• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Review of Antec GAIN bluetooth receiver w/pics!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a review of Antec GAIN bluetooth receiver with Android phone controls: AMP

I think this little gadget is one of the best kept secrets, and I will tell you why in my review. After spending some time reviewing wired headphones with in-line remotes and wireless bluetooth headphones with built-in controls, I have a good idea of what to expect from a headphone and it's control when using Note 2 or any other Android phone, like S4 I was just reviewing. Bluetooth technology is great since you don't have to tie yourself up with an umbilical cord to your phone and can pickup/end a phone call and play/pause audio and maybe control volume or skip a track, depending on models you use. But you also run into an issue when you are in a middle of something and battery goes dead. Plus, not all the headphones have both volume and track skip controls, and sometimes you are dealing with a single button with multiple functionality. Either way, you have some pluses and minuses with both. What GAIN does is to bridge these both giving you an option to use either one while also providing you all the necessary controls.

This little device is small, well actually its tiny! Measured at 40mm x 23mm x 15mm and weight of under 10 grams it looks almost like a toy you get with a Happy Meal. But it actually packs a lot of functionality and executes it really well. First of all it has a clip on the back so you can attach it close to you. Keep in mind, it will host the microphone so you have to remember its not the same as in-line remote on your wired headphones which is close to your face or a microphone built into your earbuds. You want to keep it close to you so it will pick up your voice better. It has a regular micro-usb charging port which is a big bonus since you don't have to dig for any old mini-usb or proprietary cables. According to Antec the battery should last 6 hours of continuous music play. I haven't tested it for 6 hours, so can't confirm that yet. Will rely on a vendor data for now. Next you have 3.5mm jack where you connect headphones. Headphones are supplied as part of the package. These are actually decent looking earphones, doesn't look cheap at all, and they even come with 3 pairs of interchangeable ear tips. The sound quality is not top notch, but its acceptable in this case. I have to note, they have a short cable which is the whole intent of the use because you are not plugging these into a remotely located phone, but rather into a small GAIN receiver which should be closer to you with it's microphone. Of course, the main idea is that you can use ANY headphones connected to this bt receiver to turn them into wireless headphones!!! In case of any regular wired pair of headphones, you will have to deal with an excess of wires, so will have to figure out how to manage it. Another bonus, this is BT receiver so you can use it to turn ANY speaker into a wireless speaker! As a matter of fact, you can even hook it up to aux input of your car stereo to stream music from your phone and/or pick up the calls that way. The possibilities are endless, but I wish Antec would have included 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio adapter cable. They did include usb/micro-usb cable in the package, but audio adapter cable would have been nice as well.

Now, about the bluetooth interface and phone/multimedia controls. When you look at this device, you don't see any buttons. It has a top flat panel which is clickable in the corners and in the middle. The corner functions are assigned to next/prev track selection and volume control, while the area in the middle is multi functional to pick up/end the call and to play/pause the music and the videos. To prevent accidental clicking, there is a lock button on the side. You also get LED indicator in the middle with a cool blue and red light. Pairing up with Note 2 and S4 took seconds, no need to enter any code. From the get go it was working controlling the audio tracks, volume, calls, YT videos, etc. Everything worked as expected. When you pair up with Android smartphone, you get both multimedia and phone pair up and this device supports all the profiles such as EDR, A2DP, Hands Free, and Headset. I was very impressed because I have seen bluetooth receivers before, but this one has a unique functionality to integrate all the audio, multimedia, and phone controls, comes with a bonus pair of headphones and charging cable, and cost around $30 plus change. I do have to mention the sound quality. It will not make a cheap pair of headphones sound like a million bucks. It just transforms it into wireless. So the bundled headphones were not necessary of the highest quality which is noticeable especially at higher volumes. But once I plugged in a pair of my Klipsch earphones - the sound was top notch. I did a/b comparison using Klipsch (S4A II) pugged directly to a phone and through GAIN and found very little degradation. I'm not an audiophile to analyze the whole frequency spectrum to exhaustion at different volume levels. I'm looking at it from a consumer point of view, and I was satisfied.

So, this one definitely gets my two thumbs up!!! A great design, excellent functionality, easy to use, and flexibility of converting any wired headphone into wireless and then back if you run out of battery - definitely a very impressive gadget. I will try to see how it works in the car next, just need to get audio cable adapter.

Here are some pics for your enjoyment:

antec_gain-01_zpsfba78d19.jpg

antec_gain-02_zps261f5cff.jpg

antec_gain-03_zps911b8390.jpg

antec_gain-04_zps3e41003e.jpg

antec_gain-05_zps10acab28.jpg

antec_gain-06_zpsb679a1bf.jpg

antec_gain-07_zps215c18a6.jpg

antec_gain-08_zpsa7368d18.jpg

antec_gain-09_zpse65fddf0.jpg

Thanks for the review, twister. Looks like that's another option, for those that want to have bluetooth audio in their car!

Looking at the pricing, it's still a little high (I've never heard of the company until today, so not sure how their repuatiation is). It is a very nice looking dongle. I've been extremely happy with my Samsung HS3000 and more recently my Sony MW1 Smart Wireless Pro (although, it definitely is overpriced, even though I got it for slightly cheaper than retail, through a local store). Sony has a new one that they just released as well, but I think I was seeing that retail was going to be around $150.

Now, if I were looking to get a replacement dongle, I'd seriously consider this, especially if they lower the price from what it currently is.

Upvote 0
Drex, why do you think pricing is high? It's $31 on amazon, shipped. I checked other devices you mentioned, and those start with $40+ to over $100, right? I actually did look now at Sony and Samsung alternative devices, watched YT reviews, and I found the functionality to be identical.

I never heard of this company before either. It was a tip from someone who got their ISO headphones (similar bt receiver with hardwired high quality noise canceling headphones). They also have external bt speaker "SP1" similar to jawbone and ue boom, but at a much better price. I think this company is EU based and only recently got into mobile audio accessories. I really hope to review their SP1 speaker in the future to compare it with UE Boom I just received (and will post a review in a day or two).

And speaking of external speakers, they typically only have volume control. Well, guess what? I just had GAIN connected to UE Boom (through 3.5mm cable) and was controlling it like a remote control with play/pause, volume up/down, and track skip. This little GAIN device just became my new favorite toy ;) Using it in a car is another great option.

Upvote 0
Drex, why do you think pricing is high? It's $31 on amazon, shipped. I checked other devices you mentioned, and those start with $40+ to over $100, right? I actually did look now at Sony and Samsung alternative devices, watched YT reviews, and I found the functionality to be identical.

I never heard of this company before either. It was a tip from someone who got their ISO headphones (similar bt receiver with hardwired high quality noise canceling headphones). They also have external bt speaker "SP1" similar to jawbone and ue boom, but at a much better price. I think this company is EU based and only recently got into mobile audio accessories. I really hope to review their SP1 speaker in the future to compare it with UE Boom I just received (and will post a review in a day or two).

And speaking of external speakers, they typically only have volume control. Well, guess what? I just had GAIN connected to UE Boom (through 3.5mm cable) and was controlling it like a remote control with play/pause, volume up/down, and track skip. This little GAIN device just became my new favorite toy ;) Using it in a car is another great option.

More-so based on my not being familiar with the company at all.

The one advantage that I've found with the HS3000 over all of the BT dongles I own is that it has a sound boost w/ 3 level adjustment. I didn't think it would be a factor, until I had first connected it in my car. It made enough of a difference that it sounded better than when I was connecting via wired USB, so I switched back to bluetooth. The Gain doesn't have that, neither does my expensive (overpriced and not worth it) MW1 (although the MW1 does have a nifty display that shows my gmail, facebook and twitter (just wish the text messaging app add-on worked).

Both the HS3000 and the MW1 do exactly the same as the GAIN (volume control, track control, etc.). I personally purchased both of my HS3000's for $30 each, but I know they are difficult to find (especially at that price) nowadays. Cheapest is mobilefun, which ends up being $10 more than the GAIN. I'm using one in my car and the other on my Phan-Bot speaker at work.

For the MW1 - Like I mentioned, not worth the price for the small enhancements w/ the display.

Just wanted to mention the other alternatives because not everyone would feel comfortable going with a company they aren't familiar with. As for me, only reason I'd wait for the price to go down, is simply due to my having all the 3.5mm dongles I need (for now), but this is definitely already added on my wishlist.

Upvote 0
Here's the HS3000, for those that want to compare/contrast, to make the best choice for yourself.

Samsung HS3000 Stereo Bluetooth Headset :: MobileFun.com

I've been swearing by these bluetooth dongles for a long time. I spent a lot of time searching for the right one (starting w/ the cheap ebay ones, then finding other home versions, then eventually finding the HS3000 for the right price).

Here's the cheapest current price for the A.M.P. Gain
http://www.nothingbutsoftware.com/P...r3281-ft-Operating-Range-761345730303?ai=1550

I've only purchased one thing from nothing but software before, and had no trouble with it, but I would do some research before buying. Their price of the A.M.P. Gain is a really great deal (enough for me to consider getting one, even though I don't need another dongle).

Upvote 0
Here's the HS3000, for those that want to compare/contrast, to make the best choice for yourself.

Samsung HS3000 Stereo Bluetooth Headset :: MobileFun.com

I've been swearing by these bluetooth dongles for a long time. I spent a lot of time searching for the right one (starting w/ the cheap ebay ones, then finding other home versions, then eventually finding the HS3000 for the right price).

Here's the cheapest current price for the A.M.P. Gain
BXR-100 GRY Antec gain Bluetooth Receiver - 32.81 ft Operating Range 761345730303 - NothingButSoftware.com

I've only purchased one thing from nothing but software before, and had no trouble with it, but I would do some research before buying. Their price of the A.M.P. Gain is a really great deal (enough for me to consider getting one, even though I don't need another dongle).

I also found this very informative YT review, comparing HS3000 and MW600 (not MW1 though): Bluetooth Device Review - Samsung HS3000 and Sony MW600 - YouTube

Upvote 0
LOL. Antec will be familiar with people who build their own computers (from computer cases to power supplies). They are recommended for their PSUs (Power Supply Units). I have three of them powering my home built systems. I honestly didn't know they moved into the mobile industry.

Thanks for another great review twister. :D

Good to know. Thanks for chiming in. That will help a lot for peeps deciding. Makes me want to buy another dongle now.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones