• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Revised] Rooting Gingerbread 2.3.5 Dummies Guide

Im following the www . htcdev . com steps, and after running the "SDK Manager.exe" it's asking me to update it,

this is the step:

"b.

Wait about 3 minutes. You will see there are many packages you can update. Please install Android SDK Platform Tools and Android SDK Tools (Please update it if your SDK version is r11)."

my question is: should I update EVERYTHING it's asking me to update? because I did (I am) and it's taking forever.....

these are the files i downloaded while following the instructions:
1. android-sdk_r12-windows
2. setup_3.0.5551
3. Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed
4.PC36IMG_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.70.651.1_Radio_2.15.00.11.19_NV_1.90_release_161482_signed
5. PC36IMG_AmonRA-v2.3-hausmod_revA
6. mtd-eng
7. flash_image

Upvote 0
Im following the www . htcdev . com steps, and after running the "SDK Manager.exe" it's asking me to update it,

this is the step:

"b.

Wait about 3 minutes. You will see there are many packages you can update. Please install Android SDK Platform Tools and Android SDK Tools (Please update it if your SDK version is r11)."

my question is: should I update EVERYTHING it's asking me to update? because I did (I am) and it's taking forever.....

these are the files i downloaded while following the instructions:
1. android-sdk_r12-windows
2. setup_3.0.5551
3. Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed
4.PC36IMG_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.70.651.1_Radio_2.15.00.11.19_NV_1.90_release_161482_signed
5. PC36IMG_AmonRA-v2.3-hausmod_revA
6. mtd-eng
7. flash_image

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well you really need only the two that htc asks for, the rest is not necessary. and it looks like you have all the tools. let us know if you have any questions.

Upvote 0
ok i added a new faq's to the second post. hope it helps. if anybody can think of other suggestions that they would like to see there then please post it here and i will add it.
You can still flash custom ROMs without being S-OFF. There's really no reason to be S-OFF if you've unlocked with HTC's method, especially if you're already out of warranty. As long as you have a custom recovery, you can flash whatever custom ROM you want. My process is not for beginners, really, and being fully NAND-unlocked is probably more dangerous for those that are. You might just want to have your guide focus on helping with the HTC process, and then just refer to my guide for advanced users that know why they'd want to be S-OFF. It's just very difficult for me to field questions on my process over here and over at themikmik too, especially when people aren't following all of the directions from the HTC process correctly.

Upvote 0
You can still flash custom ROMs without being S-OFF. There's really no reason to be S-OFF if you've unlocked with HTC's method, especially if you're already out of warranty. As long as you have a custom recovery, you can flash whatever custom ROM you want. My process is not for beginners, really, and being fully NAND-unlocked is probably more dangerous for those that are. You might just want to have your guide focus on helping with the HTC process, and then just refer to my guide for advanced users that know why they'd want to be S-OFF. It's just very difficult for me to field questions on my process over here and over at themikmik too, especially when people aren't following all of the directions from the HTC process correctly.

that is a good point. i will edit the guide to reflect that. and thanx again captain for helping out. very much appreciated.

Upvote 0
I'm trying to unlock my boot loader and getting stuck... my phone says:
SUPERSONIC EVT-2 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-0.93.0000
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16AB
RADIO-2.15.00.07.28

I am to the step where I type "fast boot oem get_identifier_token" in commend prompt, cmd says "waiting for device" but I am getting an error (I think) on my phone when I enter boot loader mode, it says "SD checking...
Loading... [PC36DIAG.zip]
No image!
Loading...[PC36DIAG].nhh
No image or wrong image!

then the progress bar completes and it asks if I want to do an update... but my pc never recognizes that the phone is connected so i can get the token... where am I screwing up? Thanks!!!

Upvote 0
I'm trying to unlock my boot loader and getting stuck... my phone says:
SUPERSONIC EVT-2 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-0.93.0000
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16AB
RADIO-2.15.00.07.28

I am to the step where I type "fast boot oem get_identifier_token" in commend prompt, cmd says "waiting for device" but I am getting an error (I think) on my phone when I enter boot loader mode, it says "SD checking...
No image!
Loading...[PC36DIAG].nhh
No image or wrong image!

then the progress bar completes and it asks if I want to do an update... but my pc never recognizes that the phone is connected so i can get the token... where am I screwing up? Thanks!!!
You do not need this process. Your HBOOT is not 2.18, and you are already S-OFF.

Upvote 0
FFS, while in boot loader mode I inadvertently ran an update that reverted my phone to some older version, now when I search for htc software updates, it says non are available... how is that possible? I wish I never would have attempted to do this again... nothing but problems
Yeah, I'm not sure why you though you had to. You probably just need to flash a custom recovery (unless you're still running one) and flash the latest superuser. That'll get your root permissions back (since it sounds like you lost them).

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm not sure why you though you had to. You probably just need to flash a custom recovery (unless you're still running one) and flash the latest superuser. That'll get your root permissions back (since it sounds like you lost them).

Cap, sorry for my ignorance, but the way that I understood it was that I had gained root access, which I thought was analogous to superuser... but that I never flashed a custom recovery.... I thought I was running a stock recovery... then I wanted to apply some HTC updates, so I thought that I followed the instructions correctly to unroot, because after I did that, the updates installed properly... I thought that when you installed HTC updates it would revert you to S-ON... I'm sure my ignorance is stunning.. I feel stupid after spending so MANY hours on this!!!

Upvote 0
Cap, sorry for my ignorance, but the way that I understood it was that I had gained root access, which I thought was analogous to superuser... but that I never flashed a custom recovery.... I thought I was running a stock recovery... then I wanted to apply some HTC updates, so I thought that I followed the instructions correctly to unroot, because after I did that, the updates installed properly... I thought that when you installed HTC updates it would revert you to S-ON... I'm sure my ignorance is stunning.. I feel stupid after spending so MANY hours on this!!!
You never have to unroot to get updates. Devs will always root any updates that emerge, making it unnecessary to unroot and then re-root. Root access can be obtained temporarily through a few different exploits, bit it appears you are NAND unlocked, likely using unrevoked, so no update you take will change that. However, if you take an "official" update, you will lose root (and possibly your custom recovery). So your solution remains to flash a custom recovery, and then superuser, and then whatever ROM you're running will be rooted. If you're saying that you're already (or still) rooted, then there really isn't anything else you need to do. Stock recovery doesn't have any menu options, it's just a picture, so if you have any options there, it is custom.

Upvote 0
You never have to unroot to get updates. Devs will always root any updates that emerge, making it unnecessary to unroot and then re-root. Root access can be obtained temporarily through a few different exploits, bit it appears you are NAND unlocked, likely using unrevoked, so no update you take will change that. However, if you take an "official" update, you will lose root (and possibly your custom recovery). So your solution remains to flash a custom recovery, and then superuser, and then whatever ROM you're running will be rooted. If you're saying that you're already (or still) rooted, then there really isn't anything else you need to do. Stock recovery doesn't have any menu options, it's just a picture, so if you have any options there, it is custom.

I did use unrevoked initially. Every time that I tried to install an HTC update it would fail, until I unrooted. What would cause that?

Upvote 0
I did use unrevoked initially. Every time that I tried to install an HTC update it would fail, until I unrooted. What would cause that?
What I'm saying is that you don't have to install the official HTC updates. Since you're S-OFF, you should just wait until a dev roots the update, and then you can flash it. Having a custom recovery will usually prevent an OTA from installing. That being said, you should really just disable those updates or at least not accept them, since you can just wait and flash a rooted version.

Upvote 0
What I'm saying is that you don't have to install the official HTC updates. Since you're S-OFF, you should just wait until a dev roots the update, and then you can flash it. Having a custom recovery will usually prevent an OTA from installing. That being said, you should really just disable those updates or at least not accept them, since you can just wait and flash a rooted version.

Oh crap... brilliant... I feel like such a dumb ass... thanks

Upvote 0
C:\Users\MEEE\Documents\android-sdk_r12-windows\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
$ su
su
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
/sdcard/flash_image: No such file or directory
# /data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img
/data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img
# chmod 755 /data/flash_image
chmod 755 /data/flash_image

I'm very confused, particularly about the flash_image > /data/flash_image part.
It keeps saying there is no such file or directory, no matter what I do. I read all of the comments here and something was said about uninstalling HTC Sync, so I uninstalled it and tried again. Then the daemon started running, so I took that as a good sign.

I know Captain's guide is for advanced users, but I'm gonna go ahead and call myself a beginner here. I have no clue what flash_image is or what I'm doing with it. All I know is it's not doing what it did in Captain's guide, and that makes me feel like I shouldn't continue.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong here?

Upvote 0
I'm very confused, particularly about the flash_image > /data/flash_image part.
It keeps saying there is no such file or directory, no matter what I do. I read all of the comments here and something was said about uninstalling HTC Sync, so I uninstalled it and tried again. Then the daemon started running, so I took that as a good sign.

I know Captain's guide is for advanced users, but I'm gonna go ahead and call myself a beginner here. I have no clue what flash_image is or what I'm doing with it. All I know is it's not doing what it did in Captain's guide, and that makes me feel like I shouldn't continue.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong here?

where do you have the files on your card? is it in the root of the sd card? or do you have it in a folder on the sd card?

and it looks like you are missing the order of the inputs. not sure if there is a difference or not.

it needs to be:
1.cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image [ENTER]

2.chmod 755 /data/flash_image [ENTER]

3./data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img [ENTER]

looks like you entered them 1,3 then 2 according to your input.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones