1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Revised] Rooting Gingerbread 2.3.5 Dummies Guide

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ocnbrze, Jan 24, 2012.

1. CapThrowback

CapThrowback Android Expert

Did you download the 3.11 Full Wipe version, or just the update? The update isn't a full ROM, which will result in the issue you're having.

Granite1, onedummy and Rxpert83 like this.
  2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

I've seen numerous people make that same mistake. I wish mik would be a little more clear in his OP about which link is for what.

I've also seen people think they need to flash 3.11 and then the 3.11 update over it (wouldn't cause any problems, but just another example of general confusion for some)

3. onedummy

onedummy Lurker

That was exactly what I did wrong. Thank you all so much for your assistance!

ocnbrze and Rxpert83 like this.
  4. bakerbrock24

bakerbrock24 Newbie

I couldnt find the SDK Manager.exe anywhere so, does anyone know the reason to this..is it that i just don't know where to look or do i have to run the downloaded the files i got in one of the previous steps..please help!

5. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!
    just use the files that are in the op of this guide. you only need the adb.exe, fastboot.exe, and the AdbWinApi.dll. i have all three in the guide.

6. bakerbrock24

bakerbrock24 Newbie

Thanks! but, i actually already have those...I'm talking about the SDK Manager File that is in the picture in the steps on the htcdev cite, i cant manage to find where i can run sdk manager

7. ocnbrze

that is all you need then. just move them to the android folder that you created and then you are good to go. i put those files in the guide to help speed things up. the sdk manager can be confusing for some so i tried and made it easy for you.

8. bakerbrock24

bakerbrock24 Newbie

so i can skip to step six?

9. ocnbrze

yes skip steps 6-9 as those are instructions on how to pull those files that i have provided in the guide.

10. bakerbrock24

bakerbrock24 Newbie

sorry for all the questions, but then how do i get my Device Indetifier Token then? sorry, im not as technologically inclined as others..

11. ocnbrze

do not worry about the questions that is what this forum is all about. basically you need those three files in the android folder. once they are in the folder then press and hold shift while right clicking on the android folder. then select open command window here option. make sure that your phone is in fastboot as per HTCdev instrcutions. once you have the phone in fastboot and you have the command window open then type in the command:
    Code (Text):
    1.  fastboot oem get_identifier_token

Rxpert83 likes this.
  12. bakerbrock24

bakerbrock24 Newbie

alright, well i've gotten as far as putting my code into the text box and i got this error message when i do. [Error Code: Invalid Bootloader Token Length.
    Error Reason: The submitted Token appears to be the wrong length and won\'t work.]

13. ocnbrze

are you pasting the right lines?

it should start with:<<<<<Identifier Token Start>>>>>
    and end with:
    <<<<<Identifier Token End>>>>>

14. bakerbrock24

bakerbrock24 Newbie

nope...im an idiot.

ocnbrze likes this.
  15. EvoGeek

EvoGeek Newbie

Sorry to repost, but I edited my last post instead of starting a new post. Well, I finally got my bootloader unlocked. i don't know what the problem was, but I gave it a day and tried again today and it worked just fine. I am now unlocked, but since I am at home and only have a mac here, is there anyway to flash the MikG ROM on a Mac? If so, can anyone help me with the steps? Thanks in advance.

16. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Yes you can flash just fine on a Mac. Just download your rom(don't unzip it! Macs do this by default so disable it in your Mac settings) put it on sd card and then flash as you would any other rom.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

EvoGeek and ocnbrze like this.
  17. bakerbrock24

bakerbrock24 Newbie

Okay, so ive gotten as far as flashing my rom..when it says to move the vr superwipe file to your card...do you do this by moving it into the android file we made earlier? or how do you move it to your card?

18. ocnbrze

ok once you have a custom recovery, you do not have use the android folder again. but you nay want to keep it as you can do a lot of things with adb setup like you have.

and just to make sure the vr superwipe is not a rom, but only a tool that helps to wipe your phone before flashing roms. and yes that file including the rom of your choice will need to be on the card.

19. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Lurker

Thanks a ton for the guide. If I use your method will I eventually achieve a state of s-off or will it always remain s-on? What are the drawbacks of that?

20. ocnbrze

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    well this is my guide, but i take no credit on any of the methods in the guide. please read this thread http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/534668-advantages-s-off.html

21. bakerbrock24

bakerbrock24 Newbie

oh, well then how do i get the mikG rom to my card?

22. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Connect your phone to your computer via USB and select mount as disk drive. Then just go start>mycomputer and drag and drop the files onto your phone drive

ocnbrze likes this.
  23. bakerbrock24

bakerbrock24 Newbie

Thank you!, im practically done...besides this last question when we are in "Flash zip from you sd card" section in recovery and im choosing the mikg rom..what fold inside the download do i choose..i dont want to pick the wrong thing on accident...or was i not suppose to unzip the files as i now see that it says choose a ZIP to apply?

24. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Correct. You do not unzip the file

25. bakerbrock24

bakerbrock24 Newbie

dang, so what do i need to redo so i can get it working properly...do i have to get the unzipped file onto the phone and redo everything from that step on or can i just go to choosing the room?

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews