1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips [Review] Portable micro USB Chargers-The best ones

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ILoveMyDroid, Jun 6, 2011.

1. ILoveMyDroid

ILoveMyDroid Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 4, 2010
    Since I'll be going to France this week I want the best battery life possible which is why I'm packing two of the best Portable Micro-USB Chargers I could find. One of these is a less portable version which can be found at the VZW store for 1/2 off if you have a 4G phone! iGo PS00273-0001 Charge Anywhere Universal Power Extender (Black) | cellphonebot cellphones, smart phones, iphone, anything mobile!
    This one gives you 1800 mah of battery which is more than enough to bring your phone to full battery. The only downside is it wont slip in your pocket easily if you're on the go...It has 6ft(more like 4) of charging cable and the housing is substantially big.

On the other hand for commuting and charging things in your pocket I've ordered the Kensington Portable Micro-USB charger for smartphones and cameras as I have discovered. It only gives you 1250 mah which compared to the 1400 mah of the Tbolt isn't par with the device. Yet, it is really slim, doesn't have lengthy cables, fits in your pocket w/the device, and charges the phone full from 15%. A pretty good deal if you ask me! Amazon.com: Kensington K38056US Pocket Battery for SmartPhones (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Advertisement

WA_Bob likes this.
  2. CJeep

CJeep Newbie
    None

Nov 25, 2009
    Connecticut
    Yup. The iGo is the only charger I carry with me now (aside from a car charger in the car). I can charge both my TBolt and my work BB (or the Kindle) from one outlet, and the battery in the iGo has saved my bacon on a few occasions. Got mine with a cable and adapters for about $22 from amazon.

3. ILoveMyDroid

None

Jan 4, 2010
    Good deal. I just hope it doesn't get too hot if I try charging some gear in the car on a sunny day...

4. robrecht

robrecht Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Senior Manager, Scientific Communications (pharmac
    I've had two of the iGo "1800 mAh" wall chargers and neither one was able to charge my 1400 mAh ThunderBolt battery more than about 70-75%. Called iGo and they said that was normal. Occasionally the battery would discharge completely before I needed it. It's a really good idea but neither units performed well for me.

5. Whatstreet

Whatstreet Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Fremont, CA
    I have the Energized XP8000. It's a little bigger than the thunderbolt, so it can be carried in a coat pocket or maybe even pants pocket. It has plenty of power.

By the way, will the Thunderbolt work in France?

6. ILoveMyDroid

None

Jan 4, 2010
    Of course it will work. It may not get cell coverage, but the overall functionality desired be the user will remain unchanged. By this I mean that I'll use the phone for picture taking and skype when I have wi-fi yet No call making or texting.

7. Whatstreet

Whatstreet Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Fremont, CA
    I see. A very small tablet PC. Skype when on WiFi. GPS...

8. makerofdrums

makerofdrums Newbie
    None

May 16, 2010
    This works relatively well and inexpensive

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10833&cs_id=1083311&p_id=7664&seq=1&format=2