• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Return Samsung Captivate for AT&T 4G Phone?

Should I return Samsung Captivate for 4G phone?

• Don't return it, keep the Captivate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Return it and get the HTC Inspire

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Return it and wait for the Atrix

• Return it and wait for the Infuse

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

knubie

Feb 2, 2011
Hello, I purchased the Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S) less than two weeks ago and have 14 days left to try it out without penalty. Today, AT&T announced the availability of the first Android 4G phone, HTC Inspire 4G for $99 on Feb 19. they also mentioned the Atrix and Infuse, but no release date yet.

Here's my question, Should I return the Captivate and wait for a 4G phone? If so, which one are people more excited with, HTC Inspire, Motorola Atrix for Samsung Captivate? The HTC Inspire is the first one with the announced date and price.

I want to make sure the phone will last me the two years of the contract. I paid $75 for the Captivate, and is my first experience with Android. The Touchwiz interface is nice, the phone is light and have 1Ghz processor and 16GB of RAM built in and is on the 3G network. The Inspire is $99 and has same processor speed, a bigger screen, has less built-in memory by default, but it has front facing camera and flash, both that Captivate lacks. However, Inspire runs on the 4G network, Captivate runs on 3G.

How does the HTC Android interface compare to Captivate? How's the battery life? My friend has to charge his throughout the day. My Captivate will go over a day for average talk and surfing.

My apologies for so many questions, but I have less than 14 days to decide if I'm going to return/replace the phone before the grace period expires.

Here are links to the specs of each phone:
Samsung Captivate 3g:
Samsung Captivate (TM) Cell Phone - Wireless from AT&T

HTC Inspire 4g:
HTC Inspire 4G Android 2.2 Smartphone - Wireless from AT&T

Welcome to the Android Forums!

The need for 4G service really depends on your specific utilization of the phone. Are you downloading large amounts of data frequently? Running lots of interactive apps that share data with other users? Do you do much video conferencing currently?

The Captivate is a good phone as I'm sure the Inspire is too... Given the similarity of hardware specs I'd say both will last you about the same length of time. Some may prefer the Inspire due to Sense UI on the HTC phone.

Upvote 0
Thanks Martimus, I noticed the specs were pretty similar also. The front facing camera and flash are nice. I just don't have experience with HTC phones.

I interested in the Atrix, but it's over my budget.

Welcome to the Android Forums!

The need for 4G service really depends on your specific utilization of the phone. Are you downloading large amounts of data frequently? Running lots of interactive apps that share data with other users? Do you do much video conferencing currently?

The Captivate is a good phone as I'm sure the Inspire is too... Given the similarity of hardware specs I'd say both will last you about the same length of time. Some may prefer the Inspire due to Sense UI on the HTC phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones