• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Revised] Rooting Gingerbread 2.3.5 Dummies Guide

Hello all.. I have the same scenario. I used option 1 (HTC Dev method) and was able to get through all of the steps.

I even did this again:

try this rom:
MikG v3.11 [3/9/2012]

1.download the rom
2.go into recovery and select backup and make a nandroid backup
3.go back to the main menu and select wipe
4.wipe dalvik cache, then cache, and finally system
5.go back to the main menu and select usb-ms toggle and move mikg3.11 file over to the sd card. DO NOT PUT IT IN A FOLDER. just leave it on the root of the sd card.
6.select flash zip from sd card and then scroll down to the mikg 3.11 file by using the vol up or vol down and then select it with the power button.
7.first boot up will take a bit longer then normal so do not panic. the phone needs to be build up the caches and that takes some time.
8.congrats!!!!!!!!!!you have now mikg3.11

Unfortunately It still boots to the bootloader menu, re: my options are Fastboot, Bootloader, Reboot, Reboot Bootloader, and Power Down. I have been unable to actually get back into normal phone use mode.

Any other suggestions? :thinking:

Thank you!
Did you download the 3.11 Full Wipe version, or just the update? The update isn't a full ROM, which will result in the issue you're having.

Upvote 0
I couldnt find the SDK Manager.exe anywhere so, does anyone know the reason to this..is it that i just don't know where to look or do i have to run the downloaded the files i got in one of the previous steps..please help!
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!
just use the files that are in the op of this guide. you only need the adb.exe, fastboot.exe, and the AdbWinApi.dll. i have all three in the guide.

Upvote 0
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!
just use the files that are in the op of this guide. you only need the adb.exe, fastboot.exe, and the AdbWinApi.dll. i have all three in the guide.
Thanks! but, i actually already have those...I'm talking about the SDK Manager File that is in the picture in the steps on the htcdev cite, i cant manage to find where i can run sdk manager

Upvote 0
Thanks! but, i actually already have those...I'm talking about the SDK Manager File that is in the picture in the steps on the htcdev cite, i cant manage to find where i can run sdk manager

that is all you need then. just move them to the android folder that you created and then you are good to go. i put those files in the guide to help speed things up. the sdk manager can be confusing for some so i tried and made it easy for you.

Upvote 0
sorry for all the questions, but then how do i get my Device Indetifier Token then? sorry, im not as technologically inclined as others..

do not worry about the questions that is what this forum is all about. basically you need those three files in the android folder. once they are in the folder then press and hold shift while right clicking on the android folder. then select open command window here option. make sure that your phone is in fastboot as per HTCdev instrcutions. once you have the phone in fastboot and you have the command window open then type in the command:
Code:
 fastboot oem get_identifier_token

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
do not worry about the questions that is what this forum is all about. basically you need those three files in the android folder. once they are in the folder then press and hold shift while right clicking on the android folder. then select open command window here option. make sure that your phone is in fastboot as per HTCdev instrcutions. once you have the phone in fastboot and you have the command window open then type in the command:
Code:
 fastboot oem get_identifier_token
alright, well i've gotten as far as putting my code into the text box and i got this error message when i do. [Error Code: Invalid Bootloader Token Length.
Error Reason: The submitted Token appears to be the wrong length and won\'t work.]

Upvote 0
alright, well i've gotten as far as putting my code into the text box and i got this error message when i do. [Error Code: Invalid Bootloader Token Length.
Error Reason: The submitted Token appears to be the wrong length and won\'t work.]

are you pasting the right lines?

it should start with:<<<<<Identifier Token Start>>>>>
and end with:
<<<<<Identifier Token End>>>>>

Upvote 0
Sorry to repost, but I edited my last post instead of starting a new post. Well, I finally got my bootloader unlocked. i don't know what the problem was, but I gave it a day and tried again today and it worked just fine. I am now unlocked, but since I am at home and only have a mac here, is there anyway to flash the MikG ROM on a Mac? If so, can anyone help me with the steps? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Okay, so ive gotten as far as flashing my rom..when it says to move the vr superwipe file to your card...do you do this by moving it into the android file we made earlier? or how do you move it to your card?

ok once you have a custom recovery, you do not have use the android folder again. but you nay want to keep it as you can do a lot of things with adb setup like you have.

and just to make sure the vr superwipe is not a rom, but only a tool that helps to wipe your phone before flashing roms. and yes that file including the rom of your choice will need to be on the card.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
ok once you have a custom recovery, you do not have use the android folder again. but you nay want to keep it as you can do a lot of things with adb setup like you have.

and just to make sure the vr superwipe is not a rom, but only a tool that helps to wipe your phone before flashing roms. and yes that file including the rom of your choice will need to be on the card.
oh, well then how do i get the mikG rom to my card?

Upvote 0
Connect your phone to your computer via USB and select mount as disk drive. Then just go start>mycomputer and drag and drop the files onto your phone drive
Thank you!, im practically done...besides this last question when we are in "Flash zip from you sd card" section in recovery and im choosing the mikg rom..what fold inside the download do i choose..i dont want to pick the wrong thing on accident...or was i not suppose to unzip the files as i now see that it says choose a ZIP to apply?

Upvote 0
Thank you!, im practically done...besides this last question when we are in "Flash zip from you sd card" section in recovery and im choosing the mikg rom..what fold inside the download do i choose..i dont want to pick the wrong thing on accident...or was i not suppose to unzip the files as i now see that it says choose a ZIP to apply?

Correct. You do not unzip the file

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones