• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ridiculously repetitive pop-up advert

Come on guys - the ad that has been showing in the last couple of days pops up ALL the time now.

And it's extremely difficult to get rid of it on a phone browser - even on the big screen on a Galaxy Note.

If something isn't done about it I will have to seriously consider my patronage here and I doubt I will be alone in thinking the same.

Reactions: Biscuit1001
Come on guys - the ad that has been showing in the last couple of days pops up ALL the time now.

And it's extremely difficult to get rid of it on a phone browser - even on the big screen on a Galaxy Note.

If something isn't done about it I will have to seriously consider my patronage here and I doubt I will be alone in thinking the same.

Hello ifb. I've placed your concern here in the Suggestion Box and Feedback area where Admins and Moderators check often.

Fwiw, we see these come up off and on here and the most common remedy is a good ad-blocker. In a device (rather than a PC or laptop) it's a bit more of a challenge, I know.

The Owner and Admins don't like those ads either, and struggle to get the agencies involved to not include them in their ad rotation here at AF.

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
I run three websites with ads and also two adservers; it just needs proper configuration of the ad properties. By all means show a pop-up once in a session if you have to, but not repeatedly - it should be so easy to fix. Also, as I said before, it's very difficult to close the pop-up on a phone browser. The pop-up is not sympathetically designed for the target audience! I don't believe in ad-blockers. Websites like yours and mine rely on ads for income and for me to start using ad-blockers would by hypocritical to the extreme.

Upvote 0
I run three websites with ads and also two adservers; it just needs proper configuration of the ad properties. By all means show a pop-up once in a session if you have to, but not repeatedly - it should be so easy to fix. Also, as I said before, it's very difficult to close the pop-up on a phone browser. The pop-up is not sympathetically designed for the target audience! I don't believe in ad-blockers. Websites like yours and mine rely on ads for income and for me to start using ad-blockers would by hypocritical to the extreme.

I don't blame you for your frustration.. we used to post about it daily in here. I thought it ended a while back, but it continues.

As you say, in a device it's hard to navigate even to the "x" to get rid of some of them.

I don't consider ad-blocking hypocritical, so I use them. Paid members here (like myself) support the site: http://androidforums.com/payments.php as well as the ads, so my guilt level is pretty low about adblock+. :D

I once got so mad at the full screen ad that appeared while I was heading to a thread for some Mod work, that I shut down my browser, opened it back up in "about:blank," cleared all cookies and cache, then installed adblock+.

Boat browser on my devices do the same. Yay. :D

As far as Admin configuration... perhaps they'll chime in. :)

Upvote 0
I mainly use Tapatalk when browsing from my phone, which avoids that issue (though Tapa has occasional glitches of its own!).

One thing I find with that wretched ad on a mobile browser is that the easiest way to close it is to zoom right out. Then I can reliably hit the (now tiny) close button, which otherwise is often ignored (or redraws somewhere else after you think you've clicked it).

Upvote 0
Not me as per post above. I feel like we had another pop-up or other ad based issue prior which only affected folks abroad a couple weeks ago.

Interesting notion, that it might be regional (this time ;)).

I know the first time it reared its head, everyone complained about it, but the likes of Xyro, DURX and myself weren't affected. Seems it's (potentially) reversed this time.

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0
I've not seen it at all, maybe it IS outside the US. If we can pinpoint to the best of details possible, and a screenshot, I'll report it. Trust me, we hate these ads too. I hate them because all of you hate them (and they annoy me), and Rob hates them because I nag him about it and he has to fight with the ad companies. Ha.

Screenshot?

Upvote 0
Mobile at the moment so this is using xScope on my phone.

The ad could be blank as my connection is rubbish at the moment. It's been for a windows 8 tab of late iirc but I'll check when I get home.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368899485577.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368899485577.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 75
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368899494435.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368899494435.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 53
Upvote 0
I don't blame you for your frustration.. we used to post about it daily in here. I thought it ended a while back, but it continues.

As you say, in a device it's hard to navigate even to the "x" to get rid of some of them.

I don't consider ad-blocking hypocritical, so I use them. Paid members here (like myself) support the site: http://androidforums.com/payments.php as well as the ads, so my guilt level is pretty low about adblock+. :D

I once got so mad at the full screen ad that appeared while I was heading to a thread for some Mod work, that I shut down my browser, opened it back up in "about:blank," cleared all cookies and cache, then installed adblock+.

Boat browser on my devices do the same. Yay. :D

As far as Admin configuration... perhaps they'll chime in. :)

The problem is that if big sites like this encourage more people to use ad- blockers, it could potentially damage smaller sites like mine :(

Upvote 0
The problem is that if big sites like this encourage more people to use ad- blockers, it could potentially damage smaller sites like mine :(

Staffers here do represent the site, so you're making a good point about the possible ripple effect of Guides and Moderators encouraging adblockers.

I'd say that warrants discussion (as if the Admins don't have enough to discuss ;)).

You brought up a valid point, ifb.
icon14.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones