1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips REVIVED from BOOTLOOP/BRICK !!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by blue2107, Jul 12, 2011.

1. blue2107

blue2107 Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2011
    Well I boot looped my phone too by trying to edit some xml files

But I somehow I revived it!!!

Originally running shabbymod .9 with updated modem

At first it would load to the bootanimation and vibrate every minute or so
    so I entered recovery mode and did a factory reset and wiped cache.

Then tried to re-run shabbymod .9 and everything ran fine until it got to the "installing frameworks" part. Then it just stalled while the phone loaded to a black screen with a bunch of force close pop ups. Then eventually stalled and became unresponsive.

So then my wife suggested a battery pull so we did.

Re-ran shabbymod .9 with sorta the same result ( stuck at installing frameworks ) but this time my phone only loaded to the " Samsung galaxy Prevail " screen then stalled.

So while shabbymod was still stuck at " Installing frameworks " my wife tried to power it off. Then when I looked up the shabbymod was already at the final stage with the credits and etc... saying press any key to continue. Dunno if it actually installed frameworks or not but I hit space bar and it closed.

But phone still would not boot

Well by this point I had almost given up hope.

But then I decided to try an older version of shabbymod

So I ran shabbymod .6 and VIOLA!!! It ran fine with no errors. booted up phone and it strangely ran the shabbymod .9 boot animation with the penguins but, eventually it all loaded up to shabbymod .6. Everything seems to work fine with no force close pop-ups THANK GOD

Will never try that again.

So Try at your own risk but I thought I'd at least share my horror story

Hope This helps

Advertisement

2. wetbiker7

wetbiker7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2011
    Male
    USN Vet. / Certified Drug and Alcohol Abuse Counse
    So-Cal
    We were talkin' about this earlier . It seems that most of the people NOT having problems are the ones that started with an earlier version of the ShabbyMod . Glad you got it fixed and good lookin' out on the post !:)

blue2107 likes this.
  3. blue2107

None

May 31, 2011
    Well It looks like I'm stuck on shabbymod .6 for now.

Every time I try to flash back to shabbymod .9 it hangs at installing frameworks And i'm boot looped again.

But can flash back to shabbymod .6 and all is well

UPDATE: Phone is now bricked by trying to update back to shabbymod .9 and now shabbymod .6.bat hangs at Push Rom/framework/res/layout/preference_dialog.xml

So I power the phone off then the bat quickly reads

Cleaning up files....
    error device not found
    error device not found
    Then credits etc...

So Frozen at "Samsung Galaxy Prevail" screen

UPDATE: Ran Shabbymod .4 and it took and loaded shabbymod .9 bootanimation again? So now I think I'm stuck on shabbymod .4 for now. Don't wanna run a newer shabbymod until I can get some help or a CWM Recovery Image arises

OH! and now that I'm on Shabbymod .4 my phone is now telling me there is a system update available? I didn't think that was possible from a shabbymod rom. Is it?

Well I'm going to update and see how it goes

Can't figure out why a newer Shabbymod won't run but any help would be appreciated

4. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    very odd, what you may wish to do is do the commands by hand.

as for teh boot animation since 0.9 was teh first to have it, flashing any other version wont affect it

5. blue2107

None

May 31, 2011
    Sorry man have no clue on how to do that manually. Could you provide some help? It would be greatly appreciated.

And do you think there are remnants of shabbymod .9 still left? And possibly the reason I can't boot? or allow the shabbymod .9.bat to completely finish flashing?

And why do you think an earlier mod worked before ( .6 ) and not now?

Oh and btw can we use your stock theme flasher to make basic custom themes?

Thanks for your help

6. MrBobo

MrBobo Android Expert

Jul 12, 2011
    Male
    Business Analyst
    Dimondale, MI
    Hi, I tried installing 9 on a new phone, I got stuck at the boost mobile logo screen on boot. Because I was stuck I didn't run the factory wipe, instead after reading the tips by blue I installed the 4, which was successful. Then I did the factory wipe. Everything worked fine so I put on 6, then 7 with no issues, did another factory wipe for good measure after 7. Everything worked fine.

Build 7 is beautiful, watching the changes between roms has been like watching a seed grow into a seedling, then a sapling, then a tree with buds, now flowers in 7... I had to go on to build 8, I had to see what fruit comes from the flowers.

In installing 8 I noticed a prompt that I may have skipped the first time I tried to install 9, the prompt to un-mount the sd card... could that have been my issue? I may never know.

8 loaded without a hitch. More updates to follow as I go on to 9!

7. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    i removed the prompt and made the phone reboot for you in 9, hence no need for teh prompt.

and yes just swap out frameworks-res.apk and you can have your very own theme. becareful tho as frameworks is a mean mistress

blue2107 likes this.
  8. blue2107

None

May 31, 2011
    But why do you think the newer shabbymod's won't work anymore

9. MrBobo

MrBobo Android Expert

Jul 12, 2011
    Male
    Business Analyst
    Dimondale, MI
    After getting 8 up and running and doing a factory clear I ran through the 9 loaded install. I had no errors but again the phone was stuck at the boost mobile logo screen after it completed. I then tried running the 9 loaded install again at the samsung boot screen and it completed without error, but it still was stuck at the logo screen. I tried the 9 lite version with the same results. Then I ran the 8 install again and it worked fine.

I guess something I had installed previously must be conflicting. I did root the phone previously but boost sent an update that undid that.

For now though, like I said I am happy with 8, I just am a little bummed I couldn't get to 9, it looks great on the screenshots. I will be making a donation either way :) Thanks for listening!

10. blue2107

None

May 31, 2011
    Maybe I'll try .8 too. I initially went from .6 to .9. So maybe that one will work for me too.

Glad it kinda worked out for you.

11. MrBobo

MrBobo Android Expert

Jul 12, 2011
    Male
    Business Analyst
    Dimondale, MI
    I hope that works out... if you can get to four I would think you could get all the way up to 8, but that's just me and I don't know much since it's all new to me :) Good luck!

12. redwingfaninnc

None
    Do any of you think this can help me fix my bricked phone? This is how I ruined it.
    1) Factory Reset 2) Enabled USB debugging 2)One click unroot - which got me stuck at boost mobile screen on bootup 3) Factory Reset - now stuck at boost mobile screen with the periodic vibrating. Tried doing one-click unroot again and now it cannot connect to the phone.

Any ideas?

13. blue2107

None

May 31, 2011
    Not really sure what happened. So you were rooted before? Why the unroot?
    If you still wanted root you could try flashing shabbymod .4. That is almost exactly the same as the stock rom. Or flash shabbymod .4 then unroot. Not really sure though I am not a developer so I really don't know.

Really hope you get it fixed though

Good Luck

14. redwingfaninnc

None
    I unrooted because I bought a droid x2. I wanted to return the phone ( I was still within my 30 day return policy)

I tried flashing shabbymod 0.4 and it I get the following lines
    "daemon not running. starting it now"
    "daemon started successfully"
    " 'eco.' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file"

Any ideas what this means

15. blue2107

None

May 31, 2011
    Did you enable USB debbugin and remove the SD card? It also helped me to turn the phone off. Plug it into the PC. Start the bat file. Then turn on the phone.

16. redwingfaninnc

None
    Unfortunately, since I did a system wipe, USB debugging has been disabled

17. blue2107

None

May 31, 2011
    Well I wiped my phone when it was bootlooped and bricked. And USB debbuging was still on. That's how it worked for me at least.

18. Necrotoxin

Necrotoxin Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 1, 2011
    College student

Eco should be echo. Right click the .bat file click edit the press ctrl+f and find eco. Replace it with echo.

19. redwingfaninnc

None
    Unfortunately it now just hangs at daemon started successfully.

It may be worth mentioning that prior to this I did not have shabbymod installed.

20. nightdrangon

nightdrangon Lurker
    None

Sep 5, 2011
    Thanks you so much for uploading this. I went down to 0.8 and it fixed my bootloop :)

21. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    Not to quote you on all of this but I did want to say, I am soooo very happy with odin and the ability for fixing about anything we can throw at it now.

Now as to your problem, Im glad you got it fixed easily. check out our all things root section and specifically CWM custom recovery and Odin.

Those 2 will make your life so much easier. Just remember to make current backups in CWM though :D That has been my undoing too many times, the back up was too old to be useful I had already moved on from that point lol.