1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Rezound auto white balance

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rustyhokie, Nov 27, 2011.

1. rustyhokie

rustyhokie Member
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    Any one else having issues with the auto white balance? When shooting either still or video in automatic white balance the processor is way off.

Advertisement

maddfay likes this.
  2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    I was wondering when someone was going to post about this. Yeah, i must have gotten the batch of phones that was meant to be shipped to jersey shore because my auto white balance setting makes everything orangey.

Inside, i just set it to "incandescent" and everything looks normal

misan23 and trophynuts like this.
  3. jayochs

jayochs Android Enthusiast
    None

May 14, 2010
    Critical Infrastructure Protection Bureau, Office
    Brick, NJ
    ^^ HA!

but yeah, i tend to change my balance myself..they even said in some reviews that the pics came out a little orangey

4. misan23

misan23 Member
    None

Jan 12, 2010
    Auto white balance and indoor lighting on any camera is usually pretty horrible, even my Nikon D300 has awful indoor auto WB. Just get used to setting incandescent all the time you are inside :D

CaptainObvious likes this.
  5. rustyhokie

rustyhokie Member
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    I realize that I am comparing a DSLR to a phone but my Canon 30D has much better indoor white balance. Oh well at least I know I am not the only one coming out with somewhat orange pictures. Just wish they were slightly more Burnt Orange. Go Hokies :)

6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Oh man. I wish our standards for phone cameras could be that high.

In other news, i took a picture inside today of my girlfriend and when i went to look at the picture in the gallery, snooki was superimposed over my girlfriend. Wtf? Is there a fix for this? I have a black girlfriend

7. jayochs

None

May 14, 2010
    Brick, NJ
    hahahahaahaahaha dude you're making me lol with your damn comments :p

try the incandescent lighting instead of auto, you might be surprised.

8. maddfay

maddfay Newbie
    None

Dec 29, 2009
    Enjoying Planet Earth XD
    Earth
    I noticed it, too! It's horrible.. I did switch to incandescent.. but seriously, I think the "auto" part of the "auto white balance" isn't working... With my TB you can sre it change color on its own till it balances... With this, you can stare at it and it seems to do nothing.. not trying to balance itself out at all.

9. SamXp

SamXp Android Enthusiast
    None

Actually, I think the White Balance capabilities on this phone are incredible. I suspect that the reason so many are having issues is that the compensation is more dramatic and an incorrect setting won't be just a "little off". Auto usually nails it, for me, but occasionally I'll have to force an incandescent mode when most of the lighting is filament.

10. zazan

zazan Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I can empathize with the problems the WB is a real issue. Photography is my major hobby and I hoped for a better experience with this phone. However it is early and the WB issue is fixable with a software update so maybe this will be coming.

11. SamXp

SamXp Android Enthusiast
    None

What do you see as the issue with WB? Auto not selecting the correct mode? Or the correct White Balance not being available?

12. jayochs

None

May 14, 2010
    Brick, NJ
    ok i understand photography is a major hobby for you, buuuut i mean, you have to realize this is a phone, not an SLR lol..i'd figure you'd have some sick camera with sick lenses to take pics with......not a phone.

for a phone, this thing is perfect. just gotta remember guys, this is a phone!

13. zazan

zazan Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    OK, guys my criticism has nothing to do with my hobby. My issue is that the white balance really sucks as does the metering.

The auto settings only adjust properly when lit by natural light and even then only under very balanced lighting conditions. A sun-rise or sun-set scene for example gets totally blown in both hue and saturation, so much so, it looks surreal as do the people in the scene. When shooting indoors under incandescent there is no way white even approaches looking white, even with the setting set at incandescent. Set on auto the whole thing is deep orange while when set on incandescent there is a pink glow in the center of the screen which transfers to the picture while the perimeter is still slightly orange.

When outside the metering causes the entire picture to be too dark even on cloudy days (pretty standard here in Seattle). I don't know what process it uses but generally it should be 60/40 center-weighted for this kind of application or even center balanced matrix. The sky gets way too much priority as does any back-light. It seems that there is some kind of bias to bright scene aspects to which the metering defaults. Maybe this is a matrix configuration issue.

Phone or no phone this is just electronics and the WB and metering are just firmware algorithms. It needs to be adjusted by HTC. My old flip phone took better pictures, my blackberry and droid 2 take better pictures.

I'm not trying to be too critical, this is a great phone and as far as a piece of equipment goes I love it but it is not perfect. The camera definitely can use some improvement.

On the bright side this thing is only two weeks old and I would expect a company like HTC will correct these issues in their first update. As early adapters we all get to be part of the QC team. When the major issues that folks have identified are fixed this phone will become a classic in my opinion.

14. jayochs

None

May 14, 2010
    Brick, NJ
    idk, this is on auto balance and i think it looked pretty good for indoors without a flash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

one thing i've learned to do is TURN OFF AUTO-ENHANCE. this SUCKS. it makes everything TOO sharp and TOO noisy. looks much better with it off

15. SamXp

SamXp Android Enthusiast
    None

Obviously, this is no professional camera, but I am astounded by the pictures it takes. I took dozens of test shots last night, trying to see just what you're describing, and I simply don't see it.
    For one, I don't believe that the "Auto" setting automatically determines a custom white balance, but rather it simply selects one of the four predefined modes. I was shooting some pictures under filament (halogen) lighting in Auto and white balance appeared correct, good flesh tones, albeit perhaps a bit warm. I pressed another part of the screen to meter for that zone and it switched to fluorescent, and suddenly everything was orange. I was able to replicate this by actually selecting the fluorescent WB mode.
    With only four modes to cover all possible lighting conditions, you're obviously not going to approach the type of correct tones/hues you get by metering a proper 18% gray card, but if you need that level of correction, then 20 seconds of post processing will achieve it.

I'm not trying to criticise you. I've been anxious to discuss the Rezounds camera with someone knowledgeable, but when you discard the camera as no better than your old flip phone (I need to see some of those shots!), then it is a little hard to take you seriously.

16. zazan

zazan Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    SamXP,

I'm really glad you like your phone and the camera. I wish you all the best with it.

I like my phone too but the camera on my phone still sucks. I really don't care how seriously I'm taken. I don't mean to sound harsh but we are talking personal opinion here not absolute truth. I could be that I have a phone with a camera issue. Believe me I have tried all the setting corrections.

I didn't post this to start an opinion contest but only to indicate that the original poster was not alone in their frustration.

17. SamXp

SamXp Android Enthusiast
    None

This isn't an opinion contest. It's difficult to believe someone could think this camera sucks, that's all. I'm probably just easily impressed and don't have the discriminating eye you do.

18. zazan

zazan Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    SamXP,

Trust me my eyes are pretty normal its my phone. Since this is the only issue and since I only use the phone camera for "emergency" shots I don't particularly care about the quality but the WB on my particular phone really is bad. I hope there is an update that addresses this. If not so be it I'll live with it.

In every other respect I really like my phone. It far surpasses all my expectations (but the camera WB sucks ;) ).

19. misan23

misan23 Member
    None

Jan 12, 2010
    The metering, as measured against my light meter I use for balancing my flashes for portraits is 1-1.5 stops on the negative side, you can push it by a max of 2 stops + so its easily corrected. I think this is done to balance this camera's tendency to blow highlights to the wind. Do I wish this thing had a center weighted/spot meter? Heck yeah. I personally set it for always +1 exposure comp and it seems far better now.

zazan likes this.
  20. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Newbie
    None

Nov 8, 2011
    +1. Though the pictures have good rez, the color and saturation are pretty tragic.

Tags: