1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Resume applications

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tudorion, May 21, 2012.

1. tudorion

tudorion Lurker

How can I have my Nexus app resume where it last was, i.e. the Activity in view, etc.? If I am showing an Activity and press the Home button and then launch my app again it returns to the startup activity. I'd like it to work like an iPhone app where it suspends in place and resumes back to where the user last was.
    Thank you.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. macprv

macprv Android Enthusiast

Actually android multitasks just that way... if I am composing and message on facebook or twitter, and then press home check on another app or the browser and them go back the the facebook app .. i get back to the message i was writing...

now have in mind that android does the dirty work for us.. whenever there is demand for "ram" memory.. the system closes apps to free up some ram, in that case the some apps would have to restart.. i rarely see that

3. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert

It also depends on the app and how it is written. I've definitely seen some apps that do not go into standby and instead restart instead of resuming. Typically this means they are poorly written or written by someone who doesn't know what they are doing when it comes to Android.

Otherwise, Android OS should leave them in a standby state until you return....unless there is such high demand for RAM that the OS needs to close them to free up RAM. Shouldn't happen often in typical usage though.

jkc120 likes this.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews