1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Reverse lookup really free

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Rgarner, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I just started getting these weird messages. I have no idea who's sending them. It would probably be pretty stupid to reply to them. Instead I want to do reverse lookup to find who has those phone numbers. Most would likely cost, but is there a good free one?

Advertisement

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Why even bother, spammers use spoofing now so even if you do call back the number, the person will be oblivious to what's happening.
    Just install a good call blocking app such as Youmail

3. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

I use Youmail as Dannydet recommended a while back. Greatest call blocking app I've ever used.

However, I get alot of spam/spoof calls on my desk phone at work The previous occupant had a lot of bill collectors and some health issue so now I get these calls.

I use this app called Phone Reveal. It's not 100% (meaning it does not have every name or company) but it does a good job looking up numbers. And it's free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skiily.www.phonereveal&hl=en_US

#3 tube517, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  4. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I'm not sure they're spammers exactly. The first message sounded kind of Halloween. Then I was accused of being a "fake person", whatever that means. How did they even get the number?

5. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

In this day and age, you never know anymore. I get what appears to be legit phone calls on my work/desk phone (caller ID shows a name/number) but I have no idea who the name listed on the caller ID is. IF I answer, there is dead air or they have hung up already. I have to answer calls at work but if they are like that, I don't answer anymore. It has gotten so bad in the past few years for everybody.

ocnbrze, Dannydet and Rgarner like this.
  6. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I tried to get phonereveal, but the S5 claimed it was not installed. At least I haven't got any more "messages". Maybe it's because I didn't take the bait.

7. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

S5? What android version is your S5 on?

ocnbrze likes this.
  8. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

There used to be reverse lookup websites that were free but I guess they thought requiring users to sign up with a fee would be more profitable than ad revenues. I'm pretty sure they were wrong.

Dannydet, Rgarner and ocnbrze like this.
  9. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

whitepages.com charges per month or annually now to get substantive information

Rgarner and ocnbrze like this.
  10. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

It's on 6.0.1. I'm not sure that would make any difference. I did get 1 more message late afternoon but nothing since then.

11. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

I'd like to be able to block a specific area code, as the majority of spam/scam calls all have the same area code, and I have no legitimate contacts with that code.

12. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

youmail can do this.

13. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Dannydet likes this.