1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Accessories Review of Arkon Mega Grip car mount w/DX

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by twister6, Aug 4, 2010.

1. tritan

tritan Newbie
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    MI
    Here are the pics I was talking about. In the first few you can see I placed the droid where I want to to be seen either the vent visor or next to the mobile radio mic. In some of the other pics you can see I have plenty of space behind where I could mount the goose neck and keep that area next to the mic open. i was debating between the screen down version or a suction cup because I wasn't sure the suction cup will stick to the flat slated metal surface of the console.

Attached Files:

Advertisement

2. firetruck41

firetruck41 Member
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Firefighter/Medic
    Pac NW
    I bought 7-8 of these for our fire engines and medic units, I used the plastic disc with adhesive and then suction cup to that, on everyone of them. Works great, I think I have heard of one losing suction and coming off, since I put them in a few months ago. Nothing is firefighter proof, but we have been pretty happy with these. The suction cup would not hold on the brushed aluminum, hence using the discs, FYI.

3. tritan

tritan Newbie
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    MI
    that is what I was wondering for the suction cup installation if it would stick to the metal of the console. Have have installed 4 garmin ones and 2 have gotten bumped or lost suction . I found the gps dangling during truck checks. I am thinking the screw down one might be a sure bet but for the price going to order the suction cup kit and see if I can get it to work first.
    thanks. I was looking and the goose neck could be mounted near the bottom of the console and then bent in position but worried about vibration with those mounts with the length of them.

4. droidx2010

droidx2010 Member
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Instead of having to wait for it to be shipped (or pay for 1 day shipping), has anyone had any experience with the Xentris car mount from Best Buy? Looks like the same sort of design, just doesn't have the rave reviews like the Arkon does. I've only seen one other person using it for a droid x on the forums and wanted to ask directly. I may just end up paying for the over night so I can have it in time for my upcoming trip...

Xentris Wireless - Vehicle Windshield Mount for Mobile Devices - Black - 60-1941-01-BB

5. tritan

tritan Newbie
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    MI
    alright you all talked me into the 14.95 kit. Got it on order. will do a follow up.

6. supersales5

supersales5 Newbie
    None

Aug 18, 2010
    I got mine over the weekend. I used it the first time yesterday. I love it so far. I have it working with my garmin bean bag. I can use my droid x or my itouch :)

7. tritan

tritan Newbie
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    MI
    My order shipped how to have it next week. I will post pics.

8. meanstreak

meanstreak Newbie
    None

Aug 14, 2010
    My turn by turn works with the Motorola T505 Bluetooth speaker and also transmits through the FM radio

9. jjbjr55

jjbjr55 Lurker
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    I have a Ford with Sync and when I change the audio input to Bluetooth audio on my stero, I can listen to the radio and still have the nav instructions override that and announce via the car's speakers.

10. Napalm

Napalm Android Expert

Jul 28, 2010
    Aircraft Engineer
    Memphis, TN
    I bought one of these back in June thanks to twisters comments.

I ended up turing my around so the flat of the phone, is flat against the backing. Don't really muffle the speaker to me. Infact I think It might help direct it.

Eitherway, to make that work with a power cord you have to switch the direction of the grip arms. IE turns the notches the other way so you have room for the cord.

I took it apart in 5 minutes, milled so plastic with a dremel, and bickety bam. I have car mount, that also turns the DX is to a plugged in HD dash mounted cam corder/camera

I will make a note to post up pics.

11. mortymouse

mortymouse Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    I just bought two of these for our Droid Xs to review. Hopefully things work out well, they are in the mail on the way.

12. B360155

B360155 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 13, 2011
    North Richland Hills, TX
    Here's a few pictures of how I use my Mega Grip. I purchased a pack of small round neo magnets from a Michael's crafts store and super glued one onto the Arkon as shown in the picture of the mount by itself. Make sure you get the polarity correct before gluing. One side is for the car dock, the other will open your home media dock screen. Then I put the DX into the dock as shown with the camera lens side resting on the feet. As shown in the middle picture, this actually kind of levels out the phone because you have the hump from camera lens on one end and the magnet on the other end. By inserting the phone in this manner into the dock, you have ample room to insert the micro usb charger cord and the phone speaker is clear from the Mega Grip. In the car, I usually use the phone in landscape mode, but even though the phone is inserted upside down into the Mega Grip, the arms when squeezed tightly, still have enough grip to hold the phone securely and it won't fall out. Love the Arkon...I purchased a bicycle handlebar mount as well. I also do have the Motorola T505 bluetooth/FM transmitter and highly recommend that accesssory as well.

Attached Files: