1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Retrieve Info off of Note 4

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dave3d, May 19, 2018.

1. Dave3d

Dave3d Newbie
    None

Jul 20, 2017
    And guess what?
    2 days after I posted this, my Note 4 phone screen amoled broke.

I was wondering if there is ANY way I can get my info off of my phone without using the screen?
    I installed the Samsung software to my computer, but when I tried to connect the phone, it said that some usb setting was not on, and it cant connect.
    I dont ever remember backing anything up to google drive, or anything else backup wise.

I have months of notes from my disability, phone numbers that I can NOT loose, and some other data like pictures and stuff.

So, the phone is not rooted, I can NOT see the screen to use it at all.

Can ANYONE help me to get my data back?
    I still have the sim card, and the microsd card (which I just put in my new phone, so I hope some of that is stored on there), but other than the sd card, I need the data thats still on the phone.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
  3. Dave3d

Dave3d Newbie
    None

Jul 20, 2017
    Thanks.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

4. Dave3d

Dave3d Newbie
    None

Jul 20, 2017
    OK, well, I tried the usb to computer, it failed.
    I tried phone to phone, and after a million-to-one I actually got my phone to say YES using the s-pen touching the screen at LEAST 300 times, and IT ALSO said that the phone cant be transferred without mr going into the settings and setting the usb setting to allow.

So, all that said, I am now just going to NOT try to get my info back, but I am wondering if I can do a total reset of the phone without having to use the screen to see what to press and what not to press?
    I am talking about a blind reset.
    I just want my info off of the phone so I can sell it for parts on ebay, or to a local shop for parts.

Thanks for the 'New' Help.

If it helps, the phone made it to android 6.x (maybe 6.0.xxx, maybe 6.1, maybe 6.2, but certainly no further than 6.2).
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Thanks again.

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    You should NOT try resetting, because your data would definitely be erased permanently.
    Internal storage is securely encrypted, and a factory reset would delete the encryption key.

I would see about getting a replacement screen is your best bet I think, for any chance of getting the phone operational, so you can try to retrieve your data.

6. Dave3d

Dave3d Newbie
    None

Jul 20, 2017
    No.
    A replacement screen is $230 (yes, you read that right, 230.00 AMOLED screens are EXPENSIVE, and only come with both the screen and the glass already all glued together, yet again messing over anyone trying to save money) (and, trying to find a used screen is impossible since they are the worst to come off that they ALWAYS break them, so even if I got a mangled used Note 4 with a great screen noone would take it off that and put it on mine), and a new S8 (I know its 1 gen old, but its brand new) from my Tmobile will cost 0 down, 0 pay, Tax only + $25 a month, so I am going to go that route.
    I dont care about my data anymore, after calling 50 stores, all have 0 screens, they have to call to get them shipped, and NONE have used screens at all so I could just pay them to temp a new screen on just to get my data back.

SO, again, I want to do a factory reset or a wipe or whatever I will be able to do to get my info OFF of the phone.
    Again WITHOUT being able to see anything or press any buttons except the power, sound up/down, and the Home key.

On a totally unrelated note (except for my 1 million in 1 chance to get the phone to swipe open), my alarm clock went off at the correct times no problem, so I know for a fact that everything else works fine.
    Too bad its just too dang expensive. Thats why you dont see used Note 4's for sale except pens and such.

Oh, and does anyone know of ANY software where I would be able to use my Note 8 pen on an S8 phone? I want to be able to use it, since I got the note series almost exclusively because it had a pen (and 3gb memory at the time). Thanks.

7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Thing is if you do factory reset, you will NOT be able to retrieve anything from internal storage, well not unless you got a supercomputer and 100,000 years. AES256 standard encryption is very secure. And if the phone is effectively inoperable because the screen is smashed, I don't see how you can do much else, that's it. The hardware buttons only operate power and volume.

Do you consider your data to be worth $230 to get it back?

8. Dave3d

Dave3d Newbie
    None

Jul 20, 2017
    Nope.
    Nothing I cant live without I guess.
    Thats why I want to know how to do a factory reset without being able to see the screen.
    But, it seems all you want to do is try to talk me into keeping a broken phone I cant pay to have it fixed, and to leave all my data on it, so I cant sell it for a little bit of eating money, which I have very little of.
    You might want to note that I have not worked, nor recieved money, in 3 years. So, yes, I am BROKE as broke can be. I have no parents to take care of me. My wife makes enough to put a roof over our heads and a little food in our mouths, but I dont see ANY of that money. NONE. 3 years, 0 money.
    So, yes, selling the Otter case for $15, and selling the broken phone for anything I can get for it (because the rest is in perfect condition, because I take care of my stuff), will help me greatly. That may be 1 weeks worth of food right there for a broken phone and a case.

So, please, anybody that knows how to do a factory reset without being able to see the screen, please post here.

Thanks.

9. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    It may be possible to mirror the display to another device (the fact that your panel is broken won't stop that). I believe that the Note 4 supports MHL, so with an adapter you could mirror to a TV for example (note: there are 2 types of MHL adapters, Samsung-compatible and everybody else - typical Samsung - so check compatibility before buying anything). It sounds like you have some input capability (S-pen at least, in which case possibly touch as well) so you may have options: enable USB-debugging, pair with a bluetooth mouse or keyboard if you want, install a WiFi file transfer app, or of course locate the reset menu.

Dave3d and Jeep00XJ like this.
  10. Jeep00XJ

Jeep00XJ Lurker
    None

May 26, 2018
    Male
    If you can do this, do it .... also if you are still using a samsung phone use smart switch it is the best app for moving you data over wifi text messages pictures the whole 9 yards

11. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    do you have "MyPhoneExplorer" installed?

if not, can you try to install it from the web to the phone? can you see enough screen to get that done?
    that will let you operate the phone from a PC

12. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

You can buy a used Note 4 with a working screen, and get the screen from that to replace the one on your phone. There are old stock Note 4's on ebay selling for like $140. A broken Note 4 with an MMC error will go for even less. You just need the screen anyway, not the eMMC. Heck if you buy the new old stock one, after retrieving your data, you can swap the screen back to the new phone and effectively have a new Note 4.

13. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I just bought a Note 4 last night from Swappa for $89 and free shipping.
    giving it to my sister, she still uses a flip phone :rolleyes:

14. Dave3d

Dave3d Newbie
    None

Jul 20, 2017
    Oh, I DO have one of those MHL cables!!!!!!
    I wonder if that will work.
    Usually I have to start the mirroring process on the mirroring app to get that to work, but its worth a shot.
    I did get an S8 (which I absolutely HATE compared to the Note series), and it came with that little adapter for phone to phone, so if I can get it mirrored to the tv using MHL, I can turn on that usb debug setting, and then just do phone to phone to get my stuff back.
    Interesting, and thatnks.
    I am hoping to have some money soon, and I am keeping my Note 4 for now, broken or not. I need a new Tablet anyway (my Tab Pro 10.1 battery or cpu is getting so hot it burns my thigh through 2 blankets, and it makes my games lag VERY bad until it cools a little then just gets hot right away again when it does cool down only to repeat the cycle. Does anyone know why that happens? Probably need to make my own thread about this issue also, lol), and I figure my note 4 will be cheaper to fix than buying a new tablet. Then, when my S8 breaks (which is not an 'IF', but a 'WHEN', then I can still use my Note 4 as my phone also.
    :)

Thank you ALL for helping.
    Man, that MHL cable is so sensitive, that even if I barely touch it, it turns right off. I wonder if anyone with a Note 4 with updates to now, can give me exact steps to get to the usb debug setting? I already have it in developer mode, I just never activated that setting, and I cant remember where that setting is anyway, in About? In Security? Somewhere around there I think.
    Also, any other setting needed to get my info from like apps (I use Simple Notepad, and had them on the 64gb external card, but when I tried to restore them they just got corrupted and Simple Notepad had to delete them). I had 2 months worth of what kind of pain I was in, how it hurt, what I was able to do and what I could not do, what I could remember, what I could NOT remember, that kind of stuff (remember, I am disabled, my Dr. told me to start writing this stuff down).
    Thanks again!

EDIT:
    Also, no I dont have "MyPhoneExplorer" installed, or any other backup app. :(
    And, no local store will put on a used screen for me, they will only do a brand new screen bought directly from Samsung. And, buying a used phone with a good screen and trying to take the screen off often results in the screen breaking (this is mostly why they wont do it, because then they would not get paid at all).

#14 Dave3d, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  15. Dave3d

Dave3d Newbie
    None

Jul 20, 2017
    Umm, sorry Bill, but my screen broke ALL the way through. Cant see anything but black. Like I said above.

And, thank you especially to @Hadron and @Jeep00XJ .
    I was able to get all my info (that I know of) off of my Note 4, using the HML cable and Smart Switch wireless mode (it ruined my S8, because it restored my settings for everything, and took off my background image, and a few other things, but I can reset those individually).

Now, I will have to ask some things about the S8 in another thread, because I absolutely HATE not having the bottom buttons anymore (Back, Home, Apps), and want to know how to make that always stay on, all the time instead of hiding then I have to swipe up (which ALWAYS launches an app, or launches something inside the app or game I am already in, which is the opposit of the note 4 where you just click the back button and the app exits, or asks if you want to exit).

Thanks for helping me get my data back.

P.S.
    Does anyone want to buy a GREAT used Note 4, but has a broken screen? :D
    Anyone know anyone that buys broken phones?
    I can make a video of everything still working through the MHL cable, the sound is still awesome, games still run great, the battery is still the original and charges to full and is still like new. zzzzzzzzcamera is awesome. Everything works bit the screen. It has an Otterbox (Commuter I think?) case, and an extra screensaver, and original box and docs and everything but the charger and cable and earplugs.
    And, the phone is one of the original Note 4's, not these ones they are selling right now for $200 that are cheapies.
    I am hoping to get 'something; out of it.
    And no, I dont have an ebay account anymore, ever since I got a messed up product that the seller mailed to me messed up and said it was good when it was broken, then said he would give me my money back, then tried to say to make the carrier pay for it and that way we would both get our money. I spent a couple months waiting for my money in ebay arbitration until I finally got my money back. :(

Samsung Galaxy Note 4

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launched in 2014 as the company's flagship phablet. It has a 5.7-inch screen with 2560 x 1440 resolution, 3GB of RAM, and an impressive 16 megapixel camera.