• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Reverse tether" aka internet pass-through

gg1001

Feb 14, 2011
TN
I subscribe to the 200MB data plan, so I have to use WiFi as much as possible to limit my data usage.

At work, I have a strong wired ethernet connection, but a shotty WiFi connection. An idea came to mind where I could use the wired ethernet connection on my PC and pass it to my Inspire via USB - a "reverse tether".

HTC refers to the "reverse tether" as internet pass-through and it is a built in option when you connect your Inspire to a PC via USB cable.

Problem solved. Thanks HTC!

No pics, but here's a link:
http://www.htc.com/us/support/inspire-att/help/connectivity/

See this section: What type of USB connection does my device support?

Upvote 0
Read the original posts and hooked up my phone w usb, choose "use as internet passthrough" to load applications and get familiar w some options. My media use went through the roof. Unhelpful ATT rep said that hooking up this way does NOT activate reverse tethering. According to him, you don't just attache w usb.

SO..how exactly do you use it?

Upvote 0
I know its a little out of scope, but I have an N95 with 3G data contract running as a Wireless Hotspot (running app called JoikuSpot)

a) on my PC I can connect fine, but sees the connection as a "unsecured computer to computer connection.
BUT
On my other phone HTC G2 Hero which is a PAYG contract, I wanted to connect to the N95 hotspot, but it wont detect the wireless connection, it works fine on the PC though.

Is it possible to use the N95_3G I think a Phone-to-Phone Tethering?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones