• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Retrieving your MSL (ENABLE WIN 7 HIDDEN ADMIN)

holyshit! i got it :D

I took a hint from blind123's instructions. Since I'm using xp, I ignored all that stuff about taking ownership. Here's what I made sure to do differently this time:

1 - plug the phone into the PC and turn it on normally.
2 - dial the ##DATA#, click the first item in the list and select "edit". When it asks for the code, I gave it 000000 twice and it said it was going to reboot. I immediately pressed and held both volume buttons and waited for the phone to enter download mode
3 - I started up the memory dump program just as I had done 100 times already and made a dump and it actually worked this time.

Upvote 0

I took a hint from blind123's instructions. Since I'm using xp, I ignored all that stuff about taking ownership. Here's what I made sure to do differently this time:

2 - dial the ##DATA#, click the first item in the list and select "edit". When it asks for the code, I gave it 000000 twice and it said it was going to reboot. I immediately pressed and held both volume buttons and waited for the phone to enter download mode
3 - I started up the memory dump program just as I had done 100 times already and made a dump and it actually worked this time.

YTMND - You're the man now dog!

Upvote 0

Yup this worked for me, got my MSL

Upvote 0

Nice dude! I no you have a big a#s smile on your face :D

Upvote 0
This worked for me, THANK YOU!!!

If it helps anyone, I used:

Windows 7 Enterprise 32-Bit, I already had admin privileges.

I used this method to install the driver set into Windows:

Troubleshooting (updated)
Issue #1 Corrupt/zeroed out bins (still not fixed)
Potential fixes in order of suggestion are:
granting full administrative rights to drive C:
A factory reset
updating your system's usb drivers
reinstalling your drivers and connecting to another port in the following manner
With your phone DISCONNECTED Go to your start menu and uninstall LG Mobile Update
Go to your control panel and uninstall
LG USB WML Modem Driver
LG SP USB Driver
LG United Mobile Driver
reboot (may be optional but best to do so)
download LGVM696.zip
Open the Zip and drag the LGVM696 directly to the root of your C drive. (do not let it create two LGVM696 directories -ie C:\LGVM696\LGVM696)
Run the 3 exe files
C:\LGVM696\LGUnitedMobileDriver_S4981MAN37AP22_ML_ WHQL_Ver_3.7.2.exe
C:\LGVM696\LG_SmartPhone\LGSmartPhone_ModemlinkDUN Drive_WHQL_ML_Ver_1.0.exe
C:\LGVM696\LG_SmartPhone\LGWindowsMobile_USBDriver _WHQL_ML_Ver_1.0.exe
Connect your phone to a DIFFERENT USB port and Start your phone normally.
Ensure that all on the Development page is ticked (Settings -> applications -> Development). Be sure to let the drivers install
After the drivers successfully install unplug the phone and power it off
Start it in download mode
You should get the com port successfully (if the modem driver installation fails ignore it)
Go into QPST config, remove all the existing ports, then add the new detected and listed port.
Open up QPST Memory debug and the top left icon should say "COM# Phone in Download Mode" (look at the attached img), not anything else.
You now should have a proper and working driver set.

I then began with Step 4 of:

FINDING YOUR MSL FROM A CLEAN SYSTEM

Everything went smoothly.

Just as a general tip to users: Play dumb, meaning, read everything twice before starting, then read every step twice before proceeding. Make yourself an expert before you try it :)

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Ya know what? I've been rather patient about this but I am going to speak my mind

@giant, Nice that the ownership suggestion was ignored and you did something that I've TOLD you ad nauseum to do. ##DATA#.

You should know that in windows xp, since you're still using that rather antiquated OS, that there are no issues with administrative rights. But instead drivers will and often are left behind in the development dust.

Call me a wee bit sensitive or what not, but I feel you've consistently taken a big crap on my efforts thus far, in PM and beyond. Dismissing what I tell you to do and adding other suggestions as though my methods are not good enough for you.

I'm glad you got it working and yes per your PM feel free to post your program as it is obvious you feel it is superior. Never mind the fact that the surrounding text data such as the drlmac and Data text are signs and patterns that leads you to the CORRECT MSL rather than some arbitrary 6 digit number that a program cannot root and find out.

I spent 14 hours on this nonstop for the past 4 days and have teamviewed more than my fair share I'm going to stop. If any of you think you're more technical, if you think you have a great idea to find out an MSL from a phone released less than 2 months ago, do it and don't bitch about it. Don't ask for my help then insinuate my methods are behind, roundabout and what not.

Also I'm going to be a bitch and say that if you don't follow and read my instructions then DISCOVER That you find the MSL thorugh OMG reading my instructions, I'm going to go BS. ##DATA# And enter in as many commands as you can I ALREADY suggested and you blew it OFF. So I trusted you and didn't make a second suggestion even though it could have helped MANY on here.

And that's what pisses me off. One person ruining it for many.

Yes this method is fickle, behind and what not, and ALL that you've so nicely implied. But you know what? It works if you follow it and know how to troubleshoot.

I have NO ego in regards to how I found it so very quickly, and I also trust every single person NOT to have an ego and to have tried their best and read through my methods diligently BEFORE asking for my help.

So YOU want to improve it? DO it and make it easy? BE MY GUEST. But don't ask for MY help, and if you want to do it RIGHT then you should troubleshoot EVERY single person with every single issue without making the other person wrong even though you know very likely they didn't FOLLOW a step.

From what your Private Messages showed I don't think you're capable of that, unless this extreme doubt is only directed at me.

But maybe I'm wrong.

So I'm going to take a break and giant can lead this MSL development since I get Private Messages insinuating I don't know shit.

Perhaps he's right. ANd in that case the torch goes to him.

Enjoy.

Upvote 0
##DATA# And enter in as many commands as you can I suggested and you blew it OFF.

So I trusted you and didn't make a second suggestion.

And yes this method is fickle, behind and what not but you know what? It works if you follow it and troubleshoot.

Want to improve it? DO it and make it easy? BE MY GUEST.

You should then troubleshoot EVERY single person with every single issue without making the other person wrong even though you know very likely they didn't FOLLOW a step.

OK, just pointing out, I tried entering the commands last night, all the ones in the first post in this thread, then dumping the memory, after granting Administrator ownership and everything, and it didn't work. This morning, I tried BliND123's suggestion of doing the ##DATA# thing while it was plugged in, and immediately entering download mode, and it worked. I now have my MSL code, after two days of being tempted to do everything up to reformatting my computer (haven't done that yet, but it was getting to that point) in an attempt to get it.

I'm not sure why your method didn't and his/hers did, but in my particular case, it did. Maybe it has something to do with having it already plugged in and entering download mode when it reboots, I'm not sure. But entering multiple codes in an attempt to populate the dump with my MSL didn't work, doing an immediate reboot into download mode the way BliND123 suggested did.

Not trying to start something, just putting in my two cents in response to your obviously being upset about people not following your instructions, when I at least did and it still didn't work.

Upvote 0
There's no need to be like that. You suggested that I try ##DATA# and then try to get dumps. I did that, and it didn't work. What I did differently that DID work is holding the volume buttons so it would boot directly into download mode. And since it worked for me, I thought it would be nice to share that information with other people.

I have not deliberately tried to step on your toes, I have done my best to be courteous towards you both in the forum and in the few private messages we shared. I'm not trying to steal your thread or your thunder.

Upvote 0
C'mon guys, let's please not have any drama. The successful rooting and flashing of the OE is not credible to any one person. But if somebody has put tons of effort into it, then they need to be respected as such. An if you have found a way to do something easier, more successfully, than you should make a new thread about it. For example, I was the first one to flash the OE, but my method wasn't working. So when somebody discovered a better method, they made a new thread I was more than happy to become a follower. Lets be a team, but give credit where its deserved :)

Reactions: kwknott and ktb83
Upvote 0
What I posted above was with the help of WhisperPntr, and is what I did on my netbook after I watched and she did on my desktop. I think this is a misunderstanding where I said: "The method WhisperPntr probably works but I remember having trouble with it at one point where I was trying to do something with my computer. If you understand it and have maybe used it before, go ahead..." What I meant by that is using TakeOwnershipEx instead of the hidden administrative account to get the correct owner rights to folders where I know she checked. Everything else is what she told me to do.

Upvote 0
I'd like to say that I'm very grateful for the time, support, efforts and dedication of some members involved here. I recognize some of us experienced a great amount of frustration in getting through this process. Plenty of us likely had forehead-slapping moments, but I'm sure many of us learned/relearned some things. I enjoyed the process.

Please be respectful, everyone.

Let's not forget - we have root!

Thanks, everybody.

sp802_Awesome-O_1.jpg

Upvote 0
okay so i have my ebi0_cs0.bin files and they are both 256mb but i looked for my msl code and can never find it using ctrl g and the codes for the offset. Am i doing it right because i'm having no luck!

Don't know if you got my message since website went down a minute after posting earlier but if you want I can try to help with TeamViewer, PM me if you do.

Upvote 0
Anyone want to do a team viewer? I've tried this 100 times and can't get it to work

I'm sorry, I don't have time for that right now. I can't imagine there are many issues left which have not already been covered in this thread. So, be sure that you've ready through the entire thread.

Otherwise, hang in there, somebody will probably be around at some point today who may be able to help you. I wish you luck. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones