• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Review of DX portable wifi repeater w/lots of pics!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a mini review of DX original portable wifi repeater/router. DX Original Portable 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps Wireless Wi-Fi Router / Repeater - White (EU Plug) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Recently I was looking to extend a wireless coverage at home to make sure I get a strong signal throughout a house. As most of you can relate, smartphone bandwidth cost money unless you have unlimited plan, so we all trying to use wifi connection as much as we can. To be honest, I wasn't too familiar with a concept of wireless repeater so this devices turned out to be not exactly what I was looking for, but it's still a great accessory at a very low price of $20, and a number of you might find it very useful. That is why I decided to write a mini review.

Typically routers are bulky and take some space. This particular model, sold as an original design on dx.com, is very compact and simply plugs into your wall outlet. As you can see, the one I got actually had EU plug, but I believe soon dx will offer a version with US plug, or you can use a simple converter like the one I used in my review. There are two ways to use it. Either hook it out to your internet provider box (like a cable or FioS modem) with Ethernet cable and use it as standalone wireless router, or connect it wireless as a repeater to your existing wireless router. The only catch is when used as a repeater you gotta specify a different SSID. That's what I didn't realized before thinking I can set it up with a same ssid to hand-over connection as I'm walking away from original wireless router. Instead, if you are in a remote part of your house, or maybe in the backyard or in the garage where you get hardly any bars on your connection - you can use this repeater to extend your wireless range but you will have to login to it separately. It's just a matter of selecting this router from a list of available wireless devices and clicking to connect.

The product page on dx.com has a link to PDF manual which is very detailed and easy to follow. You can always check it out before deciding if this gadget is for you. Also it's control software, I'm including screen shots, is easy to follow and to setup as a repeater or a router. So if you are struggling with a wireless coverage inside or outside of your house, this is a great alternative to fix that.

Here are the pictures.

dx_repeater_01_zpsa6559be7.jpg

dx_repeater_02_zps200d4e01.jpg

dx_repeater_03_zpse5fb8c79.jpg

dx_repeater_04_zpsbd9ad068.jpg

dx_repeater_05_zpsd331b0f2.jpg

dx_repeater_06_zps0767731e.jpg

dx_repeater_07_zpsa7ec90e3.jpg

dx_repeater_08_zps6d792eaa.jpg

dx_repeater_09_zps7b76bac6.jpg

dx_repeater_10_zps36f703aa.jpg

dx_repeater_11_zpsc297aa4b.jpg

dx_repeater_12_zpse86f381a.jpg

dx_repeater_setup-01_zps21ec1de2.jpg

dx_repeater_setup-02_zpsc0e6aeee.jpg

dx_repeater_setup-03_zpscf0a441e.jpg

dx_repeater_setup-04_zps6fd9b93a.jpg

dx_repeater_setup-05_zps9b71e414.jpg

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones