1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Restoring?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by eglons, Aug 3, 2011.

1. eglons

eglons Lurker
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    I've just taken delivery of a replacement phone. All of my apps were on my SD card which I kept.

I've put the sim and card in the phone and turned on, but there is nothing on the phone. Do I have to reinstall all of the apps... and if so will they see the data for themselves on the SD card.. or is there a quick way to do this as it seems very 70s!

Advertisement

2. CdTDroiD

CdTDroiD Android Enthusiast
    None

They will not just install off your sd card, assuming you have the .apk files on your sd card you need to install them manually or I think there is an app that can do auto install.

Otherwise you can just install from market again, but titanium backup would have been a better option

3. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    But you need to be rooted to use Ti Backup.

4. eglons

eglons Lurker
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    So, in short, I need to reinstall and lose all of the setup/application data I had (all SMS's etc!)... damn

5. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Application data that are actually stored on SD will be fine - you just need to install the apps on the new phone (in some cases you might need to ask the app to restore or re-find the data). But even if you've moved apps to SD, most of their data were in the phone's internal storage.

SMS are the same - they aren't on SD unless you've used a backup app to copy them there. If you have, then it's easy again: install that app on the new handset and restore. If not, there were ways of backing them up to card or cloud, but you needed to do that while you still had the old handset.

Tags: