• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Review of Sandisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card w/lots of pics!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a review of Sandisk Ultra 128GB microSDHC UHS-I card with adapter (SDSDQUA-128G-G46A). SanDisk Ultra microSDHC and microSDXC UHS-I Cards - Amazon link: Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 128 GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter (SDSDQUA-128G-G46A): Computers & Accessories

Sandisk announcement of the first 128GB micro SD took internet by storm. Our phones evolved into multimedia powerhouses with 5.5"-6" displays, desktop grade processing power, OTG support for external peripheral accessories, powerful cameras, and more. The only thing was missing a super high capacity internal removable storage at an affordable price. 128GB micro SD announcement finally filled that gap, supported by amazon current sale of $119 shipped, but the question still remained if some of the older smartphones will be able to handle/recognize this capacity. In the last few week there has been a lot of discussions in our Note 2 section about compatibility with this card considering original Note 2 spec was calling for support of up to 64GB only. To put everyone's mind to rest, I was able to get a review sample of Ultra 128GB card directly from Sandisk and tested it on my Note 2.

Now, about the card itself. Its their Ultra edition with a read speeds of up 30MB/s and Class 10 performance. As part of Ultra edition it's considered to be waterproof, temperature-proof, x-ray-proof, magnet-proof, and also shockproof. In addition to a flash card itself, it also includes SD adapter for compatibility with digital cameras and also direct reading on laptops/PCs support SD card. I took a number of close up pictures in my review and provided a direct Amazon link for a sole purpose to be careful when placing an order and verifying your card when you receive it. A lot of the people don't realize when buying from Amazon you are dealing with multiple sellers. Last year when I purchased my 32GB Sandisk card from amazon and it stopped working after about 4-5 months, I contacted Sandisk support and was asked to provide a picture from the back of the card only to learn that I've purchased a fake one (there was no marking on the back). Sandisk still handled my RMA and sent me replacement (excellent tech support!!!). Therefore, I strongly encourage to pay attention before clicking "Add to cart" button to verify who is the actual seller, and try to buy from Amazon directly.

Ok, since I got the official intro out of the way, here comes the verdict: IT WORKS with Note 2!!! My Note 2 is all stock, Verizon SCH-I605 version, running stock Android 4.3. I checked the card first with an adapter on my laptop and then mounted it on my Note 2 where it was recognized with a right capacity. I also ran A1 SD Benchmark app (both long and accurate benchmark tests) to verify it with success. As you can see, read/write speed were not quite near 30MB/s, but it's still pretty good. If anybody has other app suggestions or test to run, please let me know.

My opinion? This card takes our multimedia powerhouse Note 2 to the next level!!! Now you don't have to be limited and can store your favorite albums in FLAC audio format, or have a small library of your favorite movies stored permanently, or take more high def videos, and so on. Just always stay up to date with backups. If flash card fails, it will be covered under warranty, but your pictures and videos will be lost forever.

Here are the pictures.

sandisk_ultra_128gb-01_zpsf19cf1de.jpg

sandisk_ultra_128gb-02_zps135bb624.jpg

sandisk_ultra_128gb-03_zps60f2246e.jpg

sandisk_ultra_128gb-04_zps09cb404a.jpg

sandisk_ultra_128gb-05_zpsa1f36af8.jpg

sandisk_ultra_128gb-06_zps4091ee43.jpg

sandisk_ultra_128gb-07_zps253ab17c.jpg

sandisk_ultra_128gb-08_zps4a23e1aa.jpg

sandisk_ultra_128gb-09_zpsc6ad875b.jpg

sandisk_ultra_128gb-10_zps9ca76caf.jpg

sandisk_ultra_128gb-11_zps5d487eb7.jpg

sandisk_ultra_128gb-12_zpse296c3bf.jpg

sandisk_ultra_128gb-13_zps993c37a2.jpg

sandisk_ultra_128gb-14_zpse57e4009.jpg

sandisk_ultra_128gb-15_zps5ba82be8.jpg

OK, now that your done with the pictures and review, when can I expect the card in the mail :p

Great review. ;)

I would also like to see you fill the card up, to see if there are any issues, as you recall Sandisk and the Note II had issues loosing it's contents on larger capacity cards, would like to see if you have any issues.

Upvote 0
OK, now that your done with the pictures and review, when can I expect the card in the mail :p

Great review. ;)

I would also like to see you fill the card up, to see if there are any issues, as you recall Sandisk and the Note II had issues loosing it's contents on larger capacity cards, would like to see if you have any issues.

Yeah, was thinking the same. Actually my wife reminded me about 8GB flash card we had before using in a camera where we filled it up with recorded video clips only to find out later after 4GB everything got corrupted. The only problem this one is 128GB and will take a while. Might just hook up to my laptop and start copying my hard drive lol! Also will run crystal disk mark on my laptop as well, though wish CDM would be available as an app to run on Note 2.

Upvote 0
That is exactly what I would do, fill it up from the pc and see if it holds on the card in your Note for a few days, and then we will see. Mine, I also had a 32 GB TopRam MSDC and had the same issue, so I'm not convinced it was only related to SD. I had lost all my info, I was able to recover 80% back using a SW, but have been hesitant in using anything large then a 8GB, mine you I have since put back the 32 GB back in since updating my Rom, and so far it is still working, but I hold my breath everytime I check, LOL

Upvote 0
That is exactly what I would do, fill it up from the pc and see if it holds on the card in your Note for a few days, and then we will see. Mine, I also had a 32 GB TopRam MSDC and had the same issue, so I'm not convinced it was only related to SD. I had lost all my info, I was able to recover 80% back using a SW, but have been hesitant in using anything large then a 8GB, mine you I have since put back the 32 GB back in since updating my Rom, and so far it is still working, but I hold my breath everytime I check, LOL

Ok, I'm up to 128GB filled to the top. Will report back how its holding on.

Btw, just read it in another post over at accessories section. As you guys/gals might be aware, Best Buy does a full price match of Amazon products. So, never mind BB price tag of $200, you can show them at the checkout a price on Amazon and they should match $119. Of course, can't guarantee they might have it in stock (considering on Amazon its already 4-6 wk waiting), but hopefully you can pay and pick it up later or make them send it to your home.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones