• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Retrieving data from broken display phone. Black Screen

Hello

This is a common subject and I have already seen several solutions but none that adapt to me. My phone screen is totally dead, so I cannot see my way around. When I connect to a PC the device is shown but not the content even when unlocked. So, as far as I remember it is due to when connecting to a PC it asks for permission to transfer files.

My question is if I use an OTG splitter with a USB output and a regular micro USB female (same as the phone has). Could I connect a mouse and then through the Hub connect to the PC and then try to guess-click the confirm so that the PC is allowed to read the content??

How did you unlock the screen? Does the touch layer still work? I tend to assume that fingerprint won't because you need to enter a PIN after a restart (at least on any device I've used).

The reason I ask is that "guess clicking" through a mouse will be really tricky (I've done it, but under much better conditions than purely blind guessing - see below). But if you can mirror the display you could avoid guessing, e.g. by enabling developer options and then setting the default USB connection type to be file transfer. And that will be easiest if the touch layer is still working, though it's possible (with sufficient patience) via USB as well.

When I did it I used an MHL adapter to mirror the phone's screen to a TV. The problem was that the MHL adapter uses the same USB socket as the mouse or keyboard (cursor and enter keys can be easier for some of this stuff than a mouse, though there are some things where a mouse is needed), so I had to look at the screen, judge my next move, swap to keyboard or mouse, try, swap back and see what happened. This is why I said that using a mouse blind is difficult but that I was in a better place than purely blind: I knew what was on the screen and where, even if I couldn't see my pointer. I never tried this via a splitter (didn't have one of those), so don't know whether it would work. I also don't know whether the J7 Prime supports MHL: Samsung dropped it before they switched to USB-C, so they made some phones that had no way of doing wired mirroring. If it does support it you need the correct type of MHL adapter, because Samsung need a different one from everyone else.

TBH I think it more likely that data transfer and mouse will work via a splitter than video output and mouse, but I've never tried it so can't say either way. I'd be tempted to invest a few £/$/€ and find out if it were me.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
How did you unlock the screen? Does the touch layer still work? I tend to assume that fingerprint won't because you need to enter a PIN after a restart (at least on any device I've used).

The reason I ask is that "guess clicking" through a mouse will be really tricky (I've done it, but under much better conditions than purely blind guessing - see below). But if you can mirror the display you could avoid guessing, e.g. by enabling developer options and then setting the default USB connection type to be file transfer. And that will be easiest if the touch layer is still working, though it's possible (with sufficient patience) via USB as well.

When I did it I used an MHL adapter to mirror the phone's screen to a TV. The problem was that the MHL adapter uses the same USB socket as the mouse or keyboard (cursor and enter keys can be easier for some of this stuff than a mouse, though there are some things where a mouse is needed), so I had to look at the screen, judge my next move, swap to keyboard or mouse, try, swap back and see what happened. This is why I said that using a mouse blind is difficult but that I was in a better place than purely blind: I knew what was on the screen and where, even if I couldn't see my pointer. I never tried this via a splitter (didn't have one of those), so don't know whether it would work. I also don't know whether the J7 Prime supports MHL: Samsung dropped it before they switched to USB-C, so they made some phones that had no way of doing wired mirroring. If it does support it you need the correct type of MHL adapter, because Samsung need a different one from everyone else.

TBH I think it more likely that data transfer and mouse will work via a splitter than video output and mouse, but I've never tried it so can't say either way. I'd be tempted to invest a few £/$/€ and find out if it were me.

Hi, thanks for the interest. Sadly the J7 Prime is not MHL compatible. I unlocked it via OTG-Keyboard and after that fingerprint works fine. But no tactile response whatsoever. So, I was wondering if an splitter such as the one attached would actually work. Seems pretty straightforward to me but my doubt is because Ive read that you cannot OTG and charge at the same time, but you can OTG and connect to PC at the same time?? Anyways, sure it will be easier to guess-click the confirm option than to navigate blind to USB-Debugging

Attachments

• 717ynCaNOBL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    717ynCaNOBL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 174
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones