• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Revolutions Gingerbread Feature Changes

sgschwend

Oct 5, 2011
Since upgrading, I have not been able to find the location that turns off applications or services automatic updates. Can anybody help?

Another question, is there a way of turning off installed services so they will not come on at startup (without un-installing them)?

Thanks ahead of time.

Steve

News: I have observed more than once that the phone looses the control of the lights and does not turn them on. It has occurred after running updates, and also after a new power cycle.

Other notes: The update did not keep my Gmail password.

Regarding automatic updating of apps, if you go to the Market and select My Apps, you should then be able to open the Market page for any of the downloaded apps you've installed. And, there should be a check box on the page to enable/disable automatic updates. Shutting off automatic updates isn't likely to have any impact on battery power.

As for turning off services/apps that run on startup, if they're native and came pre-installed, you can't prevent them from starting up (on a non-rooted phone). And, if you kill them with a task killer, they'll likely restart on their own.

Granted, I'm not a continual user, but my phone lasts all day with the standard battery. Power consumption actually improved a bit after the Gingerbread update. I keep WiFi, BT, GPS off until I need them and have removed most of the constantly updating widgets (mostly for news, weather, etc.) that I had running previously. - MarkC

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones