• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Returning Vibrant- what will/would you get?

After reading about Samsung Moment users getting told by Samsung there would be a GPS fix and them never getting one- and instead Samsung making the Moment an obsolete phone. I am not going to "trust Samsung" or wait 2 years to be stuck with a Vibrant without a working GPS- not to mention the lag/freeze issues and no LED notification light of any kind.

I am not going to even consider the Sprint Epic as no doubt it will have the GPS issues just like we and ATT Captivate users have.

I'm leaning towards a Sprint EVO 4G if I can find one, video calling using Fring with the front camera will be nice! As well as a fully functioning accurate GPS, camera LED flash, and LED notification light.

How about everyone else?

After reading about Samsung Moment users getting told by Samsung there would be a GPS fix and them never getting one- and instead Samsung making the Moment an obsolete phone. I am not going to "trust Samsung" or wait 2 years to be stuck with a Vibrant without a working GPS- not to mention the lag/freeze issues and no LED notification light of any kind.

I am not going to even consider the Sprint Epic as no doubt it will have the GPS issues just like we and ATT Captivate users have.

I'm leaning towards a Sprint EVO 4G if I can find one, video calling using Fring with the front camera will be nice! As well as a fully functioning accurate GPS, camera LED flash, and LED notification light.

How about everyone else?

Please reconsider the Evo. It really is a brick of a mess. It performs horribly in all benchmarks, the processor is the slowest 1ghz you can get, and the GPU is crap. The screen is large, but other than that its utter junk. Don't let something silly like FFC fool you. Maybe try the droidX, or incredible, droid2 is coming out also this week. if you don't care about a super phone, the mytouch slide is a great dependable phone. Maybe you can get a nexus one through developers purchase. consider not only the phone but the carrier also.

good luck in your search. Obviously a gps fix will be released. Samsung is not going to create a mess for themselves with a world release phone. You are forgetting that point, this is a world release. Moment and behold weren't. They have a lot riding on this phone. Its on EVERY CARRIER ALL OVER THE WORLD. Just give them time.

Upvote 0
Weigh your options and pick your poison. You can return the Vibrant, we could care less.

A little research goes a long ways, and the other competition out there is far from perfect.

The only phone even close to the Vibrant is the Droid X. But unfortunately that comes with Verizon's overpriced, slow, and capped 3G plans. Sure you could get great voice coverage with Verizon, but you're in the market for a smart phone, not a cheap flip phone.

Sure the Vibrant has its issues, but are you really comparing it to the Moment? That's almost as absurd as comparing it to the Behold 2. This is Samsung's first flagship phone and they have a lot of money riding behind it. It won't be left out to dry like their past phones.

Anyways, feel free to go test the waters, but I have a feeling that you'll be thoroughly unimpressed with the competition.

Upvote 0
I agree with Spiz. You'll probably be unimpressed. At least I was. I have had a Mytouch slide, Iphone 4, and EVO in the last month. I am sticking with the Vibrant. My GPS got me where I was going on an 8 hour trip. GPS test may not show a lot of locked birds, but even when I had no cell reception for hours on my road trip, my GPS kept working. So for me it works well enough. The screen will really get you. Everything looks dull after the Vibrant. The IPhone 4 screen was good. But that's all it had going. I hated the IOS. I mean I really hated it. And the phone feels like a brick for something so small, and I really did feel like if I dropped it the whole thing would shatter. I felt that way about the EVO also. It is so heavy and you can just tell if you drop it, it's a gonner. I did like the EVO, though. I thought it was a great phone. It feels a lot heavier and bigger though and you have to get used to that. And the screen isn't as nice. Nor is the contact list and other small things that I've become accustomed to on the Vibrant. But you may find you really like it. You could always try it for 30 days. Anyway, I've tried all of the above phones. If I were going to try something ELSE besides those and the Galaxy S line... I'd probably consider a Droid Incredible or wait for the Droid 2 release.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones