• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Review of Noontec Rio S in-ear headphones with in-line remote w/lots of pics!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a Review of Noontec Rio S in-ear headphones with in-line remote. http://noontec.com/html/us/article_read_520.html, available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q8I0ELS/?tag=vectron00-20

Maybe I was a bit skeptical the first time I had a chance to review Noontec headphones, but after testing their Zoro II HD and Hammo S - they didn't have to ask me twice when I was approached to look into their latest in-ear Rio S headphones! I'm surprised Noontec is not as well known as some other more common "household" headphone names. So far everything I have tested from Noontec had a consistent quality, and they don't just look good but also sound great. Rio S is not an exception, and I would like to share with you more about what I found.

Arrived in a premium packaging, my only comment about the cover art is a picture of the guy with headphones. Similar to Hammo S where they used a male model, I assume the Noontec wants to make a point these headphones are "designed in Italy", thus have a sense of fashion. But in my opinion, using people wearing their headphones, especially small in-ear monitors, takes away the focus from the product. I would prefer to have just a picture of Rio S on the cover, similar to how they did with Zoro II HD. The back of the packaging has images of all 4 available colors, and the front has a magnetic flip cover with a detailed description of the design and the functionality on the inside.

Unboxing.

noontec_rios-01_zpsllffa6qi.jpg

noontec_rios-02_zpsqdaocwpi.jpg

noontec_rios-03_zpsiavfb6hg.jpg

Out of the box you will find a pair of Rio S headphones, a nice compact zippered case, and 4 pairs of hybrid silicon eartips. It's always nice to see a hard shell case included with headphones instead of a flimsy pouch. Regarding silicone tips, I assume it should be in 4 different sizes corresponding to L/M/S/XS, though I noticed that both of my small tips were nearly identical in size. Either way, these are higher quality eartips and the core is colored according to the color of headphones - a perfect match. I'm just guessing that other Rio S headphone colors probably come with matching eartips. Also, shirt clip was included.

Accessories.

noontec_rios-04_zpsfital2gg.jpg

noontec_rios-05_zpsxv2gyzqr.jpg

noontec_rios-06_zpsrvajsakz.jpg

Now, on to a design to check out if they stand up to "fashion hi-fi" label. Starting with a headphone plug you will find a gold plated connector with a slim plastic housing and a nice strain relief. The cable is flat, noodle style, with a slightly "sticky" rubbery texture. Flat cable usually helps with cable management to keep it tangle free and easy to wrap for storage, and also helps with microphonics to reduce the noise of cable rubbing against your cloth. Shirt clip can assist in that as well, though I rarely see anybody use a shirt clip nowadays. Y-cable splitter is short and flat, matching the overall shape of the cable, and it doesn't have any strain relief which would have been a good idea on the common side of the cable. On the splitter side I was surprised to find a chin-slider, not really necessary with a cable that has in-line remote because you can't slide it all the way up, but in this case a chin-slider (moved slightly up) works like a strain relief, helping to create a bigger bend radius.

The right side of the cable has in-line remote with a single multi-function button and a mic pinhole on the opposite side. In-line remote shape flows nicely with the rest of the design, following slim/flat/rectangular theme. It was a good idea to include a single button universal remote which should work with majority of Android phones and iPhone (don't have iPhone to test, through). I had no issues using it with my Galaxy S5 and Note 4, and was able to control playback with single click Play/Pause and Call, and track skipping with multi-clicks, and starting Google Now with long press. Using built in mic during phone calls yielded excellent results with crystal clear sound quality.

Moving up the cable closer to earpieces, you will find metal accent buckle with Rio logo. It's just a "fashion" detail without adding too much distraction or extra weight, a nice touch. Attached to earpieces, cable goes through a plastic strain relief sleeve which has L/R marking on the inner side to distinguish otherwise symmetrical earpiece design. Personally, I'm using in-line remote side to ID the Right earpiece so there is no need to even look at the marking. The actual shape of the shell has nice ergonomics with a nearly flush design that doesn't stick out of your ears and the inner part that comfortable fits inside of your ear canal without going too deep. There is an air-vent pinhole at the bottom of the nozzle and a nice logo plate on the back. I do have to mention that from a distance someone could mistake them for a new "beats" in-ears, but closer look clears it up - they definitely have a distinct design. Also, I was able to wear these wire down and wire up, no difference in sound quality, but wire up made a fitment more secure especially when you use them during exercising.

Design.

noontec_rios-07_zpsocopwfqg.jpg

noontec_rios-08_zpsqsr1njra.jpg

noontec_rios-09_zpsjiekx3vh.jpg

noontec_rios-10_zpskjv6gifp.jpg

noontec_rios-11_zpskj8xocdp.jpg

noontec_rios-12_zpsqi1fo4zg.jpg

noontec_rios-13_zpstxewfges.jpg

noontec_rios-14_zpsrn0jshxp.jpg

noontec_rios-15_zpsrjrsxz4q.jpg

noontec_rios-16_zpsqkh7ju9y.jpg

noontec_rios-17_zpshnbu2d3t.jpg

Fitment.

noontec_rios-18_zpsxmoujvmu.jpg

noontec_rios-19_zpsjjmqqtt1.jpg

When it comes to a sound tuning, Noontec stayed on a safer side without too much of aggressive bass or too much of analytical harsh brightness. Rio S has a very balanced smooth detailed sound signature. Just a perfect tuning to work with any music style. Sound is very clean, not too bright or too muddy, great for extended listening without worrying about ear fatigue. Bass has a great quality, rather than boosted quantity. Soundstage has an intimate feeling with an average depth and width, and it sounds good from any source without a need for an amp or EQ.

In more details, low end has more focus on mid bass punch, but still extends down to sub-bass, though it doesn't go too deep. Mid bass is not necessary very fast, but it's still got a nice speed, just not a very sharp attack. There is a little bit of bleed into lower mids, but it's not too bad since mids are already smooth and warm. Lower mids have a nice warmth that adds to organic body of the sound, upper mids are very clean and clear, and at the same time smooth without any harsh peaks. Treble extension is excellent with a great definition and clarity without even a hint of sibilance.

In comparison to some other IEMs, here is what I found.

RioS vs VSD3S - VSD3S has a lot more sub-bass, mid-bass punch is a little faster, mids are very similar to VSD3S, though RioS is a little smoother, also VSD3S treble doesn't extend as far as in RioS. Overall, VSD3S is bassier while Rio is more balanced and cleaner.

RioS vs IM50 - IM50 mid-bass has more impact, lower mids are a bit thinner, and upper mids are a little more upfront, treble doesn't extend as much. IM50 sound has more bass and mids have more upfront presentation while RioS is more neutral/balanced, in comparison, with a smoother overall sound.

RioS vs KC06A - KC06A has a stronger mid-bass punch, thinner lower mids, harsher upper mids, and a similar treble extension. Once again, RioS has an advantage with a smoother and more balanced sound without too much of pounding bass or harsh upper mids/treble.

RioS vs E80 - A much better match in this case. E80 has a little less sub-bass, a bit thinner lower mids, more detailed upper mids (much better retrieval of details) and a similar treble extension/quality. RioS is a little warmer and smoother in comparison, while E80 is leaner and more detailed.

Summary.

There are so many headphone manufacturers who focus on fashionable design with flashy colors and exotic earpiece shapes (often, not even comfortable to wear). But when you start listening to these headphones, you quickly realize they are using generic off-the-shelf drivers that doesn't sound too good. Sound tuning is a very important part of the design, and Noontec own Votrik driver delivers a true hi-fi performance. It has a specific sound signature that works with any music style and a pleasure to listen to for an extended time period. Combined with a great ergonomics of comfortable fitment, it's also a pleasure to use for an extended time period, either if you are relaxing at home or exercising at the gym. If you get a chance, definitely check them up - for sure, they sound as good as they look!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones