1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Reverting back to gingerbread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by t sport 1978, Jun 3, 2012.

1. ifb-online

ifb-online Android Enthusiast

Can you provide some examples?

Ian

Advertisement

2. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

You can change the font size in settings

3. laurie53

laurie53 Newbie

Two off the top of my head

Reware "My Back Up Pro" now appears in a much smaller window

Pocket Informant menus appear in a smaller font (and smaller window).

4. ifb-online

I've not heard of these - are they apps? If so, it seems that developers need to modernise them.

None of the over 100 apps I have downloaded to my Note have display problems.

Ian

5. ridgmont61

ridgmont61 Newbie

Time for a bit of humble pie.

I initially tried the LPY German Version of ICS, but reverted back to GB as battery life was poor and many crashes.

I have followed the advice above and read comments by ifb-online. I have now gone back to ICS but prior to this did a reset in GB, then after installing ICS did another reset and a USB format.

It was a bit of a faff as all Apps needed to be reinstalled and then configured.

The phone is now far more stable (than previous ICS and as stable as GB) and now that I have also under settings>applications>all I have disabled apps that I was not going to use I have found that battery life is excellent.

As an example yesterday phone was taken off charge at 8am, used lightly all day on wi-fi and at 9pm battery was showing at 70%. Today from 8am to 1pm battery has dropped by just 8% to 92%.

So it is possible to get stable ICS and with excellent battery use.

Feel free to feel smug ifb-online - and thanks for the advice. Also thanks to t sport 1978

6. ifb-online

As said in the other thread - me smug? Never. I'm humbly pleased that my own pontifications have resulted in some good!

Ian

7. GiggityGiggity

GiggityGiggity Android Enthusiast

ifb-online, it seems you and I are the only people to upgrade to ICS and actually be happy with the result!

8. banko

banko Newbie

no your not:)
    i upgraded last week and find most things working better than GB.
    I don't use my note as heavy as some of you, so cannot comment on the battery usage yet,
    currently on 37% after 2 days 15 hours, Haven't had that many charge cycles but usage seems similar to GB,
    I'll comment on battery usage after more use. especially after the weekend

9. ifb-online

I still maintain that there is little incentive to let people know when something has worked as expected. But if it goes wrong, well that's a different matter. So I'm sure there are many more happy customers than us!

Ian

10. Well so far the update has caused me quite a few problems

Unit getting very very hot when browsing
    will not connect to my bluetooth handsfree
    battery useage is now awful
    phone dialer keeps crashing, mainly when in samsung car dock
    crashes at times when using camera
    will randomly reset itself

i want to reset back to gingerbread, but seems so uch more compicated then on my dell streak where i could just download an apk and open it.

11. ifb-online

So none of the solutions others have successfully used worked for you?

Ian

12. sportf190

sportf190 Guest

can anyone please help me i updated and I can't get odin for mac it doesn't work. What software can i use to go back to Gingerbread. I don't even get service, doesn't recognize my sim so I can't even use the phone as well as all the other areas and constant freezes..

13. PJ147

PJ147 Android Enthusiast

I had battery issues as after the update the phone would not enter deep sleep. Solved this by factory reset.

Be aware though of the eMMC brick bug as a factory reset could hard brick your note.

14. After a reset the battery issues are a lot better, but still having all the other issues with my phone, im jealous of my missus as she still has Gingerbread

15. mbr

mbr Lurker

My Note has been perfect since I bought it in November. Upgrading to ICS has been a disaster with so many problems. I just want my Note to be back like it was. As a newbie I do not know how to revert back to Gingerbread, i would be grateful if someone could post details instructions on how to do it.
    Many thanks

16. ifb-online

Have you tried the various remedies documented here that have helped others?

Ian

17. Icenote

Icenote Lurker

I used this and now my note is usable again ICS killed the battery life and was lagging now its back to gingerbread it brilliant again.

18. Icenote

Icenote Lurker

19. ilordvader

ilordvader Well-Known Member

Hi
    All i did after updateing with Kies to ICS
    I did factory reset
    I also formated my Internal 16gb card

& it runs smother & no battery Issues

Only problem i have is in Contacts
    when I open contacts it slugish
    I dont have many contacts only 300

Hope it Helps

20. soldier1969

soldier1969 Newbie

Well at least all of you have the option to update to ICS here in the US we cant get it yet and dont know when we will. Samsung is already mentioning the Note 2 this week due out this Fall. Sad to say the Note 2 will come out before they have ironed out the bugs with ICS and the US version gets it.

21. t sport 1978

t sport 1978 Well-Known Member

:thumbup:

Android 4.0 update now rolling to AT&T Galaxy Note - GSMArena.com news

22. captivate808

captivate808 Lurker

Just upgraded to ICS today and still testing it out. So far the only problem I have is the OEM Mail app I use for my Exchange server now goes to a black screen for a few minutes then crashes. GMail works OK though.

23. Pepee63

Pepee63 Member

wonderful, listened to you guys, did factory reset and now contacts missing, my wifi wont connect. i backed everything up on sd card before hand, now cant find the app. lost everything. Thanks guys. No wonder ifans laugh at us how stupid our phones are. I just want it to work and it just doesn't