• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Review of Xiaomi Pistons 2 headphones with Android in-line remote w/lots of pics!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a review of Xiaomi Pistons 2 in-ear headphones with a full featured android in-line remote. Amazon.com : New Gold Xiaomi 2nd Piston Earphone Ii Headphone Headset Earbud with Remote & Mic : Electronics (manufacturer website: 小米活塞耳机——小米手机官网(99元听歌神器))

Once again I'm speechless, sitting down with a pair of $24.90 headphones that look and sound better than a number of other popular brand name IEMs that cost 4x-5x that much. How is it possible? For a lot of us who live in US and EU, there is a whole world of great headphone brands from Asia we never even heard of. After reading and participating in a number of discussions on head-fi, I decided to look into much talked about Xiaomi Pistons currently on their 2nd generation release.

I know the price of under $25 sounds ridiculous for anything of a high quality, but you have to trust me - these headphones are simply amazing! I know a lot of you see the name and the model and quickly get on Google to search for the best deals. Here is a thing, when it comes to these particular in-ear headphones, any search will yield a lot of results with fake models. And because those often cost almost as much or a few dollars less than original, it's really hard to find a trusted seller of Pistons. That is a reason I'm providing you Amazon link of a trusted seller who has real Pistons v2 in stock. Be very careful when placing an order even with amazon where you have multiple sellers, and make sure its with Zhengnan'shop. Apparently there used to be other sellers under the same listing which turned out to be fake ones. The one I received came from Zhengnan'shop, I confirmed it to be the real deal!

OK, since I got that explanation out of the way, let's take a closer look at the headphones itself. The small carton box they arrived in turned out to be a one piece design which unfolded with instructions and other info. Unfortunately, everything was in Chinese, but I can certainly appreciate the originality of this design. Once you take the actual box out, you are presented with a gorgeous view of golden in-ear headphones inside of jewelry-like box. When you lift the cover, the first thing you notice is... a smell. I know what you might think, probably a smell of toxic plastic? Absolutely not, you are getting a smell of a chocolate. Yes, I did say "chocolate". There is a lot of thought that went into design of these headphones and their packaging, including one of the most original presentation with a piece of molded rubber insert that houses earphones, inline remote, a plug, a chord which gets wrapped around, and also made out of material with a sweet smell of chocolate. Underneath on the bottom of the box you will find 3 bonus sets of eartips and a really cool shirt clip (a very original design). Once you take the headphones out, you can't help but notice how super lightweight these are and how detailed is their design. Everything from headphone housing to in-line remote (which also serves as cable y-splitter) and 3.5mm connector is made out of lightweight aluminum alloy material with a gold finish and laser etched circular lines. Everything feels solid, durable, and very premium quality. The cord itself is tangle free, and the portion between splitter-remote and 3.5mm plug has a threaded coating which almost looks like a shoelace. The part of the cable from the splitter-remote up to headphones has a durable rubbery coating attached to earpieces with a decent strain relief.

There is no doubt, Pistons have a very luxurious look and feel, but how about the sound quality? Once you put these in your ears, get ready for a very pleasant surprise!!! Featuring a patented beryllium diaphragm, I found these dynamic drivers to cover quite an extended frequency range. The first thing you will notice a rich deep bass which extends quite nicely down to a powerful sub-bass layer while still having a well controlled punchy mid-bass. The selection of a proper eartip size to create the best seal with your earcanal will play a significant role in the amount of bass you will hear. With my selection of medium eartips, I found the bass quantity to be definitely boosted. Not quite at basshead level, but enough to feel it. At the other side of the spectrum, treble was very clear and smooth, hardly any hint of sibilance. Mids were detailed, a bit recessed, but still leveled enough to enjoy vocals. Overall the sound was bright and balanced with a little bit of v-shaped eq, a nice low end enhancement, and in general very airy and smooth. Of course, as great as they sound, it will not replace $500 multi-driver IEMs with a fuller body sound and better separation, but the fact I'm even bringing up a comparison of $25 to $500 in-ear headphones can tell you how highly I think of these. The soundstage was above average thanks to semi-open design with a port on the back of these headphones. Despite that, they actually had a decent passive noise isolation, but as I mentioned above a good seal with a proper eartip is very important to achieve that.

Usually I don't spend too much time talking about in-line remote, but in case of Pistons it deserves a special mentioning. Every pair of headphones I reviewed so far with in-line remote never had a set of volume controls that works with Android phones. Typically you have multi-function button which is universal between android and apple devices, mic for taking calls, and up/down volume for iPhones. Well, Xiaomi is actually a very well known Chinese android smartphone maker, and that is why their headphones were designed specifically for android phones. Though I only tested it with my Galaxy Note 2, the volume control worked perfectly!!!!! Furthermore, multi-function button worked great for play/pause/call with a single click, skip next with a double click, and skip prev with a triple click, and long-press for Google Now. No additional software was necessary, everything worked by default. Also, phone calls were loud and clear.

Overall, I found Xiaomi Pistons 2 to be one of the best value headphones I have tested in a very long time!!! The combination of a sexy design, durable construction, amazing sound quality with a great bass, and full remote control compatibility with android phones makes this a MUST have accessory which gets my high recommendation.

Here are the pictures.

xiaomi_pistons_2-01_zps8d250b4d.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-02_zpsd0099010.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-03_zps9d285b1c.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-04_zps067db5cd.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-05_zpse33c23ff.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-06_zps59c4eda8.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-07_zpsf97bfb16.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-08_zpsbfe72082.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-09_zps5a60c069.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-10_zpsebd9eedd.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-11_zpsfe31dc02.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-12_zpsbf69c6e3.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-13_zps2e366d50.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-14_zps835d2107.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-15_zpsf1f6aad1.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-16_zps553f28ff.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-17_zpsdffe2d9f.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-18_zps9ec4b66d.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-19_zpsc4104267.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-20_zps2bd14507.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-21_zps513b548b.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-22_zps368b8b0e.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-23_zpsb976db01.jpg

xiaomi_pistons_2-24_zpsb63d9b76.jpg

Reactions: mak916
i just received these same IEM's 2 days ago. i am very happy thus far as they do in fact sound great for their price. i use them with my galaxy gs3 and the in line controls work just as they should. mine are the piston 2.0 and are the version right before yours. the version i have are not marked L/R , did not come with a shirt clip and the ear tips are arranged slightly different than yours.

Upvote 0
i just received these same IEM's 2 days ago. i am very happy thus far as they do in fact sound great for their price. i use them with my galaxy gs3 and the in line controls work just as they should. mine are the piston 2.0 and are the version right before yours. the version i have are not marked L/R , did not come with a shirt clip and the ear tips are arranged slightly different than yours.

Yeah, I just found out my version is actually 2.1. Fantastic headphones. Does the volume control works on S3?

Upvote 0
I was reading your review earlier on Amazon, while looking for some headphones, but did not know you were here on this forum. You never know if some of those reviews are real or not. Now that I see you are real, lol, I will definitely be getting these headphones. By the way, what are IEMs?

Upvote 0
I was reading your review earlier on Amazon, while looking for some headphones, but did not know you were here on this forum. You never know if some of those reviews are real or not. Now that I see you are real, lol, I will definitely be getting these headphones. By the way, what are IEMs?

IEM - in-ear monitors, another fancy name for in-ear headphones of a higher quality. There are 3 types of headphones, the earbud type that go in your ear, and full size ones that go on your ear or over your ear. On your ear has earpads that sit on-top of your ear, while over-ear have larger earpads that surround your ear with it resting inside of it (better isolation from outside noise).

Yep, that was my review, but be careful who you buy from on Amazon, gotta go to more buying options to select the zhengnan's store. Pretty much, all Pistons on ebay are fake, and amazon now has a ton of fake ones as well. They don't sound anywhere near as good as the real ones.

Reactions: mak916
Upvote 0
I was just Contacted by Zhengnan'shop with an explanation of what happened with seller name and his listing. Apparently, there was so many FAKE listings added under his original amazon listing, they created a new listing on Amazon where they now sell new Pistons (metal gold housing) and basic cheaper version in white and black. To eliminate the confusion, the original Zhengnan'shop created "zhengnan810401" seller name. The link to that listing is: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L92CU24/ as well as on ebay: New Gold Xiaomi 2nd Piston Earphone Headphone Earbud with Remote Mic | eBay - I put both of the links in my original review. Those are LEGIT version from the same seller.

So, just use those two links above to get the legit Pistons version. I know, it's confusing, but that's the problem where now there are more fake versions floating around internet than a real ones :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones