• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Revisiting Chrome

jackburnt

Android Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2009
Auburn, AL
So I've used Firefox since switching from Opera back in the day. Today at work I thought I'd try Chrome since EVERYTHING I do on my Droid is basically tied to Google.

My verdict: Not bad. If it weren't so tightly connected to my phone, I wouldn't use it. But there are some great extensions to use in combination with the phone. My favorite? Google Voice. I can reply to SMS message through the browser. I'll probably cancel my text messaging plan. My only lament is Handcent doesn't work with Google Voice, but oh well.

I also like the Calendar functionality built into Chrome.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I downloaded and installed chrome because I read someplace that it would sync bookmarks and such to the phone but it never did, I don't remember seeing any place to set it up.

i think that's only in the beta or only in the dev version of chrome.

Google Chrome (BETA)

and if you really want the developers version, search for chrome channel changer.

however, the beta and the dev get increasingly unstable. but i've used the dev for a long time and its not that unstable, just some random things everynow and then.

Upvote 0
well no. but i wasn't talking about syncing bookmarks to your droid. it's just if you go from different computer to different computer.

although syncing chrome bookmarks to droid browser bookmarks would be awesome. i don't know if there is a way to do that though.

edit: i realize i misread your post about syncing chrome to your phone. :/ sorry.

Upvote 0
Well guys I loaded the ad extenstion and a few others.. Chromes a keeper. Ads that would pop up on cleveland.com/sports don't, as well as a few other sites that I frequent.. Poof! And there is a speed increase extension but I dont know if it actually does anything but it does seem a bit faster..

Upvote 0
Eh... I have mixed feelings about Chrome. Sure it's fast and what not, but it's too minimalist for me. Also, for whatever reason, it seemed to have slowed down my laptop quite a bit; to the point where the whole OS operated as if it was years old. I had to uninstall Chrome to get it back up to par. It was quite weird.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones