• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Returned my Droid 3

ArmchairBear

Apr 28, 2010
After using it for 10 days, it just wasn't the right phone for me. The main problem was how washed out the colors looked on the screen. It just always looked "off" to me. I compared it to my HTC Incredible, and the Inc looked much better. The RGBW configuration, I just don't like it. But it does make the screen much more usable.

Don't get me wrong, the Droid 3 is a very good phone. There was just some things about it that didn't work for me.

Turns out I did not like sliding out a physical keyboard as much as I thought, even if it is probably the best keyboard there is.

I did not like how heavy it was. It was easy to fall out of my hand when I was using it with one hand, I have small hands.

The boxy shape of it also made it hard to hold. It just did not feel good in my hand.

After a while I just missed my Inc.

Oh well, I gave it a shot.

Hope everyone else is enjoying their Droid 3.

Reactions: Frisco and ekyle
After using it for 10 days, it just wasn't the right phone for me. The main problem was how washed out the colors looked on the screen. It just always looked "off" to me. I compared it to my HTC Incredible, and the Inc looked much better. The RGBW configuration, I just don't like it. But it does make the screen much more usable.

Don't get me wrong, the Droid 3 is a very good phone. There was just some things about it that didn't work for me.

Turns out I did not like sliding out a physical keyboard as much as I thought, even if it is probably the best keyboard there is.

I did not like how heavy it was. It was easy to fall out of my hand when I was using it with one hand, I have small hands.

The boxy shape of it also made it hard to hold. It just did not feel good in my hand.

I can certainly say that I AM enjoying it 100%! I'm sure it's not the perfect phone for everyone. If it was, there wouldn't be so many others out there. It is the perfect phone for me and I'm LOVIN' it!

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0

Thanks for the review. The Droid3 is/was on my list of phones to try, but I too have small hands and was also wondering how the phone felt when not attached to the display stand at my local VZW store.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

You know what? I like this. You say you didn't like the phone, but you didn't completely bash it and say how much it sucks. It just didn't work out for your particular tastes. And you threw a little review in there too :) Thanks

What are you using now?

Upvote 0
All subjective, since I find the display more natural, brighter and better resolution (as the Anandtech review analisys confirms). I can see some folks getting used to the cartoon level saturation on the amoled display, but the lack of brightness and poor outside viewing was a negative for me.

If a person has smaller hands, I can see where the Inc might be preferred, if a KB is not needed. That all said, I had the Inc since second day of launch and would not go back to it unless for a back-up. Drains battery faster, runs hotter and is slower. Not to mention the muddy call quality my Inc had (some do, some do not).

Added: Not being constrained with the 135mb data/data folder cap is also nice. HTC did a poor job with storage allocations with the Inc.

Upvote 0
I'm back to my HTC Inc. I love everything about my Inc except for the battery life. The Droid 3 has decent battery life, I really liked it for that. My Inc is rooted and running cm7, which fixes a lot of the problems with it.

Yeah, I'll agree that the colors on an amoled screen does look cartoonish sometimes, but it is what I prefer over the rgbw look. The amoled screen's outdoor viewing does suck, but doesn't bother me too much.

I really think a 4" screen phone is the sweet spot for size. That's why I really wanted the Droid 3. On paper, it had everything I thought I wanted.

4.3" screen phones look ridiculously large, but who knows, I may end up with a Samsung Galaxy S2. I learned that I should keep an open mind. The inc2 might be a good phone for me, but I really want a duo core phone. Duo core phones smaller than 4.3" are hard to find.

You really can't bash the droid3, it's a really good phone. I hate reviewers who do bash it because like me, they didn't like it based subjective personal preferences, and that shouldn't count as much as they made it count.

Upvote 0

I sure wish more users who've decided to go with something else would express it all as you did there. Some just get angry and upset over the disappointment, and then post a "this phone sux!" rant.

Good stuff, ArmchairBear.

Fwiw, I love to annoy the floor monkeys.. I mean the sales people at the phone store by narrowing my choices down to two or three devices, then playing with them each for a long time, kind of pretending like I own it and have it at home, etc.

Then I buy. ;)

Upvote 0
I sure wish more users who've decided to go with something else would express it all as you did there. Some just get angry and upset over the disappointment, and then post a "this phone sux!" rant.

Good stuff, ArmchairBear.

Fwiw, I love to annoy the floor monkeys.. I mean the sales people at the phone store by narrowing my choices down to two or three devices, then playing with them each for a long time, kind of pretending like I own it and have it at home, etc.

Then I buy. ;)
I have had the bad habit of not testing my phones before I buy them. At least the last three. My X, Bolt, and now the D3. I'm good 2 for 3 now haha.

Upvote 0
Haha, floor monkeys, that's a good one. I hate my local verizon store. The employees dress and talk like cars salesmen/saleswomen. The salesman who helped me with the Droid 3 kept hounding me to buy their home phone service. He asked me at least 10 times why I didn't want to get the service. They were like sharks, I felt like prey. I definitely didn't feel human, cuz they didn't treat me like an actual person. I think I will be ordering my phones directly from Verizon website from now on.

Back to the topic. I was always interested in the Droid numbered series. I used to have a Helio Ocean (crazy huh), and I liked having a keyboard. I was THIS close to getting the Droid 1 when I was switching to Verizon. Then, the Droid Incredible was announced, and the specs just blew me away. When I got the Inc, I was struggling to get used to the virtual keyboard. A few months later, the Droid 2 was announced and I thought, "crap! I should have waited for that."

Before the Droid 3 was announced I was waiting for the Samsung Galaxy SII because of the great reviews it received, even though I don't like the size of 4.3" screen phones. It seemed to take forever for it to come to the US. So when the Droid 3 was announced and specs listed, it sounded like the perfect phone for me. The OMAP 4430 duo core processor, keyboard, and 4" screen sold me. The early reviews did warn me about the screen. I tried the demo unit at the store and it seemed okay to me. The screen was definitely pixelated, but that didn't bother me at all surprisingly, because I'm a graphics whore. I later learned more about the subpixels of the Droid 3 screen. The W in the RGBW is proportionally big, that allows the screen to be bright and usable outdoors and require less battery power. I liked the high resolution of the Droid 3 screen, but I guess I'm just an AMOLED guy.

My next phone: SGS2 or maybe even the Nexus Prime, but Verizon has never had a Nexus phone.

Upvote 0
I am completely hooked on the D3... I have finally found a worth successor to my D1 and Pro - I completely skipped over the D2 series.

The D3 captures what the droid experience was supposed to be - lightning quick response, butter smooth home screen transitions, and the quickest gameplay besides my asus Transformer.

My wife I would upgrade every year (as she upgrades one year, my time is the following year) - so we would try out a new model every twelve months. But when her upgrade comes time next September, we are just going to get another D3. I don't want anything else in a phone, maybe except root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones