1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root Revised procedure for persistent root!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zennmaster, May 29, 2011.

1. zennmaster

zennmaster Member

Sep 8, 2010
    The method that's been posted around, originally (I think) from Rootzwiki works in principle, but does not give a persistent root, and the procedure needs some fleshing out. This is the method I used to achieve persistent (although reversible) root on the Rev.

Here goes:

1) Get ADB working (I'm using Linux, BTW, so I can't really help with Windows issues). Get into a terminal.
    When the command adb devices produces an output like:

Code (Text):
    1. List of devices attached
    2. [xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]    device
    Then you are in business.

2) On the phone, make sure you have "Internet Connection" selected as your USB connection mode, and USB Debugging selected in Menu -> Applications -> Development (as previously discussed, USB debugging will remain greyed out until Internet Connection is selected).

Grab SU, Rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin and busybox, which are all in a zip file I have attached below.

3)Place all three files in a convenient location for pushing with adb (your /[Path-To-SDK]/platform-tools directory would be a great idea)

4)We need to get our rooting tools onto the phone, so from your terminal, type:

Code (Text):
    1. adb push su /data/local/temp
    2. adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/temp/rage
    3. adb push busybox /data/local/temp
    Now enter adb shell like this:

Code (Text):
    1. adb shell
    You will now see a "$" prompt.

Type:

Code (Text):
    1. ./data/local/temp/rage
    Now wait until you get kicked all the way back to your terminal prompt. If you see the "$", don't do anything, just keep waiting! When it's done you'll be all the way out of ADB, which you will now need to restart.

5) Get back to the adb shell:

Code (Text):
    1. adb shell
    Instead of a "$" prompt, you should now see a "#". Congratulations! You're rooted!

Now to make it stick:

6) (This is the part that people were getting stuck on) Now you need to remount your /system directory as read/write, so type:

Code (Text):
    1. mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/mmcblk0p12 /system
    Your /system directory is now mounted read/write.

Now to move the tools we pushed earlier into their new homes:

Code (Text):
    1. cd /system/bin
    2. cat /data/local/temp/su > su
    3. cat /data/local/temp/busybox > busybox
    4. chmod 4755 su
    5. chmod 4755 busybox
    At this point, you may want to remove the files you put in /data/local/temp: This is just housekeeping, the files won't hurt anything if you leave them there.

(optional)
    Code (Text):
    1. rm /data/local/temp/su
    2. rm /data/local/temp/busybox
    3. rm /data/local/temp/rage
    Then reboot:

Code (Text):
    1. reboot
    When your phone reboots, go to the market and download Superuser.

This worked for me, hopefully it will work for you!

-Z

Attached Files:

Advertisement

2. stetsonaw

stetsonaw Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Network Engineer
    Omaha
  3. tjac357

tjac357 New Member

Jun 2, 2011
    this should be the same procedure for a mac, right?

4. Haxcid

Haxcid Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2009
    for the most part. The commands are the same I think. the ADB install will be different.

5. tjac357

tjac357 New Member

Jun 2, 2011
    I got the adb working. Only problem when I give the command adb devices before I begin, nothing shows up. A few nights ago I got adb to recognize my droid x, but it's not working on the revo :/ my laptops recognizing it. and both degugging and allowing of non-market apps is on

6. tjac357

tjac357 New Member

Jun 2, 2011
    It's all working now. Minus being able to push su or busybox. i got the # like you said meaning i've successfully rooted, but when i go to use titanium backup it says i'm not rooted. Sorry if this is cluttering up the thread, i don't mean to just looking for some help