• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Revolution to get Gingerbread starting 10/28/11 Revolution to get Gingerbread starting 10/28/11

So, my refurb that was sent to me updated successfully to Gingerbread... for about 1 hour, then my capacitive buttons became completely unresponsive. Battery pull and data factory reset did nothing. Back to the Droid until Verizon sends me my Droid Bionic that I basically got an early upgrade for.

Paid $250, extended 2 year contract and won't have to feel like I'm slumming it with the LG Revolution anymore.:D

Upvote 0
Paid $250, extended 2 year contract and won't have to feel like I'm slumming it with the LG Revolution anymore.:D

Sounds like you paid dearly for the privelege. I hope you're happy with the Bionic, though I can't think of a thing it will do that my Revo doesn't. If you check the forums for virtually every Android smartphone, unexplained rebooting is mentioned by someone everywhere. (There's a current thread on that on the Motorola Bionic forum here: https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/57897?tstart=0)
My experience with phones that do this is that there's no software fix and they need to be replaced. Unfortunately, refurbs that are just reflashed and repackaged often have other problems. I recommend anyone with a rampantly rebooting phone from any manufacturer to press hard for a replacement until you get one that's satisfactory. The Revo's record on rebooting isn't any worse than any other smartphone and mine has worked perfectly from day one. The Gingerbread update corrected the one problem I'd experienced (radios going to sleep and not waking up) and I'm very satisfied. Good luck with your Bionic. - MarkC

Upvote 0
Sounds like you paid dearly for the privelege. I hope you're happy with the Bionic, though I can't think of a thing it will do that my Revo doesn't. If you check the forums for virtually every Android smartphone, unexplained rebooting is mentioned by someone everywhere. (There's a current thread on that on the Motorola Bionic forum here: https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/57897?tstart=0)
My experience with phones that do this is that there's no software fix and they need to be replaced. Unfortunately, refurbs that are just reflashed and repackaged often have other problems. I recommend anyone with a rampantly rebooting phone from any manufacturer to press hard for a replacement until you get one that's satisfactory. The Revo's record on rebooting isn't any worse than any other smartphone and mine has worked perfectly from day one. The Gingerbread update corrected the one problem I'd experienced (radios going to sleep and not waking up) and I'm very satisfied. Good luck with your Bionic. - MarkC

Yes, before the REVO attempted to update to Gingerbread it had random reboots... I'm not talking about that. The Gingerbread update completely bricked my original REVO and the replacement didn't have a reboot problem, the capacitive buttons became unresponsive after 1 hour of use. Refurbs suck, the REVO was a pretty crappy phone and so are all the Verizon 4G phones before the Bionic. The only thing I don't like about the Bionic is MOTOBLUR, but I think I'll get used to it. It's just kind of how things look different. Like different icons for the basic messaging and browser apps. The Bionic is blazing fast, extremely responsive screen, and has really cool apps for connectivity that work extremely well and easy. I don't need a "cloud," my Bionic can pull files directly from my computer, streaming real time.

Upvote 0
I know this is late sorry. I love this phone and all but the battery life sucks! I heard this update will help battery life, but I don't know how much it helps. I run 4g all day and am constantly on facebook and bing. Should I go with an extended battery or hope this update will fix this? I'm updating right now so about how long does it take? Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
I just got my Revo a few weeks ago and love it so far. I checked the Os version and it' s 2.2.2. I used the Check New utility under About Phone --> Software Update but it comes back that nothing new is available. How can I get Gingerbread?

BTW, I use JuiceDefender on my phone and it does a great job of reducing battery usage throughout the day. I plug the phone in overnight and it can run all the next day with about 20 calls and lots of web browsing, texting and app searching.

Upvote 0
How do you know what version your phone should be running? I'm totally newb to all this seeing how the Revo is my first ever smartphone and i've only had it about 3 weeks now.

Currently mine is running the 2.2.2 version

Gingerbread is v. 2.3

There are higher versions all the way to 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) but I doubt
we'll see anything that high. 2.3 might be it for us Revo users. Heck, I'm still at 2.2.2 with no hope in sight.

Upvote 0
Gingerbread is v. 2.3

There are higher versions all the way to 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) but I doubt
we'll see anything that high. 2.3 might be it for us Revo users. Heck, I'm still at 2.2.2 with no hope in sight.

Mine is 2.3.4. I don't know how it got there. One day long ago I thought it might be updating, and it did, but back then I think it was to 2.3.3.

I wish we knew when they have stopped updates, as that's probably when I'll try my hand at a root. Looking mostly to attempt to gain RAM. My available RAM seems to stay in the 40-80 range (big-time lag to middlin' lag), on lucky occasions it reaches a whopping 110 or so. This is with at least daily total shutdowns for battery swaps.

512 MB high-end phones should never have been released.

Upvote 0
Hello, to everyone on here saying they just got their revo and it says no new update. I was on the lg forum website the other day and some "lg product pro" said that google only keeps these updates for the various phones on their servers for so long and then deletes them. He said to download some utility from lg and update through your computer i guess. I don't have all the details i just know it's supposedly not supposed to work by checking for new software from the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones