• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Review] Photon OtterBox Commuter

Bandage

Nov 3, 2010
OtterBox Commuter Review

Just got my OtterBox today, so thought I'd toss out some thoughts for those of you on the fence.

Those of you that aren't familiar with the OtterBox cases check out some info here OtterBox Case Series

Fit: This thing fits so effin nicely! I've tried the Commuter series on a few devices...and this seems to fit more snug than on other phones. The 3D Commuter I had seemed to bunch up ever so slightly. Same with Dell Streak and Evo 4G versions. My Galaxy S phone was pretty snug as well. Seems like they got this one right...cut-out for the mic doesn't look like it'll get blocked over time if the rubber gets loose.

Button overlays: They stick out a bit...which is the norm for Otters. I find them to be pretty handy. The power button especially, as most would agree without a case it can be a bit of a pain to press. Nice that I can stop myself from filing a fingernail on the volume rocker too. Much easier to press than the few other cases I've tried as well.

Dust Flaps: Tight and secure...without being annoying. Easy to open...plenty of room to plug in your cables. Not too stiff. Seems like they'll hold up for awhile. I've had some others that have fallen off way too early in the case life. Noticed the flap over the HDMI / USB ports DOES make the phone wobble a bit when using kickstand. Not a big deal...but might be an issue for some.

Cut-Outs: My only complaint here is with the kickstand cut out...seems a bit too snug. Seems to get caught a tiny bit on the rubber around it as you try to extend the kickstand. Pretty sure it'll straigthen itself out over time tho. Camera cut-out is nuttin special...just a rectangle around the lens and flash. Has cut-outs for the noise cancelling mics on the back as well.

Appearance: LOVE how it doesn't take away from the MoPho's unique look. I've gotten compliments on my phone for how slick it looks with the cut off corners. Yea.it's the little things that count. This isn't a case that hides the look of your phone...it accents the goodness!

General Feel: Not too slick....not too grippy. Slides in and out of pockets just fine. Definitely doesn't feel like I'll drop it. Always a good thing in my book. EDIT 8/11 - Noticing a bit of plastic "Bite" on the sides and bottom. The plastic is hard and a bit sharp. Irritates a bit...perhaps with time it will dull on the seams / edges.

So...in conclusion: I think this is the case I'll stay with for awhile. I've always enjoyed the protection afforded by OtterBox cases...and this should be no different.

Be aware, unless you rip out the insert on the HDMI dock it won't fit. You will have to remove the case for dock use. It does fit just fine in the car dock however. Once rooted, the HDMI dock isn't as useful with the Web Hack available anyways...so no biggie.

100_1445.JPG100_1447.JPG100_1448.JPG

Ok here is my concern...the otterbox is definitely the way I plan on going with my photon.

However after reading some disturbing reviews its the otterbox's screen protectors that worry me.

I heard a lot of their shields do not fit snug and debris can get under the shield and trapped which can lead to screen scratches.

Right now I am leaning toward the commuter but then having invisibleshield or ghost armor added.

Upvote 0
Ok here is my concern...the otterbox is definitely the way I plan on going with my photon.

However after reading some disturbing reviews its the otterbox's screen protectors that worry me.

I heard a lot of their shields do not fit snug and debris can get under the shield and trapped which can lead to screen scratches.

Right now I am leaning toward the commuter but then having invisibleshield or ghost armor added.
Read up on the Gorilla Glass the Photon uses on the screen. With an OtterBox installed, I wouldn't even worry about using a screen shield.

Upvote 0
Bandage, do any plastic parts of the outer case extend through openings in the rubber shell which could contact the phone's body (battery cover or bezel)? I had a Commuter on my EVO 4G and the outer shell had plastic nubs which scratched the phone's bezel slightly. Other than that, it was a pretty good case.

TB...just took the case off, and searched for anything like you describe. Not finding anything along those lines, so will say tentatively No. (until I hear others confirm as well...some cases vary in production.)

Reactions: tbhausen
Upvote 0
My otterbox just arrived from Newegg and I like it a lot! My biggest worry was dropping the phone and now I am not as concerned.

Unfortunately, a small piece of dust got under the provided screen shield but think I might forgo the shield anyway as: 1) the screen is gorilla glass 2) I don't like how the screen shields feel 3) low risk of scratching it especially with the otterbox case

Upvote 0
TB...just took the case off, and searched for anything like you describe. Not finding anything along those lines, so will say tentatively No. (until I hear others confirm as well...some cases vary in production.)

I was worried about that too since I have seen what happens to the Otterbox Commuter for Moment when you put it on or off (plastic clips breaking off).

Upvote 0
Got a Commuter for my MoPho, too. Great case. Only rubber touches the phone's body--no fear of scratching. I also think the included screen protector is quite nice. It has a bit of "rainbow sheen" when installed, but it fits well, is very transparent, and seems quite scratch-resistant. The combo is a win in my book.

I had a Defender for a while, but returned it to RadioShack because the built-in screen protector harmed daylight readability too much for my taste. I considered just ripping it out, but instead called OtterBox and offered the suggestion that Defenders be sold with two front halves, one with screen membrane and the other designed for use with a typical screen protector. I think they're seriously considering this.

Upvote 0
It does fit just fine in the car dock however.

Hey bandage there has been lots of confusion surrounding this, I really think the commuter is the way I want to go, but fitting in the car dock is a huge selling point for me... can you confirm that it does in fact fit with the car dock? If so, why do you think many are saying it is not?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Upvote 0
Hey bandage there has been lots of confusion surrounding this, I really think the commuter is the way I want to go, but fitting in the car dock is a huge selling point for me... can you confirm that it does in fact fit with the car dock?

It fits, but...

There is just enough of a corner to prevent the phone from going into dock mode. I've narrowed down what and where and am currently pondering how to go about it. I really don't think it'll be that big of a deal.

Photos to come...

Reactions: mkvoran
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones