• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Review of Anker PowerPort Strip with 6 AC outlets and 4 USB ports, w/lots of pics!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a Review of Anker PowerPort Strip with 6 AC outlets and 4 USB ports. Available on
http://amzn.to/2e7mQai ($29.99)

Considering that every household has multiple smartphones and tablets, regardless if it's Android or Apple, multi-port USB chargers become a "must have" gadget to save room since you don't have to deal with single port power adapters. It works quite well in our living/family room where I need to use just one AC outlet to charge both of our smartphones, my kids tablets, their 3DS, and audio players. But we still run into a problem when we have to charge our camera batteries or to plug in laptops, printer, or other home entertainment components. It also becomes a problem in our bedroom where we have a typical 2-AC outlet on each side of the bed next to the nightstand and both outlets are used for night lamp and alarm clock. That's where we have to use typical Power Strip with 6 AC outlets for the lamp and the clock, and USB charger. This becomes messy with more wires and more chargers. The solution - a smart power strip I just tested from Anker which combines 6 AC outlets with 4 USB port charger.

Unboxing.

Unboxing here is straight forward, you get a sturdy easy to open box with Anker logo and power strip inside. With so many poor quality power strips I came across (thin cables, cheap plastic, light weight), it was nice to feel a heft of a solid build in my hands.

anker_powerstrip_usb-01_zpsleju545e.jpg

anker_powerstrip_usb-02_zpskqzbx3wg.jpg

Design.

There is nothing groundbreaking about the design of power strip section where you will find 6 typical AC outlets with 15A fused power switch circuit-breaker, just enough to handle a typical wall AC outlet. What stands out is the thick durable plastic housing enclosure which looks like it can take a serious abuse if you drop it or kick it, and a thick power cable to handle high current. Keep in mind, the thicker the power wire the lower the gauge rating, meaning you can handle more current without overheating the wires - one of the common faults causing electric fire. I also liked how there is an attached velcro strip to keep cable organized for storage and to keep the cable length under control.

The "groundbreaking" part of the design is where you see the power strip extension accommodating 4 USB ports with Anker's IQ power management which automatically adjusts to the optimal speed of your charging devices while supplying up to 2.4A of current per port, total combined of 6A. I also like how when power is On, you get a typical red light indicator from the power switch and also a green power LED indicator next to USB ports - great visual feedback that everything is on and operating ok.

anker_powerstrip_usb-03_zpsic1ceukz.jpg

anker_powerstrip_usb-04_zpsif4wrcv4.jpg

anker_powerstrip_usb-05_zpslwyoafeb.jpg

anker_powerstrip_usb-06_zpsqgppb1tw.jpg

anker_powerstrip_usb-07_zpsm4atexib.jpg

anker_powerstrip_usb-08_zpsuffnl1e5.jpg

anker_powerstrip_usb-09_zps63vysxzh.jpg

Charging.

Obviously, AC outlets were operating flawless, spacing between ports was enough for large power plugs, and everything felt solid.

When it comes to USB charging, I found it to perform identical to my Anker and other brands multi-port USB chargers where I measured my Note 4 to sink 1.73A of current at 5.18V. Between our Note 4 and S5 and two Nexus 7 tablets - all devices were charging at the max speed, so no complaints here.

anker_powerstrip_usb-10_zpsmrglqnpq.jpg

Conclusion.

Just like last year when multi port USB chargers were seen everywhere, I'm sure combined AC/USB power strips will gain their momentum in 2016. Such power strip will be especially useful in the bedroom or next to your TV/cable/videogame setup where you need to accommodate multiple AC power cables and also want to charge your micro-usb powered devices. This is also VERY useful when you are traveling and have to deal with a limited AC outlets in a hotel room. When it comes to power strips, it's not just about finding the best bargain but getting it from a company you can trust that uses quality material and actually stands behind their product and their design. I wouldn't trust buying cheap power products from a Dollar Store or no-name products from eBay. Anker PowerPort Strip offers a convenience of 6 AC outlet and 4 high speed USB ports, all powered from a single AC outlet. As a result you get all in one solution, covered by Anker's 18-month warranty, at a price of under $30 which is the same as you would pay for some multi-port USB chargers. This one definitely gets my recommendation!

Last edited:
It's going to be over 10 months since I reviewed this PowerPort strip with ac/usb ports, and I just wanted to chime in with a follow up that it became my essential charging station. Most of the usb chargers I have, even the QC ones, degrade in performance after about 6 months. I mean, with high current and constant use the efficiency goes down, part of a normal wear'n'tear. Here, using this PowerPort with my Note 4 I can charge it FASTER than any of my QuickChargers and the phone never overheats. Honestly, just a must have, especially in the bedroom where you need ac outlet for your alarm clock and a nightlight, and can charger your smartphone, tablet, and smartwatch at the same time (my typical setup). Still available on Amazon, no brainer for $26.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones