• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Reversed Polarity flytouch 3

Rubbertree

Lurker
May 24, 2011
Well....I got my flytouch3 about a week ago. As with many others, the charger crapped out on me within the first day. I bought a new head and soldered it on to the existing psu...wouldn't you know it...I reversed the polarity (I think).
So...a quick little zap and now the battery won't charge. The pad still works and I assume it will until the battery drains out.
Question...besides taking a hammer to the thing is there any way to resolve this issue? I'm not adverse to opening it up if there is something to be done on the inside but I cringe at the thought of tossing the whole thing when it still essentially works.
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
Cheers,
RT

I think this is the same problem I have. I bought a car charger for this at Radio Shack and I think I put the tip on the charger incorrectly. after trying to charge it in the car (which it wouldn't do) the tablet would no longer charge. It still had battery life and it worked as normal, but would not charge. Hoping to hear an answer here.

Upvote 0
Well....I got my flytouch3 about a week ago. As with many others, the charger crapped out on me within the first day. I bought a new head and soldered it on to the existing psu...wouldn't you know it...I reversed the polarity (I think).
So...a quick little zap and now the battery won't charge. The pad still works and I assume it will until the battery drains out.
Question...besides taking a hammer to the thing is there any way to resolve this issue? I'm not adverse to opening it up if there is something to be done on the inside but I cringe at the thought of tossing the whole thing when it still essentially works.
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
Cheers,
RT

OUCH!!! Well, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that based on my experience from my old Ham Radio days you've probably burned out a diode. You could open er' up and possibly locate the zapped semiconductor, but if you can indeed locate the fried diode, the challenge is then going to be figuring out what type/rating device to replace it with. If you have some experience with solid state electronics repair then it might be possible to do, but this is probably beyond the capabilities of the average tablet user. Good luck.

Upvote 0
If it is such a problem, it is going to be beyond me, but since the charge connection goes straight to the battery to be charged, I don't think it should be that difficult to locate.

In my case, the battery powers the tablet just fine, so the battery to CPU is okay. It is somewhere from power plug to battery.

Upvote 0
Part of the problem with trying to repair indvidual blown components on a FT3 is the circuit board is only about 5 inches square and aside from the CPU and a few of the larger IC's, all of the resistors, capacitors etc. are very, very tiny. Using Surface Mount Technology, many of these are "wave soldered" onto the board with automated equipment, and aren't designed or intended for replacement of individual dead components. I'm not saying it's impossible to fix, but even for someone with the requisite skills and tools it's gonna be a challenge.

Upvote 0
hello, I had the same problem, opened the flytouch and fix it by changing the component that was burned.
is a capacitor 476j:)

Attachments

• foto.jpg
    foto.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones