• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rezound, is the glass durable?

I knew the Rezound wasn't going to be as durable as my old Eris, but I probably dropped my Eris 20-30 times, once, bouncing down a flight of stairs, with little damage at all to show for it. I guess I'm paying for being so careless with the Eris...or something.

I had to replace my Eris twice. Once after it failed to boot for no apparent reason, which was covered under warranty, and once for a broken screen. It only took three drops

Larger screens are more susceptible to damage not only because of the obvious increase in surface area, but the lack of proportionate thickness. It's bigger, but not thicker, so it's strength is compromised. Also keep in mind the added weight of the phone, which adds to its impact energy, and the decreased rigidity of the frame itself, which increases the risk of flexing. Needless to say, the glass does not flex with the frame, so something's gotta give and it won't likely be the adhesive edges that fail under torsion.

Of course, I am just adding somewhat technical jargon to what most people probably already know through common sense. But as they say, "the bigger they are, the harder they fall." Can't blame the quality of the glass. I know you didn't but just for others to think about.

"Is it heavy?"
"Yes."
"Then it's expensive. Put it back."

Upvote 0
Updating after owning for seven months, the glass is more prone to scratching than my Droid x. I love it still though just wish I'd kept my screen protector on. I'm careful and have a couple scratches without ever dropping it.

I'm extremely careful with my phone. I've had this thing for a few months and there's already a nice scratch right in the middle of the screen. I didn't want to go the screen protector route b/c it takes away from the screen which is one of the reasons I bought this phone. But this glass is NOTHING compared to what Motorola puts out - my last two phones were the OG and the DX and neither had a scratch after 3, 3 1/2 years of use - very disappointed in how soft this glass is. :(

Upvote 0
The iPhone uses Gorilla glass and I have lots of friends who have broken the front and back of their phones so I don't get caught up in the Gorilla glass marketing buzz. Several companies not make hardened glass like Gorilla glass. We have four Rezounds in our family and we have yet to have a problem with a screen. All the phones have taken falls.

Upvote 0
Correct, I wasn't trying to blame the glass in particular. It's just, as you mentioned, it's larger, heavier, and I'd add, more rigid. The Eris has a softer case. The phone seemed able to flex and dent a fair amount, without damage. The case of the Rezound is really stiff. Of course that makes it feel higher quality, but it also means there is little to no shock absorption ability.

I haven't done anything with mine yet. I did run across "Rezound touch screen digitizer glass replacement", on Amazon for $25. I'm curious if that is worth the cash, and work. Reviews aren't very helpful.

Upvote 0
I have been using my Rezound for six months now without a case or screen protector. I haven't been very careful; I pocket the phone all the time, about 10% of the time with keys and change. I have probably dropped it four or five times, but only once on the pavement. There are still no scratches on it as far as I can see.

Today I got a case with a built in kickstand, so I can read news stories during lunch more comfortably. The case feels like hardened plastic, so I suspect it is not as forgiving in a fall as a silicone case. After reading these posts above today, I guess I have just been lucky that I have no scratches. I think I will stop going naked and ad a screen protector as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones