot of times for me anyways, CWM restore doesn't completely overwrite the existing rom and kernel.
Get all kinds of funkiness and force closes.
I prefer to use Odin, flash a nice clean EJ06 slate, and proceed from there.
Finally settled on CM7 for a while, was rockin the MIUI but it has a few things that are super hard to deal with

Upvote 0
hey guys.

i am having another problem with my android. it started today. i was charging my phone when my phone started displaying this message over and over again "The application Google services Framework(process com.google.process.gapps) has stopped unexpectedly." well i googled it and went to this thread:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-sup...06-google-services-framework-force-close.html

followed a link on that thread and got rid of that message from appearing constantly. but the other problem i had with it was that it wasn't connecting to my 3g network anymore. i mean it would for a brief moment and then have zero bars filled and then it would disconnect again. it has a big red x now. i hve 3g data turned on. i noticed tho in the sync settings that it said at bottom: "sync is currently experiencing problems. it wil be back shortly" is that related to my 3g network problem? can anyone please help? many thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
hey guys.

i am having another problem with my android. it started today. i was charging my phone when my phone started displaying this message over and over again "The application Google services Framework(process com.google.process.gapps) has stopped unexpectedly." well i googled it and went to this thread:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-sup...06-google-services-framework-force-close.html

followed a link on that thread and got rid of that message from appearing constantly. but the other problem i had with it was that it wasn't connecting to my 3g network anymore. i mean it would for a brief moment and then have zero bars filled and then it would disconnect again. it has a big red x now. i hve 3g data turned on. i noticed tho in the sync settings that it said at bottom: "sync is currently experiencing problems. it wil be back shortly" is that related to my 3g network problem? can anyone please help? many thanks in advance.

I had that start happening before I flashed over to CTmod 3.6
upon reviewing my logcat before flashing, I found that my particular cause was due to a corrupted entry in my contacts sqllite database. Of course, for me, I was lucky, it was time to update about the time it started happening so I didn't need to locate the database and remove/fix it manually.

What seems to be the most common cause of a force close is a null pointer exception that doesn't get handled. usually caused by some piece of data that comes back empty when it shouldn't.

try this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=792691

Upvote 0
hi

that was the link i got from the thread i linked to. i tried the steps and it got rid of the message tht pops up but i still cannot get a stable 3g connection for my network. however when i followed the steps on that page you posted i noticed my contacts were still there. i think i messed up in the step 0 - "Make sure Sync is off, leave it off for some time!" first off i go in accounts and sync and turn off auto sync right to do that? and how long do i leave it off? also should i flash over to ctmod 3.6 too? if so can you explain how to do that or a link? please let me know pal. thanks.

Upvote 0
ok i read over again the posts in this thread regarding Titanium backup and restoring apps and data after flashing a new rom like CTMOD. however im not fully clear on how to restore data and apps after flashing to the latest ctmod 3.6 let's say. i keep reading differing opinions on what to use regarding the CWM sd-ext from a backup or titanium backup for restoring stuff after flashing. here's what id like to do:

1. backup my data (like bookmarks in browser), my apps, contacts and other important data on my sdcard
2. flash to ctmod 3.6 (i know how to install this but i just want to know any info i should know b4 i do what i wanna do in number 1.)
3. install ctnak'd 1.0 by Guspeed. (i know how to do this too but i just wanna know if i need to know anything b4 doing it too like backing up again if need be)

if anyone can put it in layman's terms on accomplishing this please let me know.

thanks. :eek:

Upvote 0
ok i read over again the posts in this thread regarding Titanium backup and restoring apps and data after flashing a new rom like CTMOD. however im not fully clear on how to restore data and apps after flashing to the latest ctmod 3.6 let's say. i keep reading differing opinions on what to use regarding the CWM sd-ext from a backup or titanium backup for restoring stuff after flashing. here's what id like to do:

1. backup my data (like bookmarks in browser), my apps, contacts and other important data on my sdcard
2. flash to ctmod 3.6 (i know how to install this but i just want to know any info i should know b4 i do what i wanna do in number 1.)
3. install ctnak'd 1.0 by Guspeed. (i know how to do this too but i just wanna know if i need to know anything b4 doing it too like backing up again if need be)

if anyone can put it in layman's terms on accomplishing this please let me know.

thanks. :eek:
you would flask 3.6 then wipe delvik then reboot first then go back and flash guspeed's and then go into restore(in cwm) then go to advanced and then a backup and flash the sd-ext then reboot.(you can use any one that you have depending on what apps they had ,that you want) then anything backed up on sd card can be restored.

Upvote 0
Dalvik is stored on /data, it's wiped with the install.

To keep bookmarks, titanium backup will do this.
Just restore only app data, not the app.

You contacts are synced to your Google account, and will restore when your sign into Google

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore
This will backup SMS (NOT MMS, SAVE ANY PICTURES YOU NEED FROM TEXTS)

As far as everything else, i just reinstall from the market (no problems that way) or if there is an app that i (LEGITIMATELY) got from an outside source (mostly ones from here :D or apps that the market 'thinks' are incompatible) i use
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rootuninstaller.free
(don't let the name fool you, it will back up single apps to your sd card. Other powerful features too, some only available with paid version)

And the only thing i would do before installing ct is make a backup (with cwm)
AND ( if you have not already done so.) Copy the contents of your sdcard to your computer, and partition your card as desired for kouma kernel

And after the theme is installed, in cwm> advanced- select wipe dalvik cache

and reboot

First boot takes FOREVER

Upvote 0
hey thanks guys for the replies. i have to admit with these two replies im a little overwhelmed about how to go about doing all what you guys suggest doing. is this the correct order of how i go about doing all that is suggested. i wanna do it right the first time and be sure....

1. Download titanium backup
3, Download SMS Backup and Restore
3. Backup with cwm
3. copy contents of sdcard to computer. (i haven't done this in a while so i will do it again)
4. partition your card as desired for kouma kernel. (What does you mean exactly by this step when you say as desired. do you mean a certain setting involved? if so what?)
2. Flash ctmod 3.6 (Delvik is wiped on install with this right LordVincent?)
2. Reboot
3. Flash guspeed's
4. Go into restore (in cwm) then go to advanced and then backup and flash sd-ext then reboot.
5. Reinstall apps i had so there are no problems. Just so you know, i personally haven't bought any apps from the store yet.
6. go in cwm-advanced and select wipe dalvik cache since guspeed is installed now.
7. reboot, first boot will take a while.

and when do i use titanium and sms backup?

also i was wondering about something that has been annoying me with my android lately. i have been using advanced task killer free. even before i rooted my phone. it worked in the past great but it's been giving me problems lately. i noticed the number of active apps would be a lot when i would open the program and the available memory would be pretty low. this happenend mostly when i am using dolphin hd browser. dolphin would freeze a lot and it would ultimately get to the point where i would have to shut down the phone cause there was so much lag. Is this app even worth having for this mod im gonna get ctmod 3.6 and kk 2.5?i tried different settings but it is just so annoying now to use. advanced task killer i mean.

Upvote 0
hey thanks guys for the replies. i have to admit with these two replies im a little overwhelmed about how to go about doing all what you guys suggest doing. is this the correct order of how i go about doing all that is suggested. i wanna do it right the first time and be sure....

1. Download titanium backup

#optional step, i don't use it myself, i just know it can back up app data. Somebody who knows more about it can tell you.

3, Download SMS Backup and Restore

#very useful for keeping sms. Run this before you wipe/flash anything. Then after you install the new rom, run the restore feature of the app once you get it back (through play store)

3. Backup with cwm

#in case you mess something up along the way, this creates a file with everything currently on your phone that can be restored at any time

3. copy contents of sdcard to computer. (i haven't done this in a while so i will do it again)

#partitioning the card will format it and delete everything on it. So backup anything you want to keep

4. partition your card as desired for kouma kernel. (What does you mean exactly by this step when you say as desired. do you mean a certain setting involved? if so what?)

# this is the number of partitions you make. Either in cwm by advanced> partition sdcard, or by using adb (Android debug bridge)
The kernel that comes with ctmod has different 'modes' with regard to app storage.
More on this in the OP HERE

2. Flash ctmod 3.6 (Delvik is wiped on install with this right LordVincent?)

# yes dalvik is part of the data partition. So if you wipe data, it is wiped too (unless you have it set up on a different partition, this is where reading about kouma kernel's modes comes in...(for future reference))

2. Reboot
3. Flash guspeed's
4.no need to restore sdext, since you don't have one yet to restore.
^
| changed :D

5. Reinstall apps i had so there are no problems. Just so you know, i personally haven't bought any apps from the store yet.

#the problem isn't with purchased apps, it's data from the old ROM gets put onto the new one and things start force closing or running slow, etc... Just safer to redownload/reinstall them than to hope they will work

6. go in cwm-advanced and select wipe dalvik cache since guspeed is installed now.
7. reboot, first boot will take a while.

and when do i use titanium and sms backup?
#covered above

also i was wondering about something that has been annoying me with my android lately. i have been using advanced task killer free. even before i rooted my phone. it worked in the past great but it's been giving me problems lately. i noticed the number of active apps would be a lot when i would open the program and the available memory would be pretty low. this happenend mostly when i am using dolphin hd browser. dolphin would freeze a lot and it would ultimately get to the point where i would have to shut down the phone cause there was so much lag. Is this app even worth having for this mod im gonna get ctmod 3.6 and kk 2.5?i tried different settings but it is just so annoying now to use. advanced task killer i mean.

#Android has it's own memory killer built in. And blood tweaked it for performance. Once the install is complete, you should notice a great deal of improvement with available memory, and will probably find a task killer is unnecessary

Upvote 0
#Android has it's own memory killer built in. And blood tweaked it for performance. Once the install is complete, you should notice a great deal of improvement with available memory, and will probably find a task killer is unnecessary

thanks lord. i did it all just now. the new ctmod and guspeed looks great. however i think i did something wrong with the partition part. when i chose the partition i did 512 (i download a lot of stuff) and then picked zero in the next menu. i remember doing those two settings before for the first time i partitioned my sd card which was when i originally started this thread. anyway when i go to storage in settings it says 1.39gb total space and available space. i have a 2gb sd card. and the available space is 117mb in internal storage. i screwed up something didn't i? keep in mind i haven't installed any apps yet beside ctmod 3.6 and guspeed. can you try to help me? :thinking:

EDIT: ok i think i figured it out but im not positive. i checked out the guide i initially used b4 posting here. and did the following step from Caeadas' guide for rooting the prevail

Step four: The white checkerboard icon in the middle is the app drawer. Go there and open settings, then CTmod settings, then Koumakernel settings, making sure to click "allow" when the superuser prompt pops up. You will have three options: None, Data, and SSM. For our basic setup, we will be clicking Data. This is what turns our SD-ext partition we made earlier into internal storage.

i did that. actually had to go back and click on data and save it again after rebooting for it to save it as Data. but the internal storage now says 434mb and the total space and available space is both 1.39gb. is this supposed to be this way? please let me know. thanks bro.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones