• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Review of Bowers & Wilkins B&W C5 Series 2 in-ear premium headphones w/lots of pics!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a review of Bowers & Wilkins B&W C5 Series 2 (new 2014 version) in-ear premium headphones with in-line remote. Bowers & Wilkins C5 Headphones, C5 In-ear headphones, C5 earphones - Bowers & Wilkins | B&W

Often after reviewing full size headphones people ask me if I can recommend something with a similar sound signature in a scaled down in-ear design. Some look at over-ear headphones as more appropriate for indoor listening, while on-ear makes a nice transition into a portable world, but you still have to deal with a headband and associated clamping force. That's where in-ear comes in, but in a lot of the cases they can't recapture the same sound magic of a larger full size driver tuning unless you are dealing with expensive multi-driver IEMs to tackle different parts of the spectrum separated by crossover. And even with those, including hybrids with a mix of dynamic and BA drivers, it's still a hit or a miss. With a new B&W C5 Series 2 in-ear headphones release - it's a HIT that captures the essence of P5 and P7 tuning and puts a number of other headphones that cost 2x-3x as much to shame. Here is what I found.

After reviewing B&W P5 and P7 headphones, you are no longer surprised by high quality of "formal attire" packaging C5 arrived in, but nevertheless - it's still a rewarding unboxing experience. Just like with any of their other models, you are presented with a high res image on the front and a comprehensive description on the back, including design details of the internal components. Opening magnetic flap cover reveals C5 under the plastic display with a description of "secure loop" functionality inside of the flap cover (more about it later). Out of the box, you get a product manual including a separate instruction card for the "secure loop" fitment. Also, you get 4 sets of custom eartips and a very unique suede half-moon shaped headphone case. B&W always tries to stand out from the crowd with their unique headphone cases, some of which are a bit over the top. This particular case is actually not bad.

Design of the earpiece shell is all metal, and has a nice weight to it though doesn't feel too heavy. Actually the design is quite unique. First of all, the back of the shell has what appears to be a very fine mesh cover with a solid feel without any flex. Underneath of it is a micro-porous filter responsible for a wide airy sound with a very impressive soundstage - definitely among the best I heard from in-ear design. But unlike "open back" headphones, there is no sound leakage. As a matter of fact, with a right selection of eartips, these have an excellent passive noise isolation. I'm still scratching my head how they were able to accomplish this with such a one-way filter. Still, this is not a true star of this design, but "secure loop" is!

The cable which comes out of the shell goes into a pre-shaped "memory" loop which wraps around and goes through a groove on the side of the shell. By pulling/pushing on the loop you can change its diameter to adjust for a comfortable fitment around ear's inner rim. B&W refers to this as infinite loop adjustment since there is no click action, it just slides and stays in place. It's sort of an alternative to a wing stabilizers used in sports IEMs. This "secure loop" is very effective and quite comfortable, but I would NOT recommend adjusting with headphones inside of your ear because you will get your skin pinched! There is also a way to release a small tab at the end of memory wire which allows for the loop to come out of the groove, thus being able to use C5 without loop-stabilizer. You can actually use it with a "memory wire" behind the ear but have to swap L/R sides; and speaking of which you do get a clear L/R marking on each earpiece.

With memory wire shielding being an extended strain relief, next is the actual cable which is round and soft. It is a little bit thinner prior to a short y-splitter and becomes thicker going down to a straight slim gold plated headphone jack connector with a great strain relief. The left side of the wire also has an in-line remote/mic. Though meant to be used with iOS devices, multi-function button in the middle is fully compatible with most of the common Android phones from Samsung, HTC, LG, and Sony. With a single click you can Play/Pause/Call (to control music playback as well as to pick up phone calls), with a double click you skip next, with a triple click you skip prev, and long press starts Google NOW. Volume control is specific to iOS devices only.

I started my review with a bold statement about C5 capturing the essence of P5 and P7 headphones, so you can definitely prepare yourself for a bass enhanced sound signature. C5 Series 2 definitely has a resemblance to P5 Series 2, which is rare for IEM, but C5 takes it a step further with a more balanced sound and a more upfront upper mids and a wider soundstage and a better treble extension, pushing it closer into P7 territory. As a matter of fact, I found C5 upper mids/treble to sound more natural and less colored in comparison to P7. One thing I still can't get over is how much C5 feels like a dual dynamic driver due to it's fine-tuning and a balance between the bass and the high frequency, something that is not easy to accomplish with a single dynamic driver design used in C5.

The sound signature of C5 Series 2 is definitely balanced with an enhanced bass. The sound itself is very dynamic and has great layering and separation. Low end has an analog quality bass with a deep smooth sub-bass texture and punchy fast mid-bass. Bass is tight and very well controlled without spilling into lower mids; it only comes to play when being called for. Upper mids are very clear and detailed, have a perfect balance between brightness and warmth, very lush, organic, and with a relatively (to my ears) accurate vocal tonality. Treble is well extended, very smooth, and without a hint of sibilance or harshness. Soundstage is wide and deep with a feeling of airiness and nearly a 3D imaging. I also found these to be quite forgiving with lower quality recording, and in general very efficient without a need for amping. Furthermore, I didn't sense any microphonics/cable noise.

Overall, I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record with every review saying "this is a best pair of headphones I heard so far". There is a factor of new-toy-syndrome which sometime clouds our judgment, or a brain burn-in when you listen for awhile to the same pair of headphones until they grow on you. After a free-air burn in for about 20-25 hrs (strongly recommend for any dynamic driver), I already knew I'm looking at something special, and I took my time to listen and to compare C5 Series 2 (don't have any previous experience with original C5) to my other headphones with enhanced bass signatures. And every time I was coming back to C5 where it had the most dynamic sound, the most analog quality of low end, and among the most detailed and organic upper mids/treble for a dynamic driver. In all seriousness, if B&W will tune down their bass closer to neutral level - you will be looking at one fine pair of smooth reference IEMs. Yes, it has a big fun bass, but it's done very tastefully and tuned to stay in balance with the rest of the spectrum. These definitely get my high recommendation!

Here are the pictures.

bampw_c5-01_zps69ec3325.jpg

bampw_c5-02_zps9c4682a3.jpg

bampw_c5-03_zpse32f34bd.jpg

bampw_c5-04_zpse186683b.jpg

bampw_c5-05_zpsb96b5bba.jpg

bampw_c5-06_zps3211202a.jpg

bampw_c5-07_zpsf09e770d.jpg

bampw_c5-08_zps025950e7.jpg

bampw_c5-09_zpsf7c42e34.jpg

bampw_c5-10_zpsfd33d9d7.jpg

bampw_c5-11_zps29df61ed.jpg

bampw_c5-12_zps69d05b82.jpg

bampw_c5-13_zps1145911b.jpg

bampw_c5-14_zps6d891b9c.jpg

bampw_c5-15_zps7c9c9bf1.jpg

bampw_c5-16_zps1274b052.jpg

bampw_c5-17_zps844911ee.jpg

bampw_c5-18_zpsf48a0bd4.jpg

bampw_c5-19_zpsf332b662.jpg

bampw_c5-20_zps90ddccb0.jpg

bampw_c5-21_zps3bc2ce7b.jpg

bampw_c5-22_zpsf5b861df.jpg

bampw_c5-23_zpsd10a90fa.jpg

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones