• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rezound gives more details in Beat Audio

I was wondering if anyone has used their HTC Rezound with the Power Amp app and how does it compare.? If anyone can answer this I would appreciate it.

I'm running Power Amp on my Rezound, and prefer it to the stock app with Beats enabled. I just don't care for the processing/equalization with Beats. Frankly, I think it was simply a gimmick for Verizon to sell this phone, when it's got so much more going for it.

As far as the detail and clarity that was the impetus of this thread, I agree... after sampling a few tracks that I've listened to numerous times, I'm hearing more detail than I ever had before. I don't believe it has anything to do with Beats, and everything to do with better-than-average hardware (both in the phone and in the headphones), and a better match between said hardware.

Of course, my opinions are purely my own, and totally subjective. I don't look to mp3 players and other portable entertainment devices for a truly hi-fi experience... I've had numerous high-end, finely tuned car audio and home audio systems for that. But, the Rezound fills the gaps in between quite nicely. :)

Upvote 0
For the record.... my ibeats are still in the box completely untouched. I'm just saying

why? they're headphones that came with the phone, why not try them out at least?

to me, putting money into ear buds is ******ed; you put money into cans if you're a SERIOUS music listener/musician/audiophile like me....not earbuds. therefore, i've never put money into earbuds, and i've always used $10 jbuds. now i finally have a decent pair of earbuds that came with my phone, and i think they sound pretty damn good for listening to the stuff i listen to.

Upvote 0
why? they're headphones that came with the phone, why not try them out at least?

to me, putting money into ear buds is ******ed; you put money into cans if you're a SERIOUS music listener/musician/audiophile like me....not earbuds. therefore, i've never put money into earbuds, and i've always used $10 jbuds. now i finally have a decent pair of earbuds that came with my phone, and i think they sound pretty damn good for listening to the stuff i listen to.

Never been a fan of earphones, though i admit i haven't tried to use any since the 90's :eek:

I even found a pair of Bose noise cancellation (kind that cover the whole ear) on an airplane once, only to give them away.....

Reactions: jayochs
Upvote 0
Never been a fan of earphones, though i admit i haven't tried to use any since the 90's :eek:

I even found a pair of Bose noise cancellation (kind that cover the whole ear) on an airplane once, only to give them away.....

i think that's your problem..90's earbuds sucked lol they're more comfortable now. obviously, over the head ones are much better still.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
i think that's your problem..90's earbuds sucked lol they're more comfortable now. obviously, over the head ones are much better still.

With the new earbuds I'm noticing that manufacturers are packing them with extra cushions for a more customized fit. I took the default ones off the Beats and threw on the smaller ones. I do like the Klipsch ones that are shaped a little oblonged so there's a more snug fit.

Of course there's another explanation, maybe DA79 has a phobia about ear penetrations... aurispenetraphobia?!?! :p

Upvote 0
Whoever on here suggested that Beats was similar to Barcus Berry (BBE), I absolutely agree. I will admit that I too figured it to be a gimmick, and it certainly didn't have anything to do with why I bought the phone - but it's a pleasant surprise that I'm really happy with. I also agree that it isn't good on just rap (which constitutes a small portion of what I listen to), but also even on classical. Mozart sounds absolutely incredible!

I'm not super impressed with the headphones, but they're good - and can definitely handle a stronger and punchier signal than any of my other, admittedly cheaper, previous pairs.

One thing that I'd like to see is them incorporate a volume normalizer, so I don't have to keep changing it on the train as my mp3's randomly switch from Mozart to Motley Crue... lol

Upvote 0
I was wondering if anyone has used their HTC Rezound with the Power Amp app and how does it compare.? If anyone can answer this I would appreciate it.

I started using Power Amp a few days ago and I love it. The gaps between tracks on the stock music player was driving me nuts, so I thought I'd give Power Amp a try. It exceeded my expectations in every way. It does cost $5 on the market for the trial unlocker, or you can search your information box for a way around that.

Upvote 0
Who is this DA79 person you are referring too???? Hmmmmmm

Let me go get a q-tip to get to the bottom of this..... :p

ipod.gif

Upvote 0
When I first saw this I laughed. Partly because of TxGoat's setup and partly... well just because. After thinking about it though I think this is just a taste of what's to come. I mean companies like HTC have invested HUGE amounts of money in "Beats Technology". So at this point whether they keep things like they are or actually try to develop additional tech to improve Beats, it's a sure thing that they want to make their money back and will be including it in a variety of devices to get their moneys worth so to speak. I know most companies are all about the bottom line and keeping cost at a minimum so profits can be at a maximum but I really do hope that they continue to work on and improve this "tech" so that even audiophiles have little to complain about. I say little because there will always be complainers and no product is perfect anyway.

Upvote 0
I got a wild hair last weekend and heard that HP was going to sell off their HP Touchpads for $149 for their 32 GB model and $99 for their 16 GB model (refurbed models). So I figured I'd go ahead and throw in a bid to see if I could get one. To my surprise, despite the Ebay servers going nuts, I wound up landing a 32 GB model. Cranked the thing up and found that it also has Beats audio built in. I figured I'd compare the Beats audio on the Rezound and the Touchpad. While they both amplified the bass, I found the Rezound sounded a bit cleaner. I even used the same MP3 to play on both devices. The Rezound is definitely a nice MP3 player.

Upvote 0
again your making that call because you see the headsets and beats on. Like I said if you blindfold yourself and have someone switch between beats and like power amp. I bet you couldnt tell which was which. As many on here has said they basically copied the beats settings with it. Funny how no one will take my little test.

I dont doubt it sounds good. As I have it on my bolt and my cheap ear buds I have sound good with it but they sound just as good with power amp and also the SRS setting. So you have nothing special and heck I would wager your earbud innards are probably made with the same stuff as the cheap earbuds. Now you know why he came up with the Beats eq setting. After all DR dre is in it to make money. Monster is in it to make money. If people cant hear a noticeable difference in sound quality between the beats headphones/earbuds to lets say other ones in their price range or the cheap sets. Then they would have a hard time selling their products.

This guy makes the most sense. Beats are a gimmick. It's a gimmick because a) its simple eq'ing b) adding an effect and c) most likely people will associate with Dr. Dre and want to buy it. People see basketball players and celebrities using/wearing them and they want it.

Beats do enhance the music, but you would have to be foolish not to think things would sound better or different when you're coming from a default flat EQ, to a boosted frequency EQ. Especially when increasing or decreasing treble/bass vs a bass oriented /neutral headphone.

I guarantee you if you purchased a pair of neutral headphones like a phonak 122, head direct RE0, Vsonic Gr07 etc etc the music would sound clean and detailed with no eq'ing. Gimmick/gimmicky? Yes.

The beats headphones curve is bass accentuated and dropping off hard on treble. Thus you won't hear certain higher pitched frequencies until you bump up the mids and treble. Those sounds you probably were hearing are now amplified due to the bump in EQ. The music sounding cleaner now has consequences. The bass is reduced and you have less bass bloat and more realistic (not so with beats) bass, thus allowing the other instruments to even out and sound "cleaner."

More importantly if you have crap headphones (ie beats or sub $50 iems) you're never going to experience the music that you would on a quality phone. Source is very important. Software won't help a bad headphone, it just masks its short-comings.

You also can't make a comparison by switching something on and off and saying, "Oh, its better." You would need to listen to it for a week or more and then go back and listen to the previous setting a week or so. You'd probably find your ears will get so used to it then you'll have a hard time justifying one setting over the other. Not always, but you should notice how your ears slowly welcome whatever it is you change to and from. Assuming its to your liking.

At the end of the day, whatever works for you, works for you. Using the food example: you probably read this thread and it influenced your experience with beats more than it should have. ABX beats vs EQ to mimic beats - i bet you'd see a 50/50 distribution. Many of those 50 thinking it was beats when it wasnt.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones