1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Retrieve data from broken Galaxy S6

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Slingznyc, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Slingznyc

Slingznyc Lurker
    None

Sep 19, 2016
    I have a Galaxy S6 from Verizon.
    The screen cracked and is totally shot.

When I plug my device into my PC, I'm not able to access the files.
    It appears as SAMSUNG-S-G920V as a "Portable device" but when I click on it there are no files to view.
    Typically, I would resolve this by changing the USB options on the device to File Explorer/Transfer, but since the screen is busted I cannot do that.
    I've tried a few applications but they don't seem to work because that is off.
    I am NOT SURE IF I HAVE DEBUGGING ON.

I downloaded Kies 3, and it recongizes the device, however it says the device is locked. Im not able to unlock it since the screen doesn't work.

This is why I hate the new phones, I would never had this issue with my older phones. Can anyone help? I at least need to get the pictures off of here.
    I thought Verizon was backing up my photots, but it looks like it hasnt backed up since January.

Worth noting I have a Galaxy S2 watch connected to this device, so i am still receiving texts that way. Is there any way to use the watch to unlock this or otherwise control?

Can anyone help? Is there any trick to accessing the files as a disk, or somehow getting the device to USB File mode, or otherwise controlling the device from another screen or PC?

Advertisement

#1 Slingznyc, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    With an MHL adapter (probably 11 pin for a Samsung) you can mirror the display onto a TV via HDMI. If the touch layer still works that may be enough to let you unlock it, enable USB debugging, change USB mode, or run Airdroid or WiFi file explorer to let you copy data.

If not, it's still possible to control it with a USB keyboard or mouse and a USB OTG cable. The problem is that you can't see what you are doing at the same time (which is frustrating). But if you can pair a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard you are sorted - I did this a few weeks ago.