• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

retrieving deleted photos and videos

disneymom

Lurker
Mar 20, 2020
I don't have a lot of money and I just accidentally deleted all of my photos and videos off of my galaxy s9 plus. Is there anyway I can retrieve them? I tried to recover in the gallery, but mine doesn't show a recycle bin.

Thank you to anyone that can help
At a loss

There is no "recycle bin" I'm afraid. When you delete files they are gone.

Unfortunately it's unlikely you can recover them (not so unlikely that some previously unseen member will suggest downloading something to do it, but very unlikely that will work). If you were using Google Photos you probably have a backup in Google's servers. I'm not sure whether Samsung still do that themselves - I think they used to but might have stopped, but I don't have a Samsung myself so can't be sure. But looking for a backup (and making sure you keep one in future) is probably your best bet.

Upvote 0
As @Hadron commented on, restoring those deleted photos and videos isn't likely. So try not to get your hopes up there is some 'magic' fix, it's complicated and pricey to restore deleted data off of the digital storage media inside your S9 Plus.

Moving forward, it's really important you set up a backup solution so this doesn't happen again. Some people have become hyper-sensitive to relying upon online storage services so if you have a similar mindset, I'd recommend setting up SyncThing. It's an entirely free, Open Source project that allows you to sync your files locally (all within just your own home network) or to your own encrypted online storage server. It's more involved to setup and implement, but a reliable way to keep your data automatically backed up and away from prying eyes.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nutomic.syncthingandroid&hl=en_US
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncthing
https://syncthing.net/

If however you're willing to let the big corporations do their data-mining on you (a price you pay for free, automatic ease-of-use), give some serious thought into just switching away from the Gallery app and use the Google Photos app as your primary photo manager:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.photos&hl=en_US
A helpful feature in Google Photos is an automatic backup and sync feature. It runs in the background and backs up all your photos (and videos if enable it in the app's settings menu) into your online Google account. Once implemented, you then have access to all your photos on either your phone or using any browser by going to https://photos.google.com and logging into your account. There's also a feature, accessible in both the app and web interface, where deleted photos are restorable up to 60 days (unless you manually clear the Trash) so if you do inadvertently dump a bunch of photos again you have a lot of time to correct your mistake. If you have a real liking to the user interface in the Gallery app over the Google Photos app, you could just continue using Gallery as your default photo manager with Google Photos running in the background doing its backup & sync.
Also, install and setup Samsung's Smart Switch utility on a computer.
https://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/
Smart Switch is a handy tool to keep on hand when you have a Samsung device. It allows you do full backups that make doing a restore of your account a lot less of a hassle in the event something really bad happens.

Upvote 0
There is no "recycle bin" I'm afraid. When you delete files they are gone.
Just FYI, that really depends on the app you're using.

The OP said that they "tried to recover in the gallery, but mine doesn't show a recycle bin." I don't know what app "the gallery" refers to, but in -my- gallery app, F-Stop Pro, there is a recycle bin.

Now, you know me! :D So it should go without saying that I, as a Linux person, do not use such silly protections as my app offers, but here's what its settings look like:

Screenshot_20200321-180114.png

Screenshot_20200321-175907.png

You'll note that I neither confirm delete nor do I use its recycle bin--when I press the 'delete' button on an image [or any other file], I know that it will be gone forever--but the options are there.

So it's not unrealistic for the OP's gallery app to have a recycle bin...unfortunately for the OP, though, theirs apparently didn't. :(

Reactions: Hadron and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
This does bring up what might be a pertinent issue, @disneymom are you referring to the actual 'Gallery' app, the default photo manager app that's the default on a lot of Android devices, or are you using 'gallery' as a generic, catch-all phrase for any photo manager app?
The actual name of the app you're using can make a big difference as different apps can have a wide range of different capabilities.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
extremely safe.
Well, it's as safe as you make the account. Use a strong password (length is the most important factor), enable two-factor authentication, ensure that no non-recognised devices have access to the account and it's pretty safe. Post your email address around the web, use "123456" as your password (commonest password of 2019, based on data derived from security breaches) and don't enable two-factor authentication and you may as well stick a sign on your front door saying "the key is on top of the door frame".

Reactions: Milo Willamson
Upvote 0
Well, it's as safe as you make the account. Use a strong password (length is the most important factor), enable two-factor authentication, ensure that no non-recognised devices have access to the account and it's pretty safe. Post your email address around the web, use "123456" as your password (commonest password of 2019, based on data derived from security breaches) and don't enable two-factor authentication and you may as well stick a sign on your front door saying "the key is on top of the door frame".
So annoying though of the two step, how about just the fingerprint scan :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones