1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Reverse GPS? (lol Not sure what to call this if it exists)

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by ChiroVette, Aug 28, 2012.

1. ChiroVette

ChiroVette Lurker

Okay, I presently use AllSports GPS to track my road bike rides here in the Big Apple, and I am looking for something a little strange and am not sure it exists.

Now I can use a regular GPS to get directions, obviously, though my Sprint Navigation software seems intent on killing me when I am on a bike by sending me on a highway. lol But I will get to that in a minute.

What I am looking for, as odd as it may sound, is something to help me "plan" a bike ride. Say I want to ride around the circumference of Brooklyn, for instance. Now the border between Brooklyn and Queens isn't well demarcated and the streets in those areas kind of xig zag so that there is no one road that runs north to south that can act as a "border."

So right now, what I have to do is I have a load of "approximate streets" and this requires a ton of turn offs, zig-zaging, etc. with no clear route. So I have to manually write or print out directions the old fashioned way. What I was hoping for was an app that allows me to open up a map and sort of manually "draw" in or enter very specific streets that I wish to follow later on my route without having to keep looking at a piece of paper or stare at a map of my phone, trying to decipher turn points on the go while pedaling.

I would like to be able to manually create any route I please and then get turn-by-turn directions, ala GPS. If that isn't possible, I would settle for mounting my phone on my bicycle and and having a "dot," arrow, or cursor of some kind representing my exact position so I can glance down and know when turns are coming up.

Does such a thing exist? Because the problem I seem to be facing is that GPS systems are great for "Point A to Point B" navigation, but what if I want one trip to consist of, say point A, B, C, D, E, F......all the way through Z? Even that would be a great way to go rather than having a phone or PC map that I electronically and manually sort of "draw on."

Any ideas? :)

Thanks!

2. athegn

athegn Android Enthusiast

"...seems intent on killing me when I am on a bike by sending me on a highway..."

Know what you mean; Google maps won't let you draw "off highway"

I too would like some software to draw a route, where I want, including "off highway"

We have some sort of cycling additions in UK but even though supplied from a respectable charity (Sustrans) they do send you into some dangerous spots; locally we know how to "safely" cross highways to get to cycle friendly tracks/roads but cannot draw these in Google maps.

If you can get My tracks routes i.e routes done by someone else this maybe a partial solution. I have sent a few My Tracks routes to others.

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Yeah, Ovi Maps had this feature of allowing you to make and save a route. Something I miss on Android.

4. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User

Have a look at BackCountry Navigator.

With the app you can create a route as you asked, with drawing it on the map and then follow it with your bike as dot on the map. But not as turn-by-turn navigation with speaking ;)

You can choose several free maps, for the city it might be an OpenStreetMap, for trekking it should be on of the topogaphic maps.

Harry

5. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Android Expert

I have done similar on Google Maps, but it has to be done online. However, what you are describing could be done there. On Google Maps, choose a start and destination then you can drag the map to certain places that you want to go. My wife and daughter wanted to do a shopping trip through Charlotte, NC a while back and all they wanted to hit were the Goodwill Stores. I searched for Goodwill in Google, placed all the stores in Maps, choose the last store that we wanted to get to as my destination and my home as my start and started dragging the map to the individual stores that we wanted to hit. They don't show up as stops, but it worked. I did this using Google Chrome on the PC and then used Chrome to Phone to send the map to my phone. Worked fairly well. BTW, I sat in the car a lot that day :boring:.

BigRedGonzo

6. Colchicine

Colchicine Android Expert

I recommend the same thing as BigRedGonzo.
    Draw your route on Google Maps. You can then use Chrome to Phone to get it to your phone. It doesn't get much simpler than that. You should also consider saving it to My Places so you can more easily recall that route.

7. ChiroVette

ChiroVette Lurker

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Okay, I am trying to "draw" a route on Google maps, but for what I am trying to do, it is a real mess. For instance, my starting point and ending point would be exactly the same, since I am basically planning to go around in a circle, so I tried to get around that by setting my start and end points a block away from one another. The problem is that whenever I drag on points in the route, it creates these crazy ass, zany routes going in strange figure 8's ha;f the time. Google Maps keeps trying to anticipate what it thinks I want to do, but whenever I drag on parts of it, I end up with some crazy, discombobulated mess of a route. I tried setting the map to "walking" since Google maps forces the route to follow traffic rules otherwise.

Any ideas how to more easily create a route in Google Maps? Does it have the ability to have multiple destinations? That would likely make it a lot easier as I could more readily create a route piece-meal that way, say if instead of a start point and an end point, I had a dozen end points and start points all on the same route..

Thanks!

Edit: Okay, I figured it out! Looks like there is an "Add Destination" button right under the start and end points of the route above the directions. Coool!

8. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Try Mapquest. You can set waypoints in your route. No idea if you can save it for next use though.

9. Colchicine

Colchicine Android Expert

1996 just called, it wants to get you lost all over again.

10. wudwork

wudwork Lurker

The issue we face is "turn-by-turn" voice. Currently its not available.

I have just started using OruxMaps. You can create tracks on Google earth, download the KMZ file to the phone then navigate along that track. I have not tried this yet but have seen my track for rides completed. It offers option to reverse the track. Again, no turn-by-turn or any voice announce.

My feeling is the players are holding out on Google to see if they will offer this. If they do, it puts a hurtin on the little guys. If they don't, it puts a hurtin on the little guys as well all sit on sidelines awaiting.

If you discover an app, please share. Thanx, Tom