1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

revoking permissions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by greg schmeg, Jul 21, 2013.

1. greg schmeg

greg schmeg Guest
    None

Oct 8, 2012
    Male
    Orlando FL
    I'm getting into figuring out which permissions I can and cannot revoke on different applications. Anybody have any tried and true advice on good permissions to revoke on different apps? Ones that you may be familiar with that I'm not, that could speed up my learning curve?

Advertisement

2. Doc

Doc Android Expert
    None

Aug 4, 2012
    Male
    IT Infrastructure Operations
    Portland OR

I guess for me if I have to revoke permissions on my rom on a app I just delete it.....:)

3. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    Male
    Commercial service Technician for ADT
    Gainesville, FL
    There is an app on play store I use to revoke permissions on an app by app basis called permissions denied (I use the pro version). I use it for apps like Red Laser (a good bar code scanner) which wants permissions to access contacts, and I don't want that. Now for removing permissions you have to be careful, apps can be broken by removing permissions that the aapp actually needs to run. There is no set list of permissions that are okay to remove. A permission revoked on one app may be fine, but when the same is done to a different app may break that app.

When I say be careful, I mean it. You can mess up your phone doing this to system apps. This can make your phone unstable or worse.

bilgerryan and Doc like this.
  4. greg schmeg

greg schmeg Guest
    None

Oct 8, 2012
    Male
    Orlando FL
    Thats exactly what I was referring to. I was looking for specifics like your Red Laser example. But I will take the advice and be extremely cautious and conscious of what I am doing. I'm also staying away from system apps

Doc likes this.
  5. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    Male
    Commercial service Technician for ADT
    Gainesville, FL
    If you do something that breaks the app, you just either restore the permission. If restoring the permission doesn't work, uninstall the app and re install it.

bilgerryan, greg schmeg and Doc like this.
  6. bilgerryan

bilgerryan Android Enthusiast
    None

May 29, 2013
    I revoke a few permissions, but I mainly use Auto Start Manager in ROM Toolbox to stop processes instead. I go through and stop any widgets that I don't use, disable friend reporting in Maps, disable anything with analytics, and any other processes I don't use or don't want to start automatically... It is much safer than revoking permissions. Really extends battery life as well.

greg schmeg and Doc like this.