• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Revised] Rooting Gingerbread 2.3.5 Dummies Guide

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!
are you sure that you have the entire length of the token copied correctly. it needs to include the arrows:
<<<<<Identifier Token Start>>>>>
and end with:
<<<<<Identifier Token End>>>>>

thanx and your team is younger i beleive and they are built similarly so we should face each in the playoffs for quite some time now. i almost lost my job because i kept missing work to watch the finals and celebrate at the parade. lol

Yeah positive i do it like this ------->
<<<< Identifier Token Start >>>>
8B7C558FD16211B931A8CFE8F1714356
AEF2DEE7C057D4FE4456479A3EDC26D3
FE1D78D1D569515E49D05DB792D6858E
D8446E739273FA59AACCE91B06953EE6
050E6D89CDW45A1ECBC3D8305DC8D86
5C0C8BA7371B63917184C713FD2FDEFB
2CA14CBB12CEF15D10BE82EC56C210A5
DC9A58B185B9D1064761F1F97B6DBE62
FA3F433DC92122E899488912508F675B
59EA31F425EC725C86C1ADBF88AC9380
68E47085017AA2583D2A5132542B0479
9867D9FA57852A446C5452379A13883B
E0653835000047BB1DD57FB80933F7011
000F853EDC5751C90856510F1AAA9544
<<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>>

Thats not my EXACT code but close,

I have even waited a few days, rebooted my phone, had the battery out for an hour and retried it, but it keeps telling me the same thing. :thinking: Do you have any suggestions?

I got into a little trouble too going to the games, i live in Tucson, so its about a 2 hour drive to Glendale, so after the game i get home late and have to be up early, lots of tired days at work. but it is worth it. it's awesome that your guys got the final win at home too, always a plus. :thumbup:

..Ian

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I am having issues when i send the unlocktoken to the phone. No matter how long i wait it wont send. If I unplug the usb iget a read error too many links. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance
I'll try to help ya.
Can I assume you got the unlock code in your email? I'ts a .bin file. that you need to move to your android folder.
Is that where you are having a problem? Or is it the commands?

Edit: Here is a link to where another person may have had the same issues such as yourself..
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/569404-cannot-load-unlock_code-bin.html

Could that help?

Upvote 0
I am having issues when i send the unlocktoken to the phone. No matter how long i wait it wont send. If I unplug the usb iget a read error too many links. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!
does it give you an error? or a waiting on device? and like mikey suggested is this the .bin file you are having issues?

Upvote 0
Yeah positive i do it like this ------->
<<<< Identifier Token Start >>>>
8B7C558FD16211B931A8CFE8F1714356
AEF2DEE7C057D4FE4456479A3EDC26D3
FE1D78D1D569515E49D05DB792D6858E
D8446E739273FA59AACCE91B06953EE6
050E6D89CDW45A1ECBC3D8305DC8D86
5C0C8BA7371B63917184C713FD2FDEFB
2CA14CBB12CEF15D10BE82EC56C210A5
DC9A58B185B9D1064761F1F97B6DBE62
FA3F433DC92122E899488912508F675B
59EA31F425EC725C86C1ADBF88AC9380
68E47085017AA2583D2A5132542B0479
9867D9FA57852A446C5452379A13883B
E0653835000047BB1DD57FB80933F7011
000F853EDC5751C90856510F1AAA9544
<<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>>

Thats not my EXACT code but close,

I have even waited a few days, rebooted my phone, had the battery out for an hour and retried it, but it keeps telling me the same thing. :thinking: Do you have any suggestions?

..Ian
ok this is odd then. maybe try and paste the the token into notepad and then copy that to the HTCdev website. sometimes the command window interprets things differently and notepad might be able to help sort it out. this is just a shot in the dark. hope it works. keep us posted.

Upvote 0
Hi All,
I am trying to use the HTCDev method using a windows 7 machine and am getting stuck on the step where I am unlocking the bootloader. I go into CMD and type in fastbook oem get_identifier_token and all that returns is "waiting for device".
I have checked and made sure that fastboot is disabled on the phone, and that usb debugging is enabled (I also tried it once with the debugging unchecked and still got stuck on the same spot), and that its connecting to the phone in charge only mode
When I was looking around the forum for people that have had the same issue, one thing i saw mentioned was that when you select "fastboot" it is supposed to change to "fastboot usb". Is this true? because if so, that is not happening for me.

I'm really hoping that someone can help me out as this is the third time that I have gotten stuck on this step and am so frustrated that I might just switch to an iPhone (j/k I wouldn't do that). I'm just really tired of stupid "phone storage space is getting low" when I have like 5.6GB available on my SD card

Upvote 0
Hi All,
I am trying to use the HTCDev method using a windows 7 machine and am getting stuck on the step where I am unlocking the bootloader. I go into CMD and type in fastbook oem get_identifier_token and all that returns is "waiting for device".
I have checked and made sure that fastboot is disabled on the phone, and that usb debugging is enabled (I also tried it once with the debugging unchecked and still got stuck on the same spot), and that its connecting to the phone in charge only mode
When I was looking around the forum for people that have had the same issue, one thing i saw mentioned was that when you select "fastboot" it is supposed to change to "fastboot usb". Is this true? because if so, that is not happening for me.

I'm really hoping that someone can help me out as this is the third time that I have gotten stuck on this step and am so frustrated that I might just switch to an iPhone (j/k I wouldn't do that). I'm just really tired of stupid "phone storage space is getting low" when I have like 5.6GB available on my SD card

Have you downloaded all the files needed and put into the Android folder you created in step 5?

Upvote 0
Hi All,

Your phone should not be booted into Android for that step. As per the instructions, you should be in the bootloader, in FASTBOOT mode. That's where you'll see "FASTBOOT USB". And that is only if you've already installed HTC Sync, and the drivers that come along with it.

Upvote 0
thanks for the help and suggestion. I followed the link suggested but no help. I did type in adb devices said server out of date killing....daemon started successfully...list of devices attached....no devices were listed. To describe my problem a little more when i type the fastboot unlocktoken command it goes to sen and stops the last line is sending unlocktoken 0kb/s and stops. I dont know if this clarifies anything. Once again thanks for the help and the friendly welcome to a new forum member

Upvote 0
thanks for the help and suggestion. I followed the link suggested but no help. I did type in adb devices said server out of date killing....daemon started successfully...list of devices attached....no devices were listed. To describe my problem a little more when i type the fastboot unlocktoken command it goes to sen and stops the last line is sending unlocktoken 0kb/s and stops. I dont know if this clarifies anything. Once again thanks for the help and the friendly welcome to a new forum member

are your phone in fastboot when entering the command? do you have the .bin file in the android folder? have you tried and re-download the .bin file?

Upvote 0
ok time to ask what I have a feeling is a stupid question...I finally have time to try to do this again and I went to step 3. I noticed rooted apps I downloaded never worked which made me believe I needed superuser. Now I just flashed that and I have a feeling this is pretty dumb but can I move on from there to the part with custom roms too? The main reason I'm asking is because it seems like its emphasizing the word "or" in the step 3 instructions, making me think that maybe you can't do that if you put the superuser on? Is that a good assumption or can I just continue with the rest of step 3 for the custom roms?

Upvote 0
ok time to ask what I have a feeling is a stupid question...I finally have time to try to do this again and I went to step 3. I noticed rooted apps I downloaded never worked which made me believe I needed superuser. Now I just flashed that and I have a feeling this is pretty dumb but can I move on from there to the part with custom roms too? The main reason I'm asking is because it seems like its emphasizing the word "or" in the step 3 instructions, making me think that maybe you can't do that if you put the superuser on? Is that a good assumption or can I just continue with the rest of step 3 for the custom roms?

figured out that I was stupid and could do it and got it all working great

Upvote 0
Sorry for the delay in responding
I double checked and I properly set up the file folder in step 5 and that all of the files were there.
I am pretty sure that I am attempting to get the token identifier when i am in the bootloader in fastboot mode (little green man, skateboarding). It is here that I am supposed to see Fastboot on the first screen and then when I select it, it changes into Fastboot USB, because if so, that isn't happening for me. I think the problem is that the computer doesn't see my phone. I went to HTC Sync and made sure that I have it completely updated and it is still says that no device is connected. I have tried in all 3 ports on the laptop. I'm assuming that it is not the cord, because it is brand new, but i will try both in a different computer tomorrow and see what results I get. That's the best I can come up with, unless there is a quicker way that I dont know about ...?

Upvote 0
Sorry for the delay in responding
I double checked and I properly set up the file folder in step 5 and that all of the files were there.
I am pretty sure that I am attempting to get the token identifier when i am in the bootloader in fastboot mode (little green man, skateboarding). It is here that I am supposed to see Fastboot on the first screen and then when I select it, it changes into Fastboot USB, because if so, that isn't happening for me. I think the problem is that the computer doesn't see my phone. I went to HTC Sync and made sure that I have it completely updated and it is still says that no device is connected. I have tried in all 3 ports on the laptop. I'm assuming that it is not the cord, because it is brand new, but i will try both in a different computer tomorrow and see what results I get. That's the best I can come up with, unless there is a quicker way that I dont know about ...?

ok so you are in the bootloader then. as long as it changes from fastboot to fastboot usb on the bootloader menu then you are in fastboot. if you have the latest htc sync installed and the phone is still not recognized then something is not right. it could be either your cable, or a bad usb port. it could possibly be the computer as well. i can't think of anything else it could be as well.

let us know what happens tomorrow.

good luck.

Upvote 0
I've done everything you outlined and get this error message:

C:\android>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\android>

I've got version 2.3.5, HBoot 2.18.001 and the phone is unlocked with S-on.

Any guidance would be helfpul.

Upvote 0

Did you highlight fastboot option in your hboot screen first before entering that command?

btw---Welcome to the forums!!!:D

Upvote 0

That error message suggests that the fastboot.exe file is not in your C:\Android folder. Do you have it in a subfolder?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick response. I re read the instructions and did it all again. This is what I got this time:

sending 'recovery' (3544 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.044s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 1.473s]
finished. total time: 2.517s

I'm assuming this all worked correct given that this is a different response from the last attempt.

I want to use this method below but I can't seem to find out how to move anything to my SD card. I can mount my phone but when the drive opens nothing indicates where the SD folder is found to put the necessary files.

1.first you need the vr superwipe (this is not a rom. this is a file that wipes your sytem partitions and also wipes all the temp files as well:ZZZVR_SUPERWIPE.zip. download it and put it on your card. (optional)*
2.download the rom (i recommend MikG v3.11 [3/9/2012]) of your choice and transfer it to your card.
3.go into recovery
4.make a nandroid backup
5.select wipe from the main menu and wipe dalvik cache, cache, and data
6.select flash zip from sdcard
7.find the superwipe file and select it.(optional)
8.find your rom and select it.
9.reboot.

Upvote 0
I'm assuming this all worked correct given that this is a different response from the last attempt.

I want to use this method below but I can't seem to find out how to move anything to my SD card. I can mount my phone but when the drive opens nothing indicates where the SD folder is found to put the necessary files.

yes it looks like it worked. if you can't get to your card via usb and on your phone set to disk drive, then you can always try it in recovery. connect your phone via usb and power off then press and hold power+vol and select recovery in the bootloader menu. once in recovery, select mount usb-ms toggle. you should get a popup on your pc with your sd card's content. just move the files over then follow the guide.

Reactions: Rhea and Mikestony
Upvote 0

Do you mean you cannot see an "sd" folder?
When you plug in phone and mount it, what you see on your computer are your sd card contents. Is that your confusion?:thinking:

Reactions: Rhea and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Do you mean you cannot see an "sd" folder?
When you plug in phone and mount it, what you see on your computer are your sd card contents. Is that your confusion?:thinking:
Correct. I cannot see the SD folder when I mount my phone. I see:

Charge
Sync
Disk Drive
Tethering

When I check the option named "Disk Drive" and navigate to the folder through Windows Explorer "SD" card is not shown anywhere to drag and drop the necessary files in the steps above.

Upvote 0
Correct. I cannot see the SD folder when I mount my phone. I see:

Charge
Sync
Disk Drive
Tethering

When I check the option named "Disk Drive" and navigate to the folder through Windows Explorer "SD" card is not shown anywhere to drag and drop the necessary files in the steps above.
o.k...you are correct when you chose "disk drive"
When the screen on your computer shows up, whatever is listed, is
the content of your sd card...there will be no folder named "sd card"
I hope I follow what you are saying.:)

Edit: perhaps some clarification here.....when you choose disk drive on your phone, the drive letter on your computer, for your phone, should be perhaps e or something other than C.

Upvote 0
yes it looks like it worked. if you can't get to your card via usb and on your phone set to disk drive, then you can always try it in recovery. connect your phone via usb and power off then press and hold power+vol and select recovery in the bootloader menu. once in recovery, select mount usb-ms toggle. you should get a popup on your pc with your sd card's content. just move the files over then follow the guide.
Okay. I'm feeling a little more optimistic now. I've done as you suggested but still only see the contents of what is called G: with a list of all the folders on my Android. I'm assuming I just drag the entire zip file named: MikG v3.11 [3/9/2012]) to the root G:

Is this correct?

Upvote 0
o.k...you are correct when you chose "disk drive"
When the screen on your computer shows up, whatever is listed, is
the content of your sd card...there will be no folder named "sd card"
I hope I follow what you are saying.:)
Now I get it. I was looking for a folder named "SD" or something like this. Sometimes the simplest things get us hung up. I'm dragging the zip file now and will report back what happens. I'm holding my breath....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones