• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reviews Revisit screen protectors

markdoc

Android Expert
Jun 28, 2011
Suburb of New York City, NY, USA
I just read an article on 9 to 5 Google about approved screen protectors for our Pixel 6 Pro. Here's the article:
https://9to5google.com/2022/07/29/pixel-6-screen-protector-fingerprint/
It mentions the fingerprint sensor. If you use a protector that isn't approved, you shouldn't expect the sensor to work. I have proof that it ain't necessarily so!
I've been using a bonded Whitestone Screen Protector since buying my phone. If you install it correctly and reset the sensor once it's installed, you won't have a problem. The only issue I have found is that I need to use the pad of my thumb to open my phone and once opened, I use the tip of my thumb for everything else. Why, I don't know. It may have to do with how I set up the sensor. For whatever reason, it works. The sensor is quick and accurate 99% of the time. Occasionally, I do have issues with the sensor not working and I have to use a password. However, that occurred on my previous phone too, where the sensor was on the back of the phone.
(◉‿◉)

Reactions: ocnbrze
If you use a protector that isn't approved, you shouldn't expect the sensor to work.
More specifically, Google can't guarantee that the UDFPS will function correctly with screen protectors they haven't tested/approved. It may still work fine (as with the Whitestone) but that's kind of up to the user to research and confirm on their own - and if you reach out to support about a UDFPS issue with a non-approved protector installed, the first thing they'll tell you to do is remove the protector.

I'm still super happy with the Whitestone protector on my P6P, but when most people ask me what protector they should buy I tell them to look at Google's approved list. That's just an easier recommendation to make, and I can make it confident that they won't have any problems using one of those approved protectors.

Reactions: markdoc
Upvote 0
More specifically, Google can't guarantee that the UDFPS will function correctly with screen protectors they haven't tested/approved. It may still work fine (as with the Whitestone) but that's kind of up to the user to research and confirm on their own - and if you reach out to support about a UDFPS issue with a non-approved protector installed, the first thing they'll tell you to do is remove the protector.

I'm still super happy with the Whitestone protector on my P6P, but when most people ask me what protector they should buy I tell them to look at Google's approved list. That's just an easier recommendation to make, and I can make it confident that they won't have any problems using one of those approved protectors.

I certainly agree with Codesplice (if anyone cares) Using an approved protector is the safest way to go. My purpose was to add another one that has worked perfectly for me. I also wanted to talk about the Whitestone because IMO, it's probably the best protector around. It is the only protector I know of that actually bonds to the underlying Corning glass screen. That bond reinforces the screen rather than just protecting it from scratches. Whichever one you choose, and I'm a strong believer in using a screen protector, you will be adding a layer of protection to your phone.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones