• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Review of FiiO Q1 headphone amp and DAC (Android) w/lots of pics!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a Review of FiiO Q1 portable DAC and headphone amplifier. http://www.fiio.net/en/products/44 , available on amazon now: http://amzn.to/2dWMrSZ

FiiO never ceases to… surprise me! Some of their upcoming products, like flagship android based X7 dap and Q5 dac/amp, has been well known ahead of the release, while others like Q1 popped out of nowhere. One thing for sure, their product portfolio is constantly expanding and they always compliment their flagship models with entree level budget offerings. And that’s where I figured Q1 going to fit right in, but ended up being pleasantly surprised once I got it in my hands. FiiO is constantly pushing the “budget” envelope, so let’s find out what you can get for under $70 to satisfy your broad audio needs.

Arrived in a flat square box, common with their other portable amps and the size of a few stacked CD jewel cases, you are greeted with a high res glossy image of Q1 flask-top inside of a "vinyl record" circle. If you think E11k resembled a flask shape, Q1 almost looks like one! Out of the box you will find a quality packaging with secure foam lining that does a good job protecting Q1 from every side while also surrounded by a separate box and an envelope with accessories.

Unboxing.

fiio_q1-01_zpslaxsjeev.jpg

fiio_q1-02_zpsqoxvc9ta.jpg

fiio_q1-03_zpsizx7ezoc.jpg

I guess first surprise was when I got this little guy in my hands. Measuring only 97 mm x 56 mm x 13 mm it was a size of a slim deck of cards, very similar to a footprint of E11k (now renamed to A3) and X3ii (though the dap is a little bit thicker), and it felt very solid yet lightweight at only 100g (which btw includes internal battery). I guess I shouldn’t be surprised with accessories since FiiO usually includes plenty, but they managed to raise my eyebrows this time. Yes, you are getting a detailed manual, a high quality usb to micro-usb charging cable, and a pair of rubber bands to secure Q1 to your DAP or a smartphone. In addition to that they also introduced two new accessories, or at least something I haven't seen with any other FiiO product I reviewed in the past.

fiio_q1-04_zpstr7gg9vv.jpg

First one is a new 3.5mm short audio interconnect, a typical 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable to connect to HO or LO of your source, but this one was only 1.5” in length and with right angle connectors. I wasn’t totally shocked about it since I already have JDS Labs short interconnect of a similar length, but the one from FiiO had a better quality. The problem with JDS labs interconnect is a bit flimsy cable while here you have a beefy flexible short noodle cable with a decent strain relief. Now you don’t need to have an extra wire loop sticking out if you choose to use Q1 as your portable amp. I hope FiiO can sell these separately as an accessory; this little cable is really that good.

fiio_q1-05_zpseggss6k6.jpg

fiio_q1-19_zpsxkap6ll8.jpg

Next, I found two semi-transparent grippy (not sticky) frosted finish silicone pads with a stamped FiiO logo name. Again, for those who are familiar with E11k slightly convex body surface (and Q1 has the same) or know the "rubbing" pain when stacking up a metal surface of the DAP on top of a metal surface of the Amp – it's uneven and you either need to use stick-on rubber feet or to keep the DAP in a silicone skin for some padding in between. Here, you just slide in one of these little pads and problem is solved. It’s a very simple and effective solution.

fiio_q1-06_zpszvqdwqu2.jpg

fiio_q1-07_zpssmjfyvtt.jpg

fiio_q1-18_zps1hd9v10i.jpg

Now, on to a “flask” design. With a slightly convex rounded body surface and a volume knob on the top in the middle surrounded by a guard - Q1 closely resembles a small flask. The body of this dac/amp has a solid aluminum shell, very sturdy, no flex, and a great EMI isolation. The top and the bottom looks like a brushed aluminum, but it feels like plastic which I'm pretty sure it is.

Starting from the top, you have 3.5mm HO gold plated port, LED indicator (blue - power on and running off battery, red - charging, green - charging complete, blinking red - low battery, purple - charging with power on when used as usb dac), Volume knob (smooth operation with good resistance and numbered position), and Bass boost switch. You turn the power on by twisting the volume knob from 0 position thus don't have to worry about blowing off your ears because of the volume setting from a previous pair of headphones if you have to deal with a separate power switch. The only problem here, Bass boost switch has on/off label inside of a small switch cavity which is very hard to read.

At the bottom, you have 2 small philips screws at the corners holding assembly together, Charge switch (to allow charging option while connected to laptop), micro-usb port for charging and usb DAC data input, Gain switch for Low/High, Line In/Out 3.5mm gold plated port. When used as a portable amp, this port is Line In, but when used as usb dac - this port becomes Line Out. Unfortunately, Gain and Charge slider switches also have their values stamped inside of the switch cavity which is hard to read. I just wish Bass (on/off), Charge (on/off), and Gain (high/low) had a more clear marking, maybe stamped outside.

Design.

fiio_q1-08_zpspwsqa1x3.jpg

fiio_q1-09_zpstrnzrmjg.jpg

fiio_q1-10_zpshvbn2egq.jpg

fiio_q1-11_zps2q8brrkv.jpg

fiio_q1-12_zpsiwk43fwu.jpg

fiio_q1-13_zpskhnqyxd4.jpg

fiio_q1-14_zpsnbvblvvq.jpg

fiio_q1-15_zpsqimwme3c.jpg

fiio_q1-16_zpsevmqcys3.jpg

I usually don't spend too much time on Spec numbers, but when you read >30h of playtime from its 1400 mAh battery - that will get your attention right away! 30h is noted as the best case scenario at a "normal" volume level which is valid for both low and high gains!!! I do need to verify and to compare battery life when used as amp vs dac/amp, but so far I only charged Q1 once and still using it for a week. FiiO suggests that when used as USB DAC, you should expect at least 15h of playback which is fantastic, and I will update my review with final measurement numbers after more charge cycles.

The max power rating of Q1 is >190 mW at 32 ohms which is pretty good for a little Amp, but I noticed right away in low gain output was really underpowered. Once FiiO released the official Q1 spec, I quickly realized the reason. Gain AUX In: -7dB/4.5dB, and USB In: -3.5dB/8dB. Basically in low gain when you use Q1 as pure amp (AUX In) or DAC (USB In) it's more appropriate for sensitive IEMs where you want to keep the power low. With most of my IEMs, I found low gain setting to be useless, but once switched to high gain you get a significant improvement!

After hours of listening, I found Q1 to have a neutral-warmish signature with a good transparency, a nice layering/separation, and a smooth organic tonality with a decent retrieval of details. It's not going to blow your socks off, but it was surprisingly good, down to a black background. As a matter of fact, I found Q1 to be more neutral and a touch more detailed in comparison to E11k which sounds a little bit warmer to my ears. Going up to E12A, you will find Q1 amp section slightly inferior where E12A is a little more transparent and more detailed, but Q1 has an obvious advantage of additional DAC functionality. One particular pair up I found to be quite good was with X3ii (from LO) - besides a perfect footprint match, I found an improvement in retrieval of details, like a very faint veil was lifted off, and as a bonus you get to extend X3ii battery life by using an external amp with a built-in power supply.

fiio_q1-17_zpslwvglf6r.jpg

fiio_q1-22_zps8neafiau.jpg

Paired up with a lot of my headphones, I found the best synergy with those that have bright sound signature since Q1 was able to smooth out harsh peaks and in some cases a bass boost added more body to a sound. In more brief details, I found Q1 to drive everything I threw at it with a convincing authority, especially in high gain. There was an excellent pair up with Audeze EL-8C (adds a nice body with a bass boost) and PM-3 sounds smooth and detailed, MSR7 has no harsh peaks and sounds smooth over the treble range, and even R70x (470 ohm impedance) is driven with plenty of power but I had to push Q1 nearly to the max of volume on high gain, while VE ZEN (300 ohm) had no issues and still had some headroom left. I found no hissing with sensitive CIEMs, like Inearz P650 – yielding a very detailed sound, W60 had an excellent drive (powerful, no hissing, great level of details), and the same with DN2kJ with no hissing, excellent detailed sound which scaled up with more organic body when I switched bass boost on.

Last edited:
Besides being able to use it as a portable headphone amplifier with analog input, Q1 has a DAC to accept digital input for USB DAC functionality. Used as USB DAC connected to my laptop, it functions as an external usb sound card and has a rather impressive sound improvement over my laptop built in HO output. In addition to a sound improvement, I was also able to drive all of my headphones with authority (regardless of their drive type), and I was able to charge Q1 while using it connected to my laptop. Actually charging is optional since you can turn it off with CHG switch, this way there are no discrepancies when using USB OTG cable with your smartphone.

fiio_q1-23_zpswmsmpeql.jpg

Of course, I saved the Best for last - pair up with a smartphone! As most of you are aware, Android has a very poor support of usb audio interface, and even with Android 5.0 not all the devices are supported. Luckily, there are a few audio apps that implement their own usb audio drivers to allow access to most of the USB DACs, including Q1. One of these applications is USB Audio Player Pro, a paid app ($7.99, with a limited free demo), while the other one is a totally free app with an equal functionality - HibyMusic (highly recommend it!). Of course, the disadvantage is that you can't run your native audio/video streaming apps or some other 3rd party apps that don't support usb audio driver to access Q1, but for a pure audio playback of your lossless audio files HibyMusic is all that you need with Q1.

Pair up with my Note 4 was Epic! Typically, portable amplifiers have an added value of supporting higher impedance inefficient headphones, but you have to deal with a double amping issue of amplifying noisy HO of your smartphone due to lack of Line Out. With USB DAC you are bypassing internal amp and sending a digital stream to process audio externally with Q1 DAC which doesn't drain your phones battery. There are not too many quality self-powered USB DACs under $100, while here you have one for under $70. And a sound improvement was noticeable with a better layering and separation of instruments and vocals, tighter bass, and overall cleaner, more detailed and dynamic presentation.

Pair up with Note 4 (using HibyMusic app and Oppo PM-3 headphones w/Linum cable, and USB OTG micro-usb to micro-usb right angled cable from eBay)

fiio_q1-20_zpsylbz0fdv.jpg

fiio_q1-21_zpsysnyzhie.jpg

Conclusion.

I started my review with a statement of "FiiO never ceases to surprise me", and Q1 is not an exception in this respect. While there are plenty of portable headphone amplifier, once you start narrowing it down to sub $100 range, not too many choices are left with such a complete multi-functionality that could be used as standalone amp or usb dac with your laptop/PC, and even usb dac with your smartphone. It looks fantastic with a nice build quality and a compact “flask” design, it comes with a set of excellent accessories, it has plenty of power in High gain to drive up to 300 ohm with authority, it has a convincing bass boost that adds body to analytical/bright headphones, and you get up to 30 hours of playback so you can extend battery life of devices you pair it up with. But the discovery of Android compatibility, using specific apps that support usb audio driver, just raised its value to a whole new level. For the reason that you have to use special apps, FiiO doesn't advertise this functionality like it has with E18 and doesn’t even include USB OTG cable, but I confirmed it in my testing and it's a pleasure to use with my Note 4 without draining my phone's battery. For under $70 this one is no-brainer!

Reactions: sheesh902
Upvote 0
I downloaded HiByMusic, based on this review, and it is excellent, so thanks for that. But, HiByMusic says "The peripherals do not support sampling rates" when I hook up my Q1 to my Galaxy S5 using an OTG micro USB cable. Contrary to what the instructions say, I never got any notification that either my phone or my computer recognized it as a new USB device when I connected it to those devices. Am I missing something, or do I have a defective sample?

Upvote 0
I downloaded HiByMusic, based on this review, and it is excellent, so thanks for that. But, HiByMusic says "The peripherals do not support sampling rates" when I hook up my Q1 to my Galaxy S5 using an OTG micro USB cable. Contrary to what the instructions say, I never got any notification that either my phone or my computer recognized it as a new USB device when I connected it to those devices. Am I missing something, or do I have a defective sample?

It's connected and audio is playing OK with headphones connected to Q1? What files are you playing, mp3s or flac or something else? As long as you can hear the audio, it means that pair up was ok. With Q1, I got a number of people reporting back to me their phone plays audio with q1 from any app, and some reporting only Hiby plays audio (Hiby uses its own driver, bypassing Android). Thus, I wouldn't worry too much if you didn't get a notification as long as you hear the audio playback.

Upvote 0
It's connected and audio is playing OK with headphones connected to Q1? What files are you playing, mp3s or flac or something else? As long as you can hear the audio, it means that pair up was ok. With Q1, I got a number of people reporting back to me their phone plays audio with q1 from any app, and some reporting only Hiby plays audio (Hiby uses its own driver, bypassing Android). Thus, I wouldn't worry too much if you didn't get a notification as long as you hear the audio playback.
Yes, it plays, but the phone also plays everything I throw at it, including 96/24 FLAC files, without the Q1. (I am also able to play my HD FLAC files with VLC audio player, with or without the Q1, but VLC's file handling is poor.) So, as far as I can tell, the Q1 is only operating as an amp, which I don't really care about. I bought it for the superior DAC, and that doesn't seem to be working. The amp is not worth $70 to me, especially since I have to max out the volume on the phone in order for the amp to work. That means it's amplifying noise, too.

HibyMusic has an Advanced settings tab, on which one of the options says SRC, which I take to mean Source. When I click that option, I'm given a screen that has a list of file resolutions. 44100 (standard CD resolution) is the only one that doesn't have the 'peripheral does not support sampling rate' message, although it lists rates up to 192000. To me, that means either Hiby doesn't see the Q1 properly (which could be a driver issue), or the Q1 isn't doing what it's supposed to.

The S5 is a big phone. With its case, it's larger than I'd like. With the Q1 strapped to it, it's so bulky it's bordering on ridiculous, so it better do what it's advertised to do. I emailed FIIO about it. If they respond with anything worth passing on, I'll let you know. There may be something I'm doing wrong. Otherwise, I'm sending it back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones