• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*Rezound ICS OTA is live Thread*

But they could have pushed that leak a long time ago. They pushed the Froyo update for the Eris back in the day with way more bugs that ics for rezound.

1. Do you mean they could have pushed the latest ICS leak? From what I have learned from this and other forums, the latest ICS leak still has some bugs and problems. Minor bugs and problems, to be sure, but certainly not ready for prime time.

2. The Eris never had Froyo, Android 2.2. It received Eclair, 2.1 in May of 2010. We bought our Erises at the end of May that year, and the first thing the phones did when turned on was pull down the Eclair update and install it. HTC has provided at least one major update to the version of Eclair that runs on the Eris since 2010. Then there was a smaller update after that. Across all three of our Erises we never had any problems with the OS, other than the usual (to this day) problem with Android failing to play nicely with Microsoft Outlook Exchange mail servers. Had to buy Touchdown to communicate properly with the MS Outlook Exch. servers.

In any event, HTC's reasoning makes much more sense to me than the usual speculation that the forums are rampant with: VZW is holding ICS back so they can sell more MAXXs, or so they can clear out/sell more Nexuses, or VZW and HTC don't want the Rezound getting ICS to steal the spotlight from the Dinc 4G LTE, etc., etc.

Upvote 0
You're right eclair, brainfart. But I remember saying that wasn't ready to go since I'd installed the leak, and out it came anyway same version with all the same bugs. Posts are probably still in the Eris forums.

I guess we'll maybe see at the end of the month when/if they roll it out. If it's newer than the latest leak then I guess your right, if its the same version well.......
And knowing HTC's history of updates, if there was a newer version that was going to get pushed at the end of the month it would have been leaked by now. They need their beta testers!!

Upvote 0
And knowing HTC's history of updates, if there was a newer version that was going to get pushed at the end of the month it would have been leaked by now. They need their beta testers!!

Hmmm, didn't think of that. The lack of a new leak kind of raises the possibility of something else going on. It really has been quite a while since the latest leak showed up.

If you apply Occam's razor (aka lex parsimoniae) to the possible causes for the delay, and use all of the few facts that we really have (sudden delay, last leak had some bugs, no new leak for a while), the simplest explanation for the delay and the lack of a new leak is a major rewrite of part or all of the code. If we allow speculations into our reasoning, it leads to someone is holding back the release of ICS for the Rezound. But we still don't know who or why.

I tend to favor the rewrite reason, it is the simplest explanation, and it fits the facts perfectly. Don't forget that HTC's revenue took a big dive last fiscal quarter. They know very well that they can't make any mistakes that would hurt their reputation and tank their sales even more. Thus they may be trying to be very careful to deliver a flawless upgrade to us, and everyone. I hope.

Of course there is the "Power of Positive Thinking" explanation: at the last minute HTC decided that all of us loyal and enthusiastic Rezound owners really deserve to upgrade straight to Jelly Bean. Again, I hope, I really hope. ;)

Upvote 0
Ok....lately my Rezound has been acting kinda wierd. Can't really put a finger on what it is...just doesn't seem as smooth and some apps aren't working as inteneded..but eventually they do work. I have read that in the past others have noticed this happening to their phones right before a major update came out. Dunno if this is just me hoping that something is going to happen soon of if this is really some kind of precursor to getting ICS soon. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?? Anyway......I guess time will tell.

Upvote 0
The odd behavior is probably from them hitting menu>System>Software and Updates 100x a day ;)
@ whubble your dreaming man! I wouldnt doubt JB will hit us (if they have something better than siri google will want it in alot of hands) but it would be after everyone has already forgotten about this phone, I do like the enthusiasm though. Honestly though I'll admit to not looking super hard but i don't remember seeing anything major in the 3.14 leak bug wise? If you could point in the right direction I'd appreciate it, I might install it anyway, if it's horrible root and something custom will fix that.

Upvote 0
HTC's home page has a link to a twitter conversation on the bottom of the page, below the big splash screen of the One. It links to a thread on Twitter in which HTC responds to a question about ICS for the Rezound with this answer: "We are updating our schedule, and will share more soon!" The post was made at 2:47 today.

Here is a link to the Twitter page: https://twitter.com/htcusa/status/226433225747222528

If you click on the "details" link of the question from Thad Beckman, who asked HTC when the ICS upgrade is coming to the Rezound, you will start to see a number of similar questions that are all answered with similar answers. The answers were all posted within the last hour.

Upvote 0
Merged ICS threads :)

Just over a week left till end of month. I'm curious as to what the reason will be if we agaon don't see ICS OTA.

My girl just got the SG3 and I'm supremely jealous. ICS is silky smooth. HATE touchwiz over top of it though. I'm dying for an HTC phone with ICS...

Yeah, my buddy got a SG3 and while nice, its still Samsung with its ugly touchwiz. Love how smooth the phone itself is, but man is the interface awful. I've also been spoiled with my Nexus 7 and Jelly Bean :)

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I loaded the latest leak yesterday and it seems fine. I can't prove it but it seems as though turning off autosync was killing my data connection completely and would turn back on. rebooted removed widget and hasnt happened since so, maybe wubble was right and they are squashing a couple bugs.....who knows but it is nice to be able to run sense, not hack anything and get rid of the "personalization" button. so smooth now....

Upvote 0
Just yesterday HTC stopped waffling around about the ICS upgrade for the Desire HD, and said that they would not be upgrading the Desire HD to ICS.

To reflect that decision, HTC apparently crossed out the Desire HD on the list of phones that will be upgraded to ICS, and none of the other phones, including our Rezounds, is crossed out.

The link:Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich Updates

This might imply that the Rezound, and all of the other phones on the list are still going to get ICS, but the schedule might be changed. I really can't blame HTC for revising the deployment schedule for ICS, it was very ambitious. They had lots of phones scheduled for the upgrade in the June/July slot. Considering that ICS for each phone has to be heavily tweaked, at least, maybe they over committed them selves, and have to adopt a more realistic schedule. Of course this does not explain why it has taken so long for the Rez to get its update in the first place.

There is speculation on some sites that the Thunderbolt will also be dropped from the list of devices getting ICS. The reasoning is that the Tbolt and the Desire HD are virtually identical, with the same specs.

Upvote 0
Just yesterday HTC stopped waffling around about the ICS upgrade for the Desire HD, and said that they would not be upgrading the Desire HD to ICS.

To reflect that decision, HTC apparently crossed out the Desire HD on the list of phones that will be upgraded to ICS, and none of the other phones, including our Rezounds, is crossed out.

The link:Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich Updates

This might imply that the Rezound, and all of the other phones on the list are still going to get ICS, but the schedule might be changed. I really can't blame HTC for revising the deployment schedule for ICS, it was very ambitious. They had lots of phones scheduled for the upgrade in the June/July slot. Considering that ICS for each phone has to be heavily tweaked, at least, maybe they over committed them selves, and have to adopt a more realistic schedule. Of course this does not explain why it has taken so long for the Rez to get its update in the first place.

There is speculation on some sites that the Thunderbolt will also be dropped from the list of devices getting ICS. The reasoning is that the Tbolt and the Desire HD are virtually identical, with the same specs.

lets see...a week ago HTC said they would be updating the Rezound to ICS within 2 weeks...and now it appears they are going to change that...and possible delay it for months....and you say you can't blame them?:thinking::thinking:

That it was just too ambitious to be able to upgrade this phone or other phones that have been out much longer?

Sorry..this hints at a business model of forced obsolescence ...and it stinks. I am not saying HTC is the only one on the hook here...IMO the whole cell phone industry is despicable.
:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
lets see...a week ago HTC said they would be updating the Rezound to ICS within 2 weeks...and now it appears they are going to change that...and possible delay it for months....and you say you can't blame them?:thinking::thinking:

We don't really know that they are going to delay the Rezound. In fact, and looking strictly at the known facts, all we know is that they are updating their schedule. We don't know what they are going to do, and we don't know why. All we can do is indulge in speculation about it, which I don't do. I'm just reporting on what I find. Granted I made the mistake of stating "This might imply...." when I should have said "At least as of the time they posted this...." Sorry for that, I do try to avoid making that kind of error.

As far as the fact that I don't blame them, perhaps I should have said "At this point I don't blame them." Because that is how I meant it, right now, today, ignoring the past delays. After all I can't go back and undo it no matter how upset I am.

I did point out that I thought they should not have done what they did in the first place:
Whubblesbuddy said:
Of course this does not explain why it has taken so long for the Rez to get its update in the first place.
In fact, I think they should not have loaded their software engineers up with such and ambitious schedule, they were almost destined to fail.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones