• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Review: Static Cling vs Wet adhesion Screen protectors

MrX8503

Android Enthusiast
May 23, 2010
I'm not sure how many people are aware of this, so I'm just passing this info along. I don't have my own pictures for comparison, so I just found these two.

Wet Adhesion Screen protector (ie: invisible shield, best skins, body gaurdz)
orange001.jpg

Static Cling (ie: Clarivue, SGP, Powersupport)
matte.jpg

I think from looking at these two pictures you can see which is superior. After buying both products, I will say that Static Clings are the way to go 100%.

Here are the reasons why:

Static clings aren't sticky or grippy
It doesn't have orange peel
Its smooth like glass
Its reusable! You can wash it and reapply.

I don't see any reason to buy a wet adhesion screen protector unless you like the grippy feel. I hope this helps some people out in choosing a static cling. I'm sporting an SGP Ultra clear on mine and its awesome, it feels like there's nothing on it at all. I hear great things from powersupport and clarivue too.

Agree 100% on just about everything you said.
For the most part I agree too. However to call them reusable is optimistic at best. I've been using static adhering protectors for years and once they are applied that's really about the end of the story. The issue is that once washed (which is easy enough) it needs to dry. How can you dry it without dust settling on it and creating a very annoying situation? I guess you could let it dry inside a ziploc bag for a few days and then you might have a shot. For me it was always easier to order a 2 pack and just use a new one.

Upvote 0
For the most part I agree too. However to call them reusable is optimistic at best. I've been using static adhering protectors for years and once they are applied that's really about the end of the story. The issue is that once washed (which is easy enough) it needs to dry. How can you dry it without dust settling on it and creating a very annoying situation? I guess you could let it dry inside a ziploc bag for a few days and then you might have a shot. For me it was always easier to order a 2 pack and just use a new one.

After you wash it (distilled water only) you can apply it wet. It'll dry eventually like the wet screen protectors. Try it, it works

Upvote 0
Your conclusion does not take into account that all wet-style protectors are the same. Unfortunately some of the best makers don't supply for the HTC Evo yet.

I have a Fullbody Films Protective Pack on my iPod Touch 2G. It's practically impossible to tell it's there because it has NO tactile feel, rubbery/grippy look, and does not introduce any color artifacts. I've tried about 10 different brands and nothing has come close to FBF. FBF has lifetime warranty, and I've never been able to scratch it with coins, keys, accidental drops, laying it on rough surfaces, letting my careless nephews play with my iPT2G, or anything.

If FBF does film for HTC Evo, I'll make the switch to it instantly and know that my Evo will be covered for as long as I own it.

Until then, I find myself living with static protectors as I've accepted that I just might have to change them every so often.

And I've never found any static protector to be easily washed/rinsed and reused. Every subesquent application after the first seems to lead to less cling, especially around the edges.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip but I use static cling protectors to avoid having water on my screen.

I'm just saying the option is there.

Also another tip for static clings is to sandwich a used one between two pieces of packing tape, then pull the packing tape apart.

What this does is that it'll strip every dust particle away from the static cling.

Upvote 0
What exactly do you guys mean by "orange peel".

If you look at my original post, compare the first image and the second image.

The first image has a ripply texture on it, kinda looks like the texture of an orange peel. Thats where the term "orange peel" comes from.

Then if you look at the second image, the surface is smooth, no texture aka orange peel.

Upvote 0
If you look at my original post, compare the first image and the second image.

The first image has a ripply texture on it, kinda looks like the texture of an orange peel. Thats where the term "orange peel" comes from.

Then if you look at the second image, the surface is smooth, no texture aka orange peel.

Ah, that's what I thought but I wasn't sure.

I am using the Zagg Invisible Shield and never noticed it until now. Hopefully it doesn't drive me crazy!

Upvote 0
I'm thinking about getting the new Droid X phone when it comes out here in a couple days, but right now i have the iPhone 4 and i have Ghost Armor on it.. its pretty mcuh like glass. That first image you posted Mrx8503.. that has to be Zagg(Invisible shield)!! The guy at Apple Store told me to go with Ghost Armor instead of Zagg or Invisible shield because it would look just like that! I used static clig ones before and if you stick them in your jeans wrong that screen protector will come right up and then bubbles get all underneath there and then you have to restart. Not to mention trying to get dirt off there.

Like i said i have Ghost Armor for mine and its like GLASS(let me know if you wanna see pic, so you can kind of judge for your self)

What do you guys think of screen protectors and Gorilla Glass.. my co-worker has the Moto DROID and his screen is SCRATCHED ALL OVER but yet he says he has Gorilla Glass. The reason i ask is cause of the new Droid X - supposedly it will have Gorilla Glass.... Please Help!!

Upvote 0
I'm thinking about getting the new Droid X phone when it comes out here in a couple days, but right now i have the iPhone 4 and i have Ghost Armor on it.. its pretty mcuh like glass. That first image you posted Mrx8503.. that has to be Zagg(Invisible shield)!! The guy at Apple Store told me to go with Ghost Armor instead of Zagg or Invisible shield because it would look just like that! I used static clig ones before and if you stick them in your jeans wrong that screen protector will come right up and then bubbles get all underneath there and then you have to restart. Not to mention trying to get dirt off there.

Like i said i have Ghost Armor for mine and its like GLASS(let me know if you wanna see pic, so you can kind of judge for your self)

What do you guys think of screen protectors and Gorilla Glass.. my co-worker has the Moto DROID and his screen is SCRATCHED ALL OVER but yet he says he has Gorilla Glass. The reason i ask is cause of the new Droid X - supposedly it will have Gorilla Glass.... Please Help!!

I'm interested in seeing a picture of your Ghost Armor, I can return pretty much anything with my Best Buy rewards membership so I might try to return my Zagg and get a Ghost Armor instead.

Upvote 0
Pro tip, unless you're an active carpenter or construction worker, you have next to need for a screen protector. Unless you live somewhere where you're prone to dropping the either on a belt sander, face first, or you live in the Mohave desert, and you drop your phones completely buried under sand all the time, there is no need really. Those 2 things are about all this screen isn't near invincible too, and power tools with drill bits directly on the screen of course.

Upvote 0
Pro tip, unless you're an active carpenter or construction worker, you have next to need for a screen protector. Unless you live somewhere where you're prone to dropping the either on a belt sander, face first, or you live in the Mohave desert, and you drop your phones completely buried under sand all the time, there is no need really. Those 2 things are about all this screen isn't near invincible too, and power tools with drill bits directly on the screen of course.

You're right but what if sand gets in your phone? Screen protectors become irrelevant at that point. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

If you're ghost armor is like glass then I'll take your word for it. The likelihood of a static cling peeling off is just as likely as a wet adhesion one would.

As for my opinion for screen protectors on cell phones with Gorilla glass? Screen protectors are still necessary. The Moto Droid has gorilla glass but can still scratch, which is why your co worker's phone is all scratched up.

The iPhone, EVO, Droid, Incredible, none of these phones' screen is scratch proof, its scratch resistant. Yes I know that you've seen videos of razor blades, but everyday wear will create hair line scratches on your device.

Get a static cling or a wet adhesion screen protector, my preference is static cling as you can tell from my review.

Upvote 0
Here's a couple shots of my Ghost Armor on my phone..

Like i said i haven't tried a clig yet.. just would have to imagine that the adhesive would stick better then static would.

Broken1i - i think to protect against sand you would have to have an Otterbox. Even if you got a case sand would get inside your case and since it wouldn't get out right away it would destroy your phone cause it would just rub all over your phone (it would be the same thing as sand paper). At least with my Ghost Armor nothing can get in between where the material is and my phone - so that means, it cant touch my phone, which means - where its Ghost Armored it can scratch my phone..

Not totally against Getting a soft rubber case and still having my phone Ghost Armored though. Cant scratch it with the ghost Armor, and the soft rubber case helps with those CRAZY drops.

Just called my friend at Verizon and put my order in for the Droid X. After reading more about it - I'm hooked!!

*posted one pic where you can see my computer screen reflecting right off the back of my phone so try and show how smooth the material is. I ordered two when i bought it - cause I'm not that good at it, but i got the hang of it*

s0ccer60d04-albums-my-phone-picture1479-img-2465.jpg
s0ccer60d04-albums-my-phone-picture1478-img-2464.jpg
s0ccer60d04-albums-my-phone-picture1477-img-2463.jpg

Upvote 0
Just curious guys, does ghost armor cover the whole screen on evo or do the edges not reach?

I had Ghost armor on my first EVO, but Sprint Tech Support told me that it was causing my touchscreen to become unresponsive (although, that didn't turn out to be the case). Nontheless, I liked it a lot, but I have a strange feeling that the wet application might've caused the touchscreen issues I had before (this is just a guess/speculation, not fact). While I had it on, it was by FAR the better wet application screen protector compared to the Invisible Shield (I had that on my HTC Touch Pro and it didn't feel as nice to the touch as Ghost Armor).

Nontheless, I am looking into a static/dry application shield now. I tried this one called Wrapsol, but when I received the package the screen already looked all scratched up and used, so I ended up returning it.

Some people who have gotten static application screensavers have talked about Boxwave. Anybody else used those? How do they compare to the ones the OP mentioned?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones