• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Return to stock for Warranty

mmoffitt9241

Sep 3, 2010
I've got a rooted stock Froyo Captivate. I've been having the random shut down problem so I want to return it for Warranty. Before I do, I assume I should unroot...What's the best way? I saw on XDA that you can completely wipe it and go back to stock but then I loose my contacts and stuff...I used SuperOneClick1.7 to root and it has an option to unroot...so should I just use that?

Also, I deleted some of the ATT crap...will they notice? because it won't let me restore it from Titanium for some reason...

Are there any other files or anything I need to make sure I delete after (or before) unrooting?

Is there a step by step? I tried searching the forum but so much other stuff comes up that isn't what I need (other phones and subjects) that it was such a pain....

Thanks for your help!

Mike

I doubt that they'll go so far as to check whether it's rooted, but unroot nonetheless since it's easy. Regarding apps you should be safe. They want you in and out and are typically adverse to performing an autopsy. If they ask about missing apps (highly doubtful), play dumb.

Repeat after me:

"I dunno, never noticed that."

Then sneeze a couple of times telling them you're coming down with the flu. That'll do it. Just like an illusionist. Deflection.

Upvote 0
I've gotten both a droid inc and samsung captivate replaced with the warranty and unrooted them both without them noticing. That said, this story I heard about someone who returned an unrooted phone and then finding a $500 charge on their phone bill is still always in the back of my head. This is the reason that after I got my captivate, i made absolutely sure there was no reason (besides the unfixable gps) to return it before I rooted it and started flashing roms.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones