1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Retrieve saved VPN password

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Romee258, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Romee258

Romee258 Lurker
    None

Aug 1, 2016
    Female
    Hello everyone.

Our school has this VPN server where teacher can save important files to share them with us (the students).
    The administration department of our school gave us a password and connected our mobile devices (in my case my Samsung Galaxy s4) at the beginning of last year with this server so we could acces those files and they used the "save the username and password" feature so that we always would connect immidiately. Due to this, I never really filled in my password again.

But unfortunately my phone broke (internally) and I had to get a new one, so I bought a Samsung Galaxy s7. But when I try to connect with that VPN server with the password which I thought was the right one (it has the same amount of letters as the right password, as can be seen by looking at the saved credentials), but it says it can't connect (I think its due to a wrong password, as all the rest is the same as it was).

(as VPN client, I'm using DS file)

Is there a way to retrieve the password or is there a way to clear the data of the phone (such as photo's, apps, app files, message files, google accounts, etc.), but to keep the VPN data and settings?

If anything is still unclear, I would like to hear it, so I can try to make it more clear.

Many thanks.

Advertisement

2. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    Hi @Romee258 and welcome to Android Forums :)

Unfortunately, most properly-built applications will store user credentials in an encrypted format, which means it won't be possible to retrieve them.

Does the Galaxy S4 still boot? If so, you could try using Helium Backup to back up the data for the VPN client and restore it on your new device.

If that doesn't work, though, you'll probably need to talk to your school's administrators to get set back up.

svim, Unforgiven and Mikestony like this.
  3. LauraSmithMS

LauraSmithMS Newbie
    None

Aug 6, 2016
    Female
    United States of America
    retrieval of any submitted information is not possible of secured network like VPN or may be the VPN is not recognising your new device you can ask you school network support staff may be they can help

psionandy and Thom like this.
  4. KateTaylor

KateTaylor Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2016
    Female
    contacting the concerned person in your school regarding this issue would be a better idea